Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 31, 2014 at 09:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cue the Steelers 2010 collapse in 5...4...3...  (Read 2262 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Nov 10, 2010 at 08:07 »

PPG reporting Starks has neck injury, may be done for year.  If not, looks like he's on the Aaron Smith plan at very best.

Thank God we drafted all those LBs instead of, oh I dunno, shoring up depth with the big uglies like I fucking screamed we should have.  Smith and Starks are out, Keisel is iffy, Kemo is gimped, the DL backups get an incomplete at best, and our LT depth sucks dog balls.

Remember, we were at 6-2 last season.  Injuries and age can put the season in the tank quick fast and in a hurry.  Guess Colbert was fine drafting a LB for the Bucs and rolling the dice that the uglies would somehow, miraculously, stay healthy.

Well, at least Jon Scott at LT will be familiar with the Pats, having been thoroughly abused by them as a Bill.  And if that doesn't work, we can rearrange the line by moving Hotel to the blind and putting some fat waddler in at RT.  And meanwhile Ben's sack total is going through the fucking roof.  Teams are just gonna overload the edges, and we all know it. 

Sunday could be ugly.  Pats should be 5 point faves, not us.

Barrett Brooks, anyone?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 08:23 »

Ben simply has to start getting rid of the ball with greater urgency.  And notice I don't say, "Needs to learn ..", because that's bullshit.  He's a veteran NFL QB, he can do it.  So why doesn't he?  Time for the coaches to assert their will on the situation IMO.  His play is hurting the team more than it helps it, he's too inconsistent and reckless.  Sure, it makes for some great highlight reel stuff - for both teams.

Reign that bitch in and learn him up good:  save the heroics for when they're needed, not in any situation late in the 1st quarter and sure as fuck not on 2nd and 7 in the 4th when trying to run down the clock!  The gunslinger shit should not be his default style.

So yeah, cue the collapse if Big Dipshit can't get his head outta his arse.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 08:26 »

I think he just doesn't process that way.  He's not a 3-step guy like Brady (when he's not playing the Browns) or Manning.  He needs to scan the field and can't perspectivize it quickly enough from the short drop. 

It would be one thing to have one of those quick-trigger guys with our crew of undifferentiated slow-and-fats, or if we hade some sprightly OL to keep the dance going while Ben does his thing, but this is the worst possible combination.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 08:39 »

It would be one thing to have one of those quick-trigger guys with our crew of undifferentiated slow-and-fats, or if we hade some sprightly OL to keep the dance going while Ben does his thing, but this is the worst possible combination.

Indeed it is.  Slow-thinking QB + slow-moving OL = fast-sinking-frustrating-to-watch offense.  He needs to know where Sanders/ARE is on every passing play. And make it Sanders for my money, he's accustomed to short, quick passes - use the guy!

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 08:43 »

Wow, an Oline of Adams-Essex-Pouncey-Legursky-Scott. That is some ugly shit right there outside of Pouncey who is at least above average and possibly Legursky who is about average. Ben is going to be eating out of a tube by the end of the year.

I thought I read somewhere that if they hadn't IR'd him Colon would be able to return? would have been nice if the FO didn't fuck that up too.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 09:07 »

And it's official.

Starks to IR, formerly PUPped rookie Chris Scott (a.k.a., Ramon Foster, a.k.a. Willie Colon) onto the roster.  Can't be anywhere near game shape, so assume Jon Foster gets the nod until Ben is dead, and then maybe Hotel moves over?

Merman, I don't think Kemo's injury is serious, just a bruise.  Looks like he's 50/50 for the Pats, but should be there long term.

I'd suggest our imminent OL is J. Scott-??? [Kemo]-Pouncey-Essex-Adams.  They won't want to disrupt the entire right side to fix the left, so Scott gets the LT call and, dunno, Legs or maybe Foster gets Kemo's spot.  I'd rather have Foster, but that's me; I think it probably will be Legs.
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2010 at 09:32 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 09:25 »

Now is the time to see what these boys have. Adversity, character, etc.  Break out the motivational posters; hang in there, baby!

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 09:33 »

Now is the time to see what these boys have. Adversity, character, etc.  Break out the motivational posters; hang in there, baby!

I think the OL played better than expected for a while.  Don't see it continuing to do so.  We have no LT on the roster, not even close.  Hell, I still think Max would be better served moving back to RT.

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 09:39 »

I see Scott failing horribly at LT and then the coaches trying Flozell there. This is a disaster really. Starks isn't great, but he's servicable, and I guy I thought they couldn't afford to lose after the obvious Ben-Troy-Smith-Mendenhall list.

Like Jonzr says:

LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 09:50 »

Thank God we drafted all those LBs instead of, oh I dunno, shoring up depth with the big uglies like I fucking screamed we should have.  Smith and Starks are out, Keisel is iffy, Kemo is gimped, the DL backups get an incomplete at best, and our LT depth sucks dog balls.

No shit. I hope that Pouncey has proved to both Tomlin and Colbert the value of beefing up the OL. Can you imagine if we had drafted maybe just one more solid starter on the OL in the past 2 or 3 years at either guard OR tackle?!?

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: