Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 02, 2014 at 07:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: words I never thought I'd hear (or read)  (Read 542 times)
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Oct 27, 2010 at 11:54 »

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_706231.html?utm_source=bleacherreport.com

last paragraph.....

Legursky, who has started the past four games, and Ramon Foster shared time at right guard against the Dolphins. Tomlin said the Steelers went with that approach to take advantage of their depth along the offensive line. "Fresh bodies are good bodies as far as we're concerned," Tomlin said. "It's something we're excited about, to be honest with you. We believe we have capable men, and we're going to use them."

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
TucsonSteeler

« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2010 at 14:52 »

Along the same ilk did you ever think you would read this: 

Steelers rookie Emmanuel Sanders, whose 48-yard kickoff return set up Jeff Reed's game-winning field goal in Miami, has been named the AFC Special Teams Player of the Week.

Sanders' average of 28.8 yards on five kickoff returns led the AFC last week.

He is the first Steelers kickoff returner to win Player of the Week honors since Antwaan Randle El.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_706340.html

Anyone know what year El won that award?

jasonic

« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2010 at 16:18 »

Along the same ilk did you ever think you would read this: 

Steelers rookie Emmanuel Sanders, whose 48-yard kickoff return set up Jeff Reed's game-winning field goal in Miami, has been named the AFC Special Teams Player of the Week.

Sanders' average of 28.8 yards on five kickoff returns led the AFC last week.

He is the first Steelers kickoff returner to win Player of the Week honors since Antwaan Randle El.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_706340.html

Anyone know what year El won that award?

whatever year it was, I'm sure they included yards ran from side to side to the overall total.  As we say in unison....."the most exciting 5 yards in football."
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2010 at 17:23 by jasonic » Logged

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2010 at 08:53 »

Sanders also fumbled to set up the initial Miami FG, but could as easily have put us in an 0-7 hole.  On the whole, I think Sanders (and Brown) have shown some explosiveness in the return game that bodes well for coming years.  I'd like to see Arians translate that same explosiveness into some nifty underneath receiving, see what kinda YAC Sanders can rack.

I'm not going to get all twittered up over the OL.  They're playing better, but there's still room for improvement.  The supposed depth looks to my eye like a lot of the same sorts of guys, cut from the same mold: big and slow.  Fine, that's our identity, we're never gonna finesse as some ZBS team, but that's also going to be a liability against the edge rushers. 

Not that Football Outsiders' various metrics are the be-all, but they do seem to better weigh out factors than straight yardage stats.  Their 2010 stats, albeit skewed with Ben out for 4/6, show some improvement, some backsliding.

The running game, no doubt keyed by defenses when Ben was out, has taken a slight step back from the past three years in terms of Adjusted Line Yards.  We rank 22nd at 3.80 ALY (Jets are first with 4.98).  Last year, we were 14th with 4.32 ALY (Dolphins were first at 4.50).  In 2008, 24th at 3.95 yards (Denver led with 4.78).  In 2007, 20th at 4.05 ALY (Patriots first with 4.63).  I think the takeaway here is less the numerical rank but the actual ALY.  We were averaging 4.11 ALY, so I think we'll sort of revert towards that mean.  The Jets are killing it with their ALY, given a recent average of 4.64 ALY for top rushing teams.  Interesting that top rushing teams 3 of 4 years has been AFCE.  So, in short, I think the run blocking has been OK, but should improve so long as BA doesn't revert to predictable calls on down and distance.

The pass blocking stats show some pretty substantial improvement, and if you figure teams were just trying to wreck our backup du jour when Ben was out, it's all the more impressive.  We're ranked 26th in Adjusted Sack Rate, but the ASR is 7.7%.  Not great compared to #1 Indy at 3.2%.  But historically, we're much improved.  Again, check the ASR values and not necessarily the ranking.  In 2009, we were 29th with an 8.5% ASR (Colts first, 3.1%).  In 2008 we were 29th with a 9.2% ASR (Colts first with 2.8%).  In 2007, we were 31st with an ASR of 10.1% (Packers were tops with 3.2%).  That shows year by year improvement, but I have to think that given the injuries to Colon (and Essex, and Starks) and the Ben suspension factored in, that we are again showing some notable change.

We may not have a great OL, but they're approaching some serious competence.  I'll guess that by the end of the year, we have an ALY of ~4.1, which would be 17th in run-blocking, and an ASR of ~6.5%, or 17th in pass-blocking.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
DrRockit
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2010 at 17:51 »

Sad   

I thought this thread was going to be about the subtle genius of BA's playcalling.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2010 at 09:58 »

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_706231.html?utm_source=bleacherreport.com

last paragraph.....

Legursky, who has started the past four games, and Ramon Foster shared time at right guard against the Dolphins. Tomlin said the Steelers went with that approach to take advantage of their depth along the offensive line. "Fresh bodies are good bodies as far as we're concerned," Tomlin said. "It's something we're excited about, to be honest with you. We believe we have capable men, and we're going to use them."

Too bad the word I'd like to see is still missing.

"quality"

But, they're makin' it work, for now.  Let's hope they can keep it up.  The next three will be a good test for that.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jasonic

« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2010 at 10:01 »

[quote author=aj_law link=topic=18994.msg10624679#msg10624679 date=1288364287

Too bad the word I'd like to see is still missing.

"quality"

But, they're makin' it work, for now.  Let's hope they can keep it up.  The next three will be a good test for that.
[/quote]

yea, tomlin's good with his word choices and apparently a few mediocre guys (fresh bodies and depth) is better than one great one in the franchise philosophy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: