Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 28, 2014 at 10:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 ... 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cue the Steelers 2010 collapse in 5...4...3...  (Read 1966 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Nov 10, 2010 at 08:07 »

PPG reporting Starks has neck injury, may be done for year.  If not, looks like he's on the Aaron Smith plan at very best.

Thank God we drafted all those LBs instead of, oh I dunno, shoring up depth with the big uglies like I fucking screamed we should have.  Smith and Starks are out, Keisel is iffy, Kemo is gimped, the DL backups get an incomplete at best, and our LT depth sucks dog balls.

Remember, we were at 6-2 last season.  Injuries and age can put the season in the tank quick fast and in a hurry.  Guess Colbert was fine drafting a LB for the Bucs and rolling the dice that the uglies would somehow, miraculously, stay healthy.

Well, at least Jon Scott at LT will be familiar with the Pats, having been thoroughly abused by them as a Bill.  And if that doesn't work, we can rearrange the line by moving Hotel to the blind and putting some fat waddler in at RT.  And meanwhile Ben's sack total is going through the fucking roof.  Teams are just gonna overload the edges, and we all know it. 

Sunday could be ugly.  Pats should be 5 point faves, not us.

Barrett Brooks, anyone?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 08:23 »

Ben simply has to start getting rid of the ball with greater urgency.  And notice I don't say, "Needs to learn ..", because that's bullshit.  He's a veteran NFL QB, he can do it.  So why doesn't he?  Time for the coaches to assert their will on the situation IMO.  His play is hurting the team more than it helps it, he's too inconsistent and reckless.  Sure, it makes for some great highlight reel stuff - for both teams.

Reign that bitch in and learn him up good:  save the heroics for when they're needed, not in any situation late in the 1st quarter and sure as fuck not on 2nd and 7 in the 4th when trying to run down the clock!  The gunslinger shit should not be his default style.

So yeah, cue the collapse if Big Dipshit can't get his head outta his arse.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 08:26 »

I think he just doesn't process that way.  He's not a 3-step guy like Brady (when he's not playing the Browns) or Manning.  He needs to scan the field and can't perspectivize it quickly enough from the short drop. 

It would be one thing to have one of those quick-trigger guys with our crew of undifferentiated slow-and-fats, or if we hade some sprightly OL to keep the dance going while Ben does his thing, but this is the worst possible combination.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 08:39 »

It would be one thing to have one of those quick-trigger guys with our crew of undifferentiated slow-and-fats, or if we hade some sprightly OL to keep the dance going while Ben does his thing, but this is the worst possible combination.

Indeed it is.  Slow-thinking QB + slow-moving OL = fast-sinking-frustrating-to-watch offense.  He needs to know where Sanders/ARE is on every passing play. And make it Sanders for my money, he's accustomed to short, quick passes - use the guy!

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 08:43 »

Wow, an Oline of Adams-Essex-Pouncey-Legursky-Scott. That is some ugly shit right there outside of Pouncey who is at least above average and possibly Legursky who is about average. Ben is going to be eating out of a tube by the end of the year.

I thought I read somewhere that if they hadn't IR'd him Colon would be able to return? would have been nice if the FO didn't fuck that up too.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 09:07 »

And it's official.

Starks to IR, formerly PUPped rookie Chris Scott (a.k.a., Ramon Foster, a.k.a. Willie Colon) onto the roster.  Can't be anywhere near game shape, so assume Jon Foster gets the nod until Ben is dead, and then maybe Hotel moves over?

Merman, I don't think Kemo's injury is serious, just a bruise.  Looks like he's 50/50 for the Pats, but should be there long term.

I'd suggest our imminent OL is J. Scott-??? [Kemo]-Pouncey-Essex-Adams.  They won't want to disrupt the entire right side to fix the left, so Scott gets the LT call and, dunno, Legs or maybe Foster gets Kemo's spot.  I'd rather have Foster, but that's me; I think it probably will be Legs.
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2010 at 09:32 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 09:25 »

Now is the time to see what these boys have. Adversity, character, etc.  Break out the motivational posters; hang in there, baby!

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 09:33 »

Now is the time to see what these boys have. Adversity, character, etc.  Break out the motivational posters; hang in there, baby!

I think the OL played better than expected for a while.  Don't see it continuing to do so.  We have no LT on the roster, not even close.  Hell, I still think Max would be better served moving back to RT.

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 09:39 »

I see Scott failing horribly at LT and then the coaches trying Flozell there. This is a disaster really. Starks isn't great, but he's servicable, and I guy I thought they couldn't afford to lose after the obvious Ben-Troy-Smith-Mendenhall list.

Like Jonzr says:

LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 09:50 »

Thank God we drafted all those LBs instead of, oh I dunno, shoring up depth with the big uglies like I fucking screamed we should have.  Smith and Starks are out, Keisel is iffy, Kemo is gimped, the DL backups get an incomplete at best, and our LT depth sucks dog balls.

No shit. I hope that Pouncey has proved to both Tomlin and Colbert the value of beefing up the OL. Can you imagine if we had drafted maybe just one more solid starter on the OL in the past 2 or 3 years at either guard OR tackle?!?

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 10:01 »

Oh, and IMO?

Shitty year for drafting a tackle.  Just awful.  Especially LT.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 10:47 »

Oh, and IMO?

Shitty year for drafting a tackle.  Just awful.  Especially LT.

That's great, since we may well earn an early 1st round pick if this keeps up.

The truly discouraging news is that the success of the offense depends on Bruce Arians adjusting to the sad state of our offensive line.  Play-action, roll outs, quick throws (NOT wr screens), use the TE, use the RBs.  If he'll do that, then we have a chance.

:rolleyes:

My sermon this week:

What Happens First:  Bruce Arians Makes Adjustments, or the Second Coming of Christ?

This will surely be my best work ever on signs of the apocalypse.  Cause if BA makes changes, I can tell you what's coming next!

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 11:28 »

Oh, BTW, our depth chart has Tony Hills listed as backup LT.  If I had forgotten about Hills, it is because he is completely forgettable.  Is it Tony's time, or will he be proven to be filler?  Like, why do we have a backup LT if he can't play the position?

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 11:38 »

My sources tell me the Steelers will most likely sign one of these guys.

O-line beef
VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #14 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 12:09 »

I see Scott failing horribly at LT

Scott? Mr. Penalty? Yeah, I can see that, too.

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 15:07 »

The truly discouraging news is that the success of the offense depends on Bruce Arians adjusting to the sad state of our offensive line.  Play-action, roll outs, quick throws (NOT wr screens), use the TE, use the RBs.  If he'll do that, then we have a chance.

This will surely be my best work ever on signs of the apocalypse.  Cause if BA makes changes, I can tell you what's coming next!

Preach, you are clearly not thinking as deeply as BA is. No doubt he realizes that Belichick will ALSO think that is what he is going to do.

Therefore, he will surprise us all with a heavy dose of deep QB drops and long developing pass plays. Since the Patriots know we can't pass block, we are going to shock them, baby!

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 15:56 »

Preach, you are clearly not thinking as deeply as BA is. No doubt he realizes that Belichick will ALSO think that is what he is going to do.

Therefore, he will surprise us all with a heavy dose of deep QB drops and long developing pass plays. Since the Patriots know we can't pass block, we are going to shock them, baby!

BELICHICK [*Sweating heavily*]: He can't possibly run a third consecutive bubble screen to Ward... can he... CAN HE?!

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 17:13 »

No shit. I hope that Pouncey has proved to both Tomlin and Colbert the value of beefing up the OL. Can you imagine if we had drafted maybe just one more solid starter on the OL in the past 2 or 3 years at either guard OR tackle?!?

Motherfuckin' crazy talk, man.  Crazy.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 17:15 »

The truly discouraging news is that the success of the offense depends on Bruce Arians adjusting to the sad state of our offensive line.  Play-action, roll outs, quick throws (NOT wr screens), use the TE, use the RBs.  If he'll do that, then we have a chance.

Oh, he'll be usin' 'em all right.  All tree of 'em.
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2010 at 08:38 by aj_law » Logged

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 17:24 »

Almost forgot...

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 20:16 »

wow this is mighty suckage.

"Experts" won't notice O line woes until we're 6-5 or worse.
Joetorious

« Reply #21 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 20:40 »

Ben simply has to start getting rid of the ball with greater urgency.  And notice I don't say, "Needs to learn ..", because that's bullshit.  He's a veteran NFL QB, he can do it.  So why doesn't he?  Time for the coaches to assert their will on the situation IMO.  His play is hurting the team more than it helps it, he's too inconsistent and reckless.  Sure, it makes for some great highlight reel stuff - for both teams.

Reign that bitch in and learn him up good:  save the heroics for when they're needed, not in any situation late in the 1st quarter and sure as fuck not on 2nd and 7 in the 4th when trying to run down the clock!  The gunslinger shit should not be his default style.

So yeah, cue the collapse if Big Dipshit can't get his head outta his arse.

Yes! Good calls across the board!

For years, I've thoroughly believed that the Steelers should blast Tina Turner's "We Don't Need Another Hero" from the locker room before the game and during halftime, and throughout the stadium anytime the Steelers' offense takes the field.

Glad to hear it, Jonzr.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Joetorious

« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 20:52 »

BELICHICK [*Sweating heavily*]: He can't possibly run a third consecutive bubble screen to Ward... can he... CAN HE?!

I tell you what, man - this is comedy gold in its purest form!

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
sysadmin7

« Reply #23 on: Nov 11, 2010 at 01:01 »

PPG reporting Starks has neck injury, may be done for year.  If not, looks like he's on the Aaron Smith plan at very best.

Remember, we were at 6-2 last season.  Injuries and age can put the season in the tank quick fast and in a hurry.  Guess Colbert was fine drafting a LB for the Bucs and rolling the dice that the uglies would somehow, miraculously, stay healthy.

Well, at least Jon Scott at LT will be familiar with the Pats, having been thoroughly abused by them as a Bill.  And if that doesn't work, we can rearrange the line by moving Hotel to the blind and putting some fat waddler in at RT.  And meanwhile Ben's sack total is going through the fucking roof.  Teams are just gonna overload the edges, and we all know it. 

Sunday could be ugly.  Pats should be 5 point faves, not us.

Barrett Brooks, anyone?

I feel ya Finny. Anytime I post on ESPN, Bleacher Report, etc I get ripped about us taking so many LB's in the draft and picking up O-lineman, a NT replacement or D-line help. Ah, who would want that anyways? Especially after we just cut our 4th round LB to pick up a scrub DE that we'll never use. Some clown on the BleacherReport posted that T. Essex should be the LT....yeah...right. Our right side with T. Essex and F. Adams has to be the worst in the NFL. Move Essex to LT, give me a break. I just don't see the obsession with O-lineman who can play multiple positions. Give me a guy who can play OT well, instead of every position below average. IMO, Hills is the true option at LT. He's a pass blocker and has showed some skill in the pre-season. But he doesn't dress because...J. Scott can play both OT positions. If we have to stick with J. Scott at LT the entire year this season is over. J. Scott is decent depth, but to rely on him at LT? Not good....at all.

Next years O-lineman class really sucks compared to the past couple of seasons. Derek Sherrod is my #1 LT right now and he could fall to us in the late first round. I figure J. Barksdale will move up into the #1 LT position by the draft, but I still prefer Sherrod right now. The rest OT prospects are really a coin flip. I like N. Solder as a 4th round groom guy, but it's going to take a year or two to see him on the field. Will we target a OT, doubtful. OG is about as bad. You have Pouncey's brother, Marcus Cannon (who I'm really high on from TCU) and some more coin flips. I'd love to see us go Sherrod then Cannon for the 1st and 2nd next year...but we'll probably go CB, DE, TE or LB. I'd also like a real FB in the draft, but what in the hell am I thinking...

LINUX = FREEDOM
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Nov 11, 2010 at 07:54 »

Dunno, I think Sherrod goes before us R1.  Barksdale is an enigma, I've seen anywhere from a R1-3 grade on him, but he has to be in the mix: downside is that LSU linemen haven't been much of a go in the pros lately.  That Colorado kid will go higher than R4 just on potential.  Also the kid from BC, Castonzo or something, will go early R1. 

I think the underclassmen from USC are my OT targets.  Matt Kalil is playing LT, and tho only a soph I believe he can declare with 2 years under his belt.  6'6" 295# 5.05 40, and the OL is doing a good job of getting a ground game going in an off year for USC.  Across from him is junior Tyron Smith who looks like he could also play LT in the pros.  6'6" 285# 5.08 40, he's also a rangy guy with good footspeed who just needs a year of bulking up.  IMO, these two guys both have the speed and ability to anchor the blind side.

Only other guy I'm following is Whisky's Gabe Carimi, 6'7" 322# 5.12, but he's starting to look more like RT only.  Have to see more. His value is also all over the board.

TucsonSteeler

« Reply #25 on: Nov 11, 2010 at 09:24 »

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Nov 11, 2010 at 10:08 »

A shabby Charlie Brown.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Nov 11, 2010 at 10:12 »

Ben wouldn't know what to do with protection.

I'd call 17GL all day long.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Nov 11, 2010 at 14:22 »

Ben wouldn't know what to do with protection.

Waddaya mean?  Ben does his best work when his protection steps up.

:shotsIhasthemdrink!:

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Nov 11, 2010 at 16:54 »

Starks was out for much of the Cinci game, right?  No epic collapse there.  Was Jon Scott in on the last series where Mendy was getting gain after gain?  Cinci hasn't had a good pass rush all season but neither has NE. 

I don't think Jon Scott (or Chris Scott for that matter) is better than Starks.  The Steelers will likely have to keep Heath in more often (assuming Heath plays this weekend) as well as a side car like Moore.  It'll change some of the pass plays.  But this is one of the times I'm thankful for the mobility of Ben.

I was most concerned about Pouncey's health.   I guess Hartwig and Mahan are still available.....

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Nov 12, 2010 at 06:00 »

The obvious answer here is Barrett Brooks

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Nov 12, 2010 at 06:18 »

Or Todd Fordham

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Nov 12, 2010 at 09:58 »

Maybe Scott will surprise and be able to play reasonably well over half a season.  I'll put it this way: I think he'll do better than Tony Hills, though that's faint praise.

Too early for draft talk?  Well, never too early to look ahead, fix what needs fixed.  Assuming we'll draft in the 20s, and hoping we get the 32 slot.  But if you guys are totally happy with our OL and CBs and such, then just ignore the draft talk.

A little pressure off: Ravens lose, so not as big if we do drop the Patsies game.

Pressure back on: check out those Browns trying to bubble up.

What's the o/u on Beardy pass attempts this week?  I'll say 50.

sysadmin7

« Reply #33 on: Nov 12, 2010 at 22:16 »

Maybe Scott will surprise and be able to play reasonably well over half a season.  I'll put it this way: I think he'll do better than Tony Hills, though that's faint praise.

Too early for draft talk?  Well, never too early to look ahead, fix what needs fixed.  Assuming we'll draft in the 20s, and hoping we get the 32 slot.  But if you guys are totally happy with our OL and CBs and such, then just ignore the draft talk.

A little pressure off: Ravens lose, so not as big if we do drop the Patsies game.

Pressure back on: check out those Browns trying to bubble up.

What's the o/u on Beardy pass attempts this week?  I'll say 50.

I hope J. Scott does surprise but I highly doubt it. If J. Scott goes down with an injury, we just lost our backup LT and RT. I think Scott as a fill in, coming in and out would be ok but to ask him to step up and be the full time go to guy @ LT the rest of the year? I don't see it. Of course, I'm wrong from time to time...I'm surprised Finny that your down on T. Hills. I really like him as a LT, as I see him as a pure pass blocking LT (main reason he hasn't suited up the entire year, a 1 position OT). Something we haven't had in Pittsburgh for a long time. He had a bum ankle during the Pre-Season and I thought he looked solid (of course, pre-season is what it is...). I'd rather have a pure pass blocker @ LT protecting Ben's blind side than a guy who couldn't keep his job in Buffalo. I have a feeling J. Scott is going to show why he's a career backup and T. Hills is going to get his chance to shine.

Brady: 40 attempts this week. Brady's last 3 games have been anything but spectacular. I believe he has an average (of those 3 games) of a 55% completion percentage, but he doesn't turn the football over. On the road their Offense hasn't been on point, but they've squeaked out wins. After getting smashed by Cleveland you have to wonder if The Steelers are going to be in for a dog fight. I'll go on record and say we win by 13 and skippy doesn't miss a FG.

LINUX = FREEDOM
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 06:55 »

I'll go on record and say we win by 13 and skippy doesn't miss a FG.

Fail on both accounts. Bet you didn't think it would be a 20 something yard FG though.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Manimal

« Reply #35 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 08:52 »

I say we sign Marvel Smith, and immediately put him on IR, for old time's sake.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 09:20 »

Ah well.  All the AFCN lost yesterday, so we maintain relative supremacy over the Browns and Bengals, FWTFTW.

The collapse came quickly, sacks mounting early, and in all phases of the game these Steelers seem to be regressing rather than progressing. 

Everything.  The way both lines are playing, I think the cast of Glee could enforce their will on our uglies.

The secondary seems to be doing its best interpretive dance version of bovine spongiform encephalopathy: gaping holes getting bigger until the whole no longer functions, and the creature starts going in circles and falling down randomly.

The WRs still cannot run their routes.  They do not know what to do on the hot read, or apparently how to recognize blitz.  To his undying credit, BA sent Randle El on a deep route that no amount of Ensure could possibly give ARE the wheels to win that race -- too bad we don't have a true speedster on the team, whom we can utilize to get points outside of junk time.

Our ability to adjust and our grasp of situational football, among both coordinators and the HC, is stunningly poor.  Just stunning.  I cannot believe for the life of me that Rob Ryan + CBD >>> Dick LeBeau + PSD, but apparently that is true, at least against the quality teams.  And our PSO resembled nothing so much as the Bengals offense yesterday, which would make sense.  The Bengals, having played at 1:00, and having had to overcome the Steelers and take their gear, would have been exhausted against that leaky NEPD as in fact it turned out they were.

Enter the "easy" part of the schedule, which is what we did last year during the 5-game free-fall.  I cannot for the life of me seeing us being that bad, or seeing us becoming SB contenders.  We look like a fringe WC team now.  Next week maybe we'll regress lower, to an 8-8 kinda team.

kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 10:10 »

Next week maybe we'll regress lower, to an 8-8 kinda team.

One can always have goals.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Pages: 1 2 ... 4 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: