Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 30, 2014 at 02:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harrison fined 75k  (Read 1323 times)
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2010 at 08:25 »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5706132

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2010 at 08:37 »

Clearly a head shot here.

Madden 07 BIG HIT
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2010 at 11:36 »

Is he really considering retirement

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Oct 20, 2010 at 11:41 »

Is he really considering retirement

What??

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #14 on: Oct 20, 2010 at 11:51 »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5706748

Skipper practice too.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #15 on: Oct 20, 2010 at 11:55 »

Steelers' Harrison takes day off, considers retiring
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin met with linebacker James Harrison today and decided to excuse him for the rest of the work day, a team spokesman said this morning.

Harrison said in some radio interviews that he would rather retire than be hamstrung by the kinds of rules that the NFL charged he violated with a hit Sunday on Cleveland Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi. The NFL fined Harrison $75,000 on Tuesday for that hit.

"How can I continue to play this game the way that I've been taught to play this game since I was 10 years old?" Harrison said on Sirius XM Radio this morning. "And now you're telling me that everything that they've taught me from that time on, for the last 20-plus years, is not the way you're supposed to play the game anymore. If that's the case I can't play by those rules. You're handicapping me."

Bill Parise, Harrison's agent, confirmed that the linebacker is contemplating retirement, which is why he met with Tomlin this morning.

"That's exactly true,'' Parise said. "He met with the coach and left for today. He's in the process of contemplating is it possible to play football under these new rules . . . 'if I go to work and tackle somebody and get a fine.'"

Parise said there is "no fighting, no arguing," just discussions. He said Harrison has been talking with his coaches, the Steelers, his mother and the agent.

Harrison signed a six-year, $51.2 million contract in April 2009 that included a reported $20 million in bonuses. If Harrison would retire before the contract expires, the Steelers could demand he pay back some of those bonuses.

A source had told the Post-Gazette that Harrison called the Steelers Tuesay and told them he would not be coming to work today. However, he did report to their facility on the city's South Side to meet with Tomlin.

The Steelers said Tomlin would be available after practice today to discuss the situation.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10293/10966...m#ixzz12v18ivqr

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #16 on: Oct 20, 2010 at 13:07 »

Man, Harrison just wants to hurt some dudes.  Is that so wrong?  I bet cooler heads prevail.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #17 on: Oct 20, 2010 at 13:19 »

Man, Harrison just wants to hurt some dudes.  Is that so wrong?  I bet cooler heads prevail.

Yeah, I don't think he is going to retire. They probably sent him home too cool off so he doesn't cripple someone at practice. Also, I don't see him wanting to pay that bonus money back.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Oct 20, 2010 at 13:34 »

Wow.  This is just amazing.  A DPOY is considering retirement?  We've gone from being safe and protective to just being candy-ass. 

Again, I agree that players should not lead with the crown of the helmet and should never "aim" to hit someone in the head, as this is poor technique.  However, how in the hell is a player supposed to keep from EVER hitting another player in the head?

I also didn't understand this quote from the PG:

Harrison was fined not only for unnecessarily striking a defenseless receiver in the head and neck area, which violated two NFL rules for hitting high, but Anderson also cited the rule that a defender must give a player time to protect himself after making a catch before the defender launches into him and hits him high.

"Excuse me, honey, but are you ready for me to hit you?  Okay, I'm going to gently wrap my arms around you and pull you to the ground.  Oh wait...where did he go?  Who is that guy in the end zone pulling the sharpie out of his sock?"

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Oct 20, 2010 at 14:15 »

Harrison just needs to meet with officials from the NFL.

As in, the way he "met with" Cribbs and Massacroi.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: