Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 20, 2014 at 11:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Friggin' Worthless Opinions on Sunday night  (Read 314 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Nov 15, 2010 at 10:10 »

I should just start this with Jonzr's Ex-Lax photo, but I'll leave him the honor of standing alone on that one.

1.  We revert to the default comment that must be made every week.  Bruce Arians is an absolute disaster as an offensive coach.  Mike Tomlin should fire him midseason, because what he is doing to this team is Wade Phillips-esque.  We corrected the problem with the offensive line coach and the results have been shockingly positive.  He has taken a huge steaming mound of an offensive line that is wrecked with injuries and they are playing at a halfway respectable level.  It is beyond time to correct the overall problem by getting rid of Bruce Arians.

2.  The unwillingness of the coaching staff, including Dick LeBeau, to make adjustments last night was frustrating.  The inability of the coaching staff to make adjustments on defense was just depressing.  We don't have the players in the secondary to keep up with a team that "dinks and dunks" us to death.  I still think LeBeau could have made some changes, but he's pretty limited by his personnel.

3.  What's the better option:  TRY to go man to man and possibly get burned, or continue to play zone when you know you're going to get burned?  Just asking.

4.  I think Tom Brady is the best quarterback in the NFL for the last decade.  He's also the biggest douchebag in the NFL over the last decade.  Every time they showed him, I wanted to take a Swiss Army knife to that friggin' haircut.  And if I was on the offensive line and he yelled at me like that after not being touched for the entire first half, I'd slap the hair off his little Justin Bieber head.

5.  I think Ben Roethlisberger is the second-best quarterback in the NFL.  He is still restricted by his offensive line, his pitiful coaching staff, and his stubborn stupidity in refusing to release the ball.  But he is the center of the offense, and he needs to be running the show.  It is infuriating that they waited until the fourth quarter, down three touchdowns, to finally pull of the handcuffs and just let Ben be Ben.  Odd, that was also about the point at which Ben began to deliver the ball on time.  Even on the pick 6 (a bad throw), the ball was on time and not at all uncatchable. 
     Stop the charade.  Let Ben take over the whole damn show on offense, because he is the franchise and does it better than anyone who is actually calling the plays.

SIDEBAR:  I hate Chris Collinsworth because he just sounds like an arrogant arse, something about his voice I guess.  But the guy actually knows what he's talking about and makes a lot of sense.  He was making many of the same observations that we've made on this board, which might speak well of the intelligence level on this board.  He's much better in the booth than he is in the studio.

6.  Brady had the ability to ride his team and fire them up when they were not playing up to his standard.  Ben doesn't have that kind of credibility yet.  He still has a long way to go to get that back; however, empowering him in the offense would go a long way towards doing that.  Until Ben re-establishes his leadership role, we are going to struggle.

7.  Perhaps the most disappointing aspect of the team last night was the receiving corps.  Ben was surely trying to fit the ball in some tight windows, but those are catches that ARE and Heat should make, and normally do.  The loss of Hines Ward was painfully obvious in the red zone especially.

8.  I hate Belicheck and would have to resist the urge to punch him in the face if I ever saw him.  But he exposed every weakness that the Steelers have, and the Steelers had no response for three quarters.  Part of my hatred is a sign of respect for what he can do.

9.  It's time to bring in some kickers and see what they can do.

10.  As bad as it is, the season is far from over.  The Patriots looked as bad last week as we did this week.  There is still time to turn it back around; however, the mounting injury list and gaps in the secondary are going to make this a massive uphill battle.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 11:26 »

2.  The unwillingness of the coaching staff, including Dick LeBeau, to make adjustments last night was frustrating.  The inability of the coaching staff to make adjustments on defense was just depressing.  We don't have the players in the secondary to keep up with a team that "dinks and dunks" us to death.  I still think LeBeau could have made some changes, but he's pretty limited by his personnel.

Unfortunately, this is nothing new.  Many of us have been saying this since, well...Cowher and basically it was the same MO when Noll was HC too.  Obviously, it's a prerequisite to being a coach on this team.

"Don't worry about what the other team does...just focus on what we do.  If it works, great.  If it doesn't, uhhhh, keep trying because it's bound to work sooner or later."

In the last however many years, I think I can count on one hand the amount of times that this team has come out surprised me with their scheming.  What, New England came out and ran a 75:25 pass to run ratio?  No fucking way. 

I'm sure it's been mentioned in another thread, but I haven't had a chance to look through them all yet, Bettis was on Mike and Mike this morning and essentially said the same thing.  It's that way now; it was that way when he was there; and, I'd imagine it's going to be that way for the foreseeable future.  In game adjustments and/or gameplanning around your opponents (even when that opponent has basically one, single motherfucking strength) is taboo in Pittsburgh.

*sigh*

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 11:39 »

3. Re: yeah, I'd rather play man and get smoked for an 80 yard bomb than let them dink it down the field all night, especially considering no one on that team really scares me to beat the D deep. Unless William Gay is covering them.

5. Re: I've been screaming for them to take the reigns off Ben for a few games now, but something looks off about him to me. Seems like he's struggling going through his progressions. Or maybe no one is getting open. I dunno, hard to tell on TV.

9. Re: Reed needs fired yesterday. He used to be a talented punk, now he's just a punk. When he's collecting an unemployment check next year, I bet he'll be wishing he took this year a bit more seriously.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 12:43 »

but something looks off about him to me

I would agree, and I kind of expected that for a few weeks. 

Question becomes:  Is he off because he's just getting back into the swing of things, or is he "off" because he's being held back by our mindless offensive coaching?

After watching the fourth quarter last night, I'm calling the latter.  My overly optimistic hope is that quarter will help him in the long run with getting into the flow of games.  I also hope it will re-establish his leadership status and propel him to begin speaking up about the game plan and how things are done.  Dude damn near got us back into that game in spite of ourselves.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 12:53 »

Dude damn near got us back into that game in spite of ourselves.

I wouldn't make too much of anything Ben did in the 4th quarter. The Pats were playing prevent, basically, and Ben was throwing underneath stuff, occassionally exploiting the 3-man rush to create a middling big play.

Means nothing. Ben had a terrible night, in my opinion, and, like the rest of the team, seemed unwilling to adjust his playing style in the face of what the Pats were giving him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: