Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 03:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harrison the Beast  (Read 3258 times)
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #50 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 10:19 »

Spot on Stink! These are grown men playing this game. They absolutely know what they are signing up for. Merriweather's hit on Heap was the only one I saw too as being totally malicious. He literally launched himself and did a head butt on Heap. It is totally disgraceful. It is disgraceful that the NFL can go in and fine players, and now suspend them, for plays that aren't flagged. Silly. The refs were right there on all those plays. I am sure Merriweather was flagged. I doubt that Robinson was flagged. Harrison certainly was not flagged. Why doesn't the NFL put some kind of foan barrier on top of the hard helmet shell, much like NASCAR's "safer barrier?" It doesn't have to be thick, or heavy. I'll tell you why. No sound from the impact. No crunch. Hypocrites.

On the other hand, children under 18, whose parents are signing them up to play football, should be better protected against these types of hits. The kids are unable to really make the decision to play themselves. That's my .02

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #51 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 10:36 »

Penso,

You like watching 5-3? I don't.

I like watching Pens 5, Flyers 3.  Or is that not what you meant?

Hockey's a completely different game, Otis, with the violence coming not only via the natural action of the sport, but also the traditional goon code.  Also, there is the constant risk of somebody getting Malarchuk-ed or a piece of frozen rubber to the chops at 100 mph.  So risk and violence in hockey must be assessed differently than football. 
/hijack

Now the NFL can suspend-- midseason-- players for "intent".  Does anyone else here see pre-lockout posturing?  It's as if the league is sending the message, "Strike?  We'll just suspend your asses one at a time instead."  It also gives Goodell the chance to say, "We took the initiative in player safety!" when in fact it's just another form of player control.  Anybody who thinks the league is concerned about the safety of the players is fucking deluded.  Shit, all you have to do is look at the pathetic pension plan to see that.  It's about public image and bargaining leverage come 2011. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #52 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 10:38 »

Now the NFL can suspend-- midseason-- players for "intent".  Does anyone else here see pre-lockout posturing?  It's as if the league is sending the message, "Strike?  We'll just suspend your asses one at a time instead."  It also gives Goodell the chance to say, "We took the initiative in player safety!" when in fact it's just another form of player control.  Anybody who thinks the league is concerned about the safety of the players is fucking deluded.  Shit, all you have to do is look at the pathetic pension plan to see that.  It's about public image and bargaining leverage come 2011. 

100%

as in correct.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #53 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 10:47 »

So, is douchery now a requirement to work for the World Wide Leader?

Rick Reilly on his high horse.  Careful up there.

Good, James Harrison. Please do retire. Make good on your threats and go drive a truck like your father did. And if you have as many head-ons in that job as you do in this one, heaven help you.
"A hit like that geeks you up," Harrison said.
It didn't geek Patti Drake up. She was a kind of surrogate mom for Cribbs at Kent State, where he was, believe it or not, a teammate of Harrison's.

"It sickened me," she says.

Geebus, spare us the fake sentiment ya slimy, yellow hack.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
BleedGreen710
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #54 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 10:57 »

I read Reilly's article and actually responded to it in an email back to him.  Pulling out all the stops with personal insults and everything...  Real classy Rick...

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
BleedGreen710
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #55 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 11:39 »

Good article...

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Best-of-the-Burgh-Blogs/Pulling-No-Punches/October-2010/Play-or-Get-Played-Why-the-James-Harrison-Hit-Really-Doesn-039t-Matter/

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #56 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 11:44 »

Careful on those stairs, Rick.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #57 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 11:53 »

That is a good one!  iagree

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #58 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 12:55 »

What a jerkoff Rick Reilly is.  I bet he cries himself to sleep everynight because Albom thought up "Tuesdays with Morrie" before he did.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
P4P
Hillbilly Deluxe
Old School Member

« Reply #59 on: Oct 22, 2010 at 01:44 »

"Good, James Harrison. Please do retire. Make good on your threats and go drive a truck like your father did. And if you have as many head-ons in that job as you do in this one, heaven help you."

Wow.  This fucker better hope James doesnt find him in some remote area.  Thats fucking wrong!

Honesty is something you can't wear out.
Waylon Jennings
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: