Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 24, 2014 at 02:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remaining schedule  (Read 1276 times)
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« on: Nov 15, 2010 at 13:28 »

Sun, Nov 21 vsOakland 1:00 PM  - Win

12 Sun, Nov 28 @Buffalo 1:00 PM - Win

13 Sun, Dec 5 @Baltimore 8:20 PM - Loss

14 Sun, Dec 12 vsCincinnati 1:00 PM  - Win

15 Sun, Dec 19 vsNew York 4:15 PM  -Win

16 Thu, Dec 23 vsCarolina 8:20 PM - Win

17 Sun, Jan 2 @Cleveland 1:00 - Win

6-1 down the stretch...if we do not shit the bed against some bad teams.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 13:36 »

Seeing how we played last year after 6-2, I'm hesitant to pencil in any wins at all.  Just show me, bastards.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 14:21 »

This is a hard team to read right now. You could easily say we were lucky to get to 6-2. Our games against Atlanta and Tennessee could have easily gone the other way. The refs gifted us the Miami game, let's face it. We almost blew it against a shit Cincy team, and caught the Browns at the right time (McCoy's first game).

We've seen any quarterback above the average level shred us, especially when it counted.

And now, the injuries.

So here's my take on the remaining games:

Oakland - Win. This game worries me, but teams that depend on the run generally don't match up on us. It's the passing teams that kill us. We will win ugly though. 7-3

At Buffalo - Loss. We're going to blow one we shouldn't, I can just feel it. 7-4

At Baltimore - Loss. Division race is over. Halitosis Ngata literally swallows Jonathan Scott whole, like a gigantic fucking Amazon Frog, cleats uselessly kicking, hanging out of his mouth. 7-5

Cincinnati - Win. Steelers fight through the negative press with a blowout win that gives us hope. 8-5

New York Jets - Win. We win a battle of "decent teams who win ugly." Don't ask me how. Maybe we return a couple of fumbles for TDs or some shit. 9-5

Carolina - Win. The worst team in football pays us a visit at the exact right time. 10-5

At Cleveland - Loss. Cleveland will have been eliminated the week prior, but will treat this like a playoff game. 10-6
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 15:22 »

All right, I'll play.

11.21 v. Oakland Tommy Kelly and Richard Seymour have notched 9.5 sacks between them at the DT position, and will likely give whoever's playing guard some fits.  Pressure up the gut will be matched with Jon Scott again tested, with Kam Wimbley at OLB beating him cleanly (4.5 sacks on the year).  Oakland's 27 sacks this season is only one behind league leaders St. Louis and Green Bay.  Expect them to pad that total substantially.  O/U on sacks: 6.5.

RB Darren McFadden leads the league with 108.0 YPG.  Against a shaky Steelers front (what happens whenever A. Smith gets hurt?), you might think he's in for a big day, but the Steelers will look for Campbell to beat them through the air.  Given the secondary's uncanny knack for making any Tom, Dick or Harry look like the second coming of Johnny U., expect Campbell to rack up yards by exploiting matchups (TE, WR2 &3).  That means a big day for Zach Miller, speedster Jacoby Ford, and Darrius Heyward-Bey, since McFadden is also the top receiver.  Steelers 27-21

11.28 @ Buffalo  There is no excuse for losing to either Buffalo or Carolina.  If either happens, I am going on record as saying we finish 6-10 and face major coaching overhaul.  Steelers 31-13

12.5 @ Baltimore  Unless we improve, I can see the Ravens sweeping us, with their best defensive player (Ngata) having a field day.  Ravens will blitz mercilessly.  Sack over/under: 5.5.  Ravens 20-17

12.12 v. Cincinnati  Add the Bengals to the teams of relentless suckage (Carolina, Buffalo).  Palmer needs to be put down.  Steelers 26-17.

12.19 v. New York <Jets 23-20

12.23 v. Carolina<Steelers 34-7.

1.2 @ Cleveland Rob Ryan will load the POA in funky ways to take advantage of the line woes.  The third team to post a minimum of 5 sacks during this stretch run.  Sack over/under: 6.5.  Also, Colt McCoy will do his methodical dinkery down the field and notch a win against the Steelers to add to wins versus the Patriots and Saints.  Steelers end with a whimper.  Browns 24-20
10-6, miss the playoffs again.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 15:25 »

Honestly, with the way they've played recently, I'm having flashbacks to my preseason jitters.  I don't see a single layup on that sked.  

Well, maybe Carolina, but with the way Pittsburgh's luck has been running, Claussen will have an epiphany in Week 14 and look like...Colt Fucking McCoy against them in Week 16.  Wonder if Stewart or Williams will be back by then.  No idea on their status.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
TucsonSteeler

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2010 at 09:46 »

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2010 at 12:46 »

Why would anyone think we are not going to lose the next 4-5 games?

Because some of us actually enjoy looking forward the games on Sunday, rather than dreading their approach.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2010 at 14:28 »

Opposing QBs have had success running the same type of dink and dunk passes on the Steelers for TWO YEARS now, WTF. 

Two years?  Only two?  You sure?  Somewhere, Duhwayne Washington and Charred Scott are smiling.

We have got to be the easiest team to prepare for in the NFL.

Venture to guess that there are about 29 or 30 teams out there that disagree.

Why would anyone think we are not going to lose the next 4-5 games?

I get the frustration, believe me, I get it.  But, let's back off the ledge a 'lil bit.  This team still has a top 5 or 6 franchise QB; a damn good defense, Week 10 results be damned; and some playmakers on both sides of the ball that are going to have to step up.

There are no layups from here on out, but this team is still capable of beating anyone on any given night.  And, considering the parity in the NFL, most teams are in the same boat.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2010 at 15:30 »

I get the frustration, believe me, I get it.  But, let's back off the ledge a 'lil bit.  This team still has a top 5 or 6 franchise QB; a damn good defense, Week 10 results be damned; and some playmakers on both sides of the ball that are going to have to step up.

There are no layups from here on out, but this team is still capable of beating anyone on any given night.  And, considering the parity in the NFL, most teams are in the same boat.

That is all true AJ, but I can also see the argument that someone could make where we lose the next 4-5 (or even all but one of the rest).

Just to play devil's advocate, here is what I came up with:

11.21 v. Oakland - Why not? They're only one sack behind the best 2 teams in the league in sacks and have been much improved this season compared with last season. The sacks are something that we've been screaming about for years and no actions have been taken to address the problem. We just keep having injuries and the problem just gets worse and worse. Why shouldn't we expect them to be all over Ben in this game? Also, yes, Oakland is a run first team, but they can also throw it when they need to and they can score big points this season too. They are 7th in the league in scoring offense.

11.28 @ Buffalo - Buffalo has been pretty much a pass happy team ever since Fitzpatrick took over (last game excepted) and there is little doubt that we have trouble stopping the pass (as New England proved). If Fitzpatrick is hot and Lee Mays has no trouble with our CBs (why would he), then I could see them winning this game. It's more of a matchup problem rather than a question of who is the better team. Also, they do not have a bad passing defense (7th in the league) even though they are dead last in stopping the run. I can see us shutting down Mendenhall early and throwing the ball 50 times in this game. It could easily be dropped even though it shouldn't under any circumstances.

12.5 @ Baltimore - Both the offense and defense scare me in this game and this is one of the best teams in the league. Ben might actually leave the game on a stretcher. We always have trouble covering Ray Rice as a receiver, so even if they can't run they should still be able to move the ball. Plus with the injuries on the DLine, they may be able to run the ball better than usual too.

12.12 v. Cincinnati - Another pass first offense that if Palmer is hot, could give us fits on defense. They do not have much of a defense, but they are ranked higher than NE against the Pass and Run and we couldn't do anything against NE until it was too late.

12.19 v. New York - This matchup is actually the best one we face since they are a much better rushing team than they are passing, but they have some weapons through the air in Holmes, Edwards, Cotchery, Keller, and Tomlinson (leading their team). Who can cover all of these people if they decide to play the matchup and just sling it around like New England did? They also have a good defense who can shutdown the run and a CB capable of shutting down our deep threat completely. On the season, they have more sacks than NE did, which does not give me a warm fuzzy that the OLine will be able to protect Ben at all.

12.23 v. Carolina - I can not see any way that we lose this game. And I tried to come up with something.

1.2 @ Cleveland - Cleveland has played some of the best teams in the league in some very close games. Most of the time they have come up a little short, but they're bound to get lucky sometime. Plus, it could very well be that if the Steelers win this game, they go to the playoffs and if not, they go home. Believe me, Cleveland would want to play spoiler. On defense, we do match up pretty well though as this is another run first team. They do have a good young arm and if he can do enough to make us back up to start playing pass more, then the running game and PA could give us fits.

I think 11-5 gets us in the playoffs (where we will be trounced by the Pats again probably), but at 10-6 I believe that we'll need help from other teams to get in. I actually expect us to go 5-2 or at worst 4-3 to finish out the season at 11-5 or 10-6, but I could see someone being able to come up with an argument for why we will lose any game except the Panthers from here on out.

Here's how I would rank the remaining games in terms of probability of a Steelers loss (from the highest probability to the least obviously):

BAL
NYJ
OAK
BUF
CIN
CLE
CAR
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2010 at 15:37 by kluisi61 » Logged

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2010 at 15:59 »

11.28 @ Buffalo - Buffalo has been pretty much a pass happy team ever since Fitzpatrick took over (last game excepted) and there is little doubt that we have trouble stopping the pass (as New England proved). If Fitzpatrick is hot and Lee Mays has no trouble with our CBs (why would he), then I could see them winning this game. It's more of a matchup problem rather than a question of who is the better team. Also, they do not have a bad passing defense (7th in the league) even though they are dead last in stopping the run. I can see us shutting down Mendenhall early and throwing the ball 50 times in this game. It could easily be dropped even though it shouldn't under any circumstances.

It's a fucking MIRACLE!

Brian St. Pierre and Lee Mays resurrected the same week! 

Wait, wait, don't tell me... Plax is getting out of prison and re-signing with the Giants...?

Steelers re-sign Todd Fordham?

Kendrell Bell's signing wallets?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: