Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 19:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let the fines begin  (Read 2742 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2010 at 11:19 »

I started to think it would have been worth the fines to just start clocking people.

Have not heard a word from the league office about those Patriot hits.  Surprise, surprise.

Had the 212 on for background noise last night and I vaguely recall hearing a passing mention of the Ward hit being "investigated."  When I looked up at the screen, the announcement was scrolling by at the bottom.

What would be sweet is if Ward did a preemptive strike on a fine announcment by saying something to the effect of, "Whatshisface shouldn't be fined.  It's football.  Tackle football.  It comes with the territory.  Only a pussy would whine about that kind of a hit."

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2010 at 11:38 »

I seem to remember an incompletion to Welker in the first half where Ryan Clark obviously pulled up and looked like he was even laughing about it. Was at the game so not sure if this was mentioned on TV at all.

FORTYTHREE AND 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

A shabby Charlie Brown.
P4P
Hillbilly Deluxe
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2010 at 16:35 »

I seem to remember an incompletion to Welker in the first half where Ryan Clark obviously pulled up and looked like he was even laughing about it. Was at the game so not sure if this was mentioned on TV at all.

FORTYTHREE AND 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

LMAO!   clap

Honesty is something you can't wear out.
Waylon Jennings
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2010 at 00:16 »

"Whatshisface shouldn't be fined.  It's football.  Tackle football.  It comes with the territory.  Only a pussy would whine about that kind of a hit."

He's already cussin' and fussin' about possibly not being allowed to play Sunday.  That's a pretty good line to throw in with it.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2010 at 08:47 »

What would be sweet is if Ward did a preemptive strike on a fine announcment by saying something to the effect of, "Whatshisface shouldn't be fined.  It's football.  Tackle football.  It comes with the territory.  Only a pussy would whine about that kind of a hit."

No such luck.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_709847.html

Hines Ward is well aware of the crackdown by the NFL on helmet-to-helmet hits. He has watched the video produced by the league on what is legal and what is a fineable offense. After getting knocked out of Sunday's game by Patriots safety Patrick Chung with an apparent helmet-to-helmet hit, Ward wondered Wednesday why Chung has yet to hear from the league about a fine. "I was falling down and I wasn't expecting to get hit," Ward said. "He hit me, and that is what caused the head/neck or whatever you guys want to call it. I don't know what the league wants. It is what it is. It was helmet to helmet, and I thought that is what usually causes a fine. I am not going to sit there and worry about if the guy got fined or not." Chung was not fined by the league as of yesterday, but the NFL usually doesn't make fines known to public until Friday.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2010 at 15:59 »

Good enough, close enough for me. 

I honestly believe Ward doesn't care if Chung is fined but it's a good jab at Goodell's new emphasis on hits. 

It was ashame to lose Ward but I didn't have a problem with the hit, other than that there appears to be no consistency re: penalties or fines under the new emphasis. 

It was deemed that Ward didn't maintain possession through the catch, creating an incomplete pass.  I would think that also makes him a defenseless receiver.  It is my understanding that a hit to the head of a defenseless receiver with a helmet, shoulder or forearm of a defender creates a 15 yard penalty and a fine under the "new emphasis." 

Every time James Harrison has done it since that Sunday, Bloody Sunday, he has either received a 15 yard penalty, fine or both. 

Just be consistent.  Florio can't seem to get that through his head when he's railing on Polamalu, Harrison and Ward for their comments re: the new emphasis on concussion prevention.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2010 at 18:10 »

The part I don't like was that the Pats were rewarded for the hit.  The play was ruled a catch, but was challenged and overturned.  Well it wasn't a catch because of an illegal helmet-to-helmet, but that can't be reviewed.

So Pats get both the incompletion and knock Ward out of the game, ending his consecutive games with a catch streak.

While it didn't have the ferocity, it was just as illegal if not more so than Harrison's hit on Massequoi.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2010 at 19:45 »

The part I don't like was that the Pats were rewarded for the hit.  The play was ruled a catch, but was challenged and overturned.  Well it wasn't a catch because of an illegal helmet-to-helmet, but that can't be reviewed.

So Pats get both the incompletion and knock Ward out of the game, ending his consecutive games with a catch streak.

While it didn't have the ferocity, it was just as illegal if not more so than Harrison's hit on Massequoi.

Yeah, that was the most infuriating thing for me. I would have liked to punch Belichick in the face-- only BB would have the audacity to have the refs watch that in slo-mo. And of course, why not? The league will pretend this never happened.

Goodell will never come down on that asshole. Billy must have film of Goodell doing something really shameful.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2010 at 22:20 »

Goodell will never come down on that asshole. Billy must have film of Goodell doing something really shameful.

Goodell and Bob Kraft are tight buddies.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2010 at 16:10 »

Woodley fined for late hit on Beardy.   cussing

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c3ec6d/article/steelers-lb-woodley-fined-12500-for-late-hit-on-pats-brady?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: