Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 01, 2014 at 07:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pats Game  (Read 489 times)
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Nov 15, 2010 at 10:07 »

First, William Gay sucked. We should win a matchup of CB vs TE unless that TE is named Gates or Gonzales. It should be a matchup problem when the TE gets on a LB. IMO, it would have been better to have Timmons covering Gostkowski (or whatever the hell his name is).

Second, did the defense forget how to pressure a QB? Brady was comfortable all game long in the pocket. The one time we did rush him (successfully) the pansy boy immediately threw it 15 rows into the stands and got called for a grounding penalty.

Third, it must have slipped someone's mind that we should probably cover Welker. What was Ike doing all game? I guess with all of the other big time WRs on the Pats (like Moss), there were just too many guys to cover and Welker was the guy that broke loose...oh wait...

Fourth, Reed didn't really miss a 20+ yard FG did he? I mean, he does still want a job in the NFL right? If he has lost the ability to kick in Heinz field, then he has lost all usefulness IMO. Cut his ass and sign the best guy still looking for a job from college last season (and definitely look to college this year to find a replacement).

Fifth, did anyone else realize that this game was over at the very beginning when Collinsworth and Michaels were talking about the 2 new OL-men protecting Ben's blind side and that Arians said that they would do nothing differently to help.

Sixth, if the reasoning for not flagging the hit on Hines Ward was that he was no longer a receiver and was now a runner (so contact with the helmet is OK), then how in the hell can the pass be incomplete? Conversely, if the pass was not completed, then how is the hit not a hit to the head of a receiver trying to make a catch? Consistency of these rules is just insane. And if they're so worried about the players safety for these hits, and if the whole play is reviewable during a coaches challenge, then why can't they call a personal foul penalty retroactively while reviewing the play.

Seventh, I guess that Moore is all of a sudden a better RB than Redman or Mendy. Either that, or BA thought he would catch them off-guard by playing someone they wouldn't expect. I hear in order to fool Oakland next week, we're going to play Will Allen for Polamalu, Foote for Timmons, and ARE for Wallace. They'll never expect that.

Eighth, I thought the Pats Defense was horrible. They're 19th in Rush yards/game (23rd if you ignore the 76 they allowed the Steelers) and 30th in pass yards/game. We averaged 4.75 yards per rush last night and we have a banged up offensive line. It would have been a perfect day for a balanced run/pass game plan where we passed every once in a while on rushing downs (and maybe even a PAP), but kept everything pretty even and got Mendy rolling. Instead, down 10-3, we completely abandon the run, pull Mendy from the game, and go with a pass only attack using Moore as the feature back. We expose our unexperienced (read: terrible) O-line, and allow Ben to get himself killed. On the few occasions where there was time to make the throws, the plays are so slowly developing (or the Pats defensive backfield is the best ever - which is not what the stats would suggest), that Ben still holds the ball too long and ends up having to throw the ball away (rarely) or taking a sack (often). The Pats had a third of their sacks and sack yards lost on the season during the 60 minutes last night. Unacceptable, but with a decimated OLine, the blame falls on the game plan and not the players.

Ninth, of course, Wallace had to get all of the garbage time TDs to make me lose my fantasy game. I didn't think I would win up 9 against Wallace and Mendenhall, but it was looking pretty good until the last 7 minutes of the game.

Tenth, I can't believe that I stayed up and watched that game rather than going to bed so that I'm not so tired today. I knew before it even started that they were going to lose and I told my wife the reasons. Of course, every time the game looked out of reach, they would make a play in garbage time to make it reasonable again and keep me watching the suck fest just in case they got exceptionally lucky and intercepted a pass and took it in for a TD to make it a one score game where anything could happen.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 10:35 »

1.  I'm torn on who sucks worse, Gay or McFadden.  I think Gay needs to sit a week and let either Keenan Lewis or Crez Butler have a shot at NCB.  The thing about Gay is that he cannot turn and run with a receiver, even if the receiver is a TE, which sort of makes him a POS as a CB.  What Gay can do is make heads up plays if all the action is in front of him, which sort of makes him a S.

2.  Well, A. Smith >>> Z. Hood, and B. Keisel >>> N. Eason.  Oh, and we have no one else, HA HA HA HA HA HA!  Also, our pass rush schemes didn't work and didn't seem to change until very late in the game.  It just seemed like LeBeau was playing with his vanilla preseason gameplan.  It would be interesting to compare pressure schemes with the November 2008 game where we, you know, actually showed the fuck up.  But then I'd have to re-watch this game, and that means I would need to douse my brain with Listerine.

3.  Well, Ike's a bad matchup on Welker, and frankly our idea of playing zone was asinine.

4.  Reed is dead to me.

5.  Well, WTF did you expect from BA?  Seriously.

6. Buncha folks mentioned this, and it makes me sick to my stomach.  The officiating in this league isn't just inconsistent, it's insane. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 10:40 »

7.  Yeah.  Emetic.

8.  Again, WTF did you expect from BA?  Hillis trashed this NEPD, so why would we wanna, you know, try something that's been shown to fucking WORK???

9.  I thought it was brilliant to send geriatric ARE on the deep throw early instead of the guy with the wheels to make the catch.  BA continues to ignore Wallace and thus relegates him to almost a trick play guy.  I know there were some short misses to Wallace, but keep trying.  In fact, put ARE at the back of the WR rotation, bump up Sanders and Brown, and try to develop youth and speed, starting with Wallace as a go-to guy.  Quit pussy fucking footing around.  Either you believe in your guys (Wallace, Mendy), or you don't, you ascrotal fucking wonder.

10.  Mrs. F. took the wise route and sacked out.  I hate Steelers loss Mondays, absolutely starts the week in a foul mood, but it's 10x worse with the late games.

kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 10:51 »

2.  Well, A. Smith >>> Z. Hood, and B. Keisel >>> N. Eason.  Oh, and we have no one else, HA HA HA HA HA HA!  Also, our pass rush schemes didn't work and didn't seem to change until very late in the game.  It just seemed like LeBeau was playing with his vanilla preseason gameplan.  It would be interesting to compare pressure schemes with the November 2008 game where we, you know, actually showed the fuck up.  But then I'd have to re-watch this game, and that means I would need to douse my brain with Listerine.

I completely agree and that could be the reason that our run defense was not up to snuff, but it is not their job to pressure the QB in Dick LeBeau's scheme. If there's not blitzing coming from all over the field (and succeeding), then this defense just does not work. Dropping 8 into coverage against Brady and giving him all the time in the world on a consistent basis will never work even if our CBs are not completely sucktastic.

3.  Well, Ike's a bad matchup on Welker, and frankly our idea of playing zone was asinine.

I'd rather take my chances on a bad matchup with Ike after witnessing the horrible play of the other CBs against him.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 11:36 »

Cool  Why they didn't pound the ball is beyond me.   I mean, the obvious Arians nincompoopery aside.  They're pissing away some offensive skill so long as Arians remains on the staff.  He simply must go.  Does he wait to see how the defense lines up and then send in the worse possible play in some I-know-you-know-but-you-don't-know-I-know-you-know outsmarting himself mind fuck?  Inexplicable.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 11:42 »

I completely agree and that could be the reason that our run defense was not up to snuff, but it is not their job to pressure the QB in Dick LeBeau's scheme. If there's not blitzing coming from all over the field (and succeeding), then this defense just does not work. Dropping 8 into coverage against Brady and giving him all the time in the world on a consistent basis will never work even if our CBs are not completely sucktastic.

Well, at least Smith and Keisel gave us some push.  Getting an OL pushed into your passing lane affects your ability to make those quick passes.  But yeah, it seemed like there was nothing but man-on-man up-the-field pass rush from the DL and OLB.  No stunts, no trickeration, no S blitz, no corner blitz.  And yes, when yoyu bring a DB it leaves open the short pass, but what's the alternative?  You leave open the short pass anyway.

Belichick and Brady always seemed to be a step ahead, they'd set the table and wait for us to arrive.  There was nothing confusing in our cover schemes, and certainly no aggression or desire to jump routes. 

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 13:10 »

Ok, Kluisi, ya bastage, you took my schtick!  Oh well, you got your 10 points on the board before mine, so game/set/match...for THIS week!

1.  What Gay can do is make heads up plays if all the action is in front of him, which sort of makes him a S.

Patriots knew where our wounds were, pulled them open, and poured rubbing alcohol and clorox into them.  Gaye 1 on 1 is an open wound of the worst kind.  Safety?  Idk.  Corner?  No chance in hell.

Fourth, Reed didn't really miss a 20+ yard FG did he? I mean, he does still want a job in the NFL right? If he has lost the ability to kick in Heinz field, then he has lost all usefulness IMO. Cut his ass and sign the best guy still looking for a job from college last season (and definitely look to college this year to find a replacement).

Agreed...but missing a 20-yarder has nothing to do with Heinz Field.  Dude is either hurt--physically or mentally--or just can't get it done.  Time to move on.  The kick he made looked horrible, the one miss looked like me trying to play golf:  Ugly backswing, no follow-thru, horrible slice.

Fifth, did anyone else realize that this game was over at the very beginning when Collinsworth and Michaels were talking about the 2 new OL-men protecting Ben's blind side and that Arians said that they would do nothing differently to help.

BRILLIANT!

Seventh, I guess that Moore is all of a sudden a better RB than Redman or Mendy.
Eighth...It would have been a perfect day for a balanced run/pass game plan where we passed every once in a while on rushing downs (and maybe even a PAP), but kept everything pretty even and got Mendy rolling.

It wasn't just the lack of the running game.  It was the selection of running plays, the lack of PAP, the run-run-pass format, the empty sets where the run was not even a threat in the red zone, etc.  I saw two PAPs in the first 45 minutes of the game.  Meanwhile, NE (who doesn't even run it that well) keeps eating our lunch and neutralizing the pass rush with the PAP.  And we're just too stoopit to look across the field and think, "Gee, that's a good idea.  Wonder if it might work for us?"

We still have not caught on to the idea of running effectively vs. just trying to ram it down the opponents throat.

Tenth, I can't believe that I stayed up and watched that game rather than going to bed so that I'm not so tired today.

Honestly, I kept watching because I just wanted to see what Ben could do when he had the reigns and was actually getting to run the offense.  Shockingly to the coaching staff, he played fairly well.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 14:52 »

Ok, Kluisi, ya bastage, you took my schtick!  Oh well, you got your 10 points on the board before mine, so game/set/match...for THIS week!

Yeah...sorry about that. I didn't actually mean to come up with ten. I figured I could come up with about 6, but as I got more and more fired up while writing, I made it all the way out to 10. But I spelled out the numbers, so it's different from yours. Smiley

Agreed...but missing a 20-yarder has nothing to do with Heinz Field.  Dude is either hurt--physically or mentally--or just can't get it done.  Time to move on.  The kick he made looked horrible, the one miss looked like me trying to play golf:  Ugly backswing, no follow-thru, horrible slice.

I wasn't really referencing that particular field goal, but more of a general statement. The only reason that he was still on the team was that he could kick where others couldn't be trusted. He's lost the ability and therefore needs to lose his job. Other kickers are out there and they can kick at least as well as Reed (in or out of Heinz field). The possibility also exists that now Heinz field has now gotten into his head though and that is contributing to his physical or mental injury.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 15:03 »

Yeah...sorry about that. I didn't actually mean to come up with ten. I figured I could come up with about 6, but as I got more and more fired up while writing, I made it all the way out to 10. But I spelled out the numbers, so it's different from yours.

It's all good.  Maybe we can just get together over a cup of herbal tea, compare notes and exchange some recipes after next week's game.  B)

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 15:32 »

He chili dipped it.

How the fucking hell do you do that on a FG attempt?

Depending on his pregame beverage, maybe he thought the ball was moving?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: