Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 21, 2014 at 18:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jests-Pasties  (Read 1084 times)
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2010 at 09:57 »

As much as I was pulling for the Jets, I think this helps us. The Jets can't be the # 2 if the Pats are #1 (Jets will be the wildcard). Assuming we go 3-1 down the stretch and get the # 2, we avoid the Pats until the AFCC and they may have to deal with someone like Baltimore who matches up better with them (took them to OT earlier in the year).

Not that I want to go to Foxboro if we make it that far, but we'd lose to them at Heinz anyway. May as well avoid them and hope someone else knocks them off.

I agree...I hated every minute of it and even found myself yelling about the terrible play of the Jets until I remembered that I wanted them to lose. It also helps if we somehow end up tied with the Jets for a wild card spot since we still have a possibility of beating them head to head and gaining the tie-breaker.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2010 at 12:35 »

As much as I was pulling for the Jets, I think this helps us. The Jets can't be the # 2 if the Pats are #1 (Jets will be the wildcard). Assuming we go 3-1 down the stretch and get the # 2, we avoid the Pats until the AFCC and they may have to deal with someone like Baltimore who matches up better with them (took them to OT earlier in the year).

Not that I want to go to Foxboro if we make it that far, but we'd lose to them at Heinz anyway. May as well avoid them and hope someone else knocks them off.

I agree...I hated every minute of it and even found myself yelling about the terrible play of the Jets until I remembered that I wanted them to lose. It also helps if we somehow end up tied with the Jets for a wild card spot since we still have a possibility of beating them head to head and gaining the tie-breaker.

I had been looking at this as a case of the 5 seed having to play 3 games instead of 2 to get to the SB, and playing on the road.  That might not hurt a team like the Pats too much, but had they been the 5 seed, it would have meant one more chance for an upset, one more chance (frankly) for a key injury.

But assuming 1. Jets, 2. Steelers, 3. KC, 4. Jax, 5. NE, and 6. Balty, that would track us to a matchup in week 2 if they beat Jax.  Only chance to rearrange that would have been to have us sweep, including a H2H with the Jets, meaning we'd be 1st seed and they'd host NE.  In that case, it would likely have been NE v. NYJ and Balty v. Pitt.

As it stands, the seeding is 1. NE (10-2), 2. Pitt (9-3), 3. KC (8-4), 4. Jax (7-5), 5. NYJ (9-3), and 6. Balty (8-4).  Suddenly, San Diego has long odds of overcoming KC, and Indy looks pooped, and Houston and Tenn are 2 back too.  I have a difficult time envisioning a lot of shakeup to that seeding barring unforeseen collapses somewhere.  In the 6 v. 3, Ravens should handle KC.  Veteran team in the playoffs, KC is a shaky bid out of a weak sister division.  That automatically has Baltimore facing NE, which seems pretty automatic whatever happens in the AFCW or AFCS -- Baltimore should win. 

That 6 v. 1 is fine, as Baltimore does match up better with NE, and at the very least can beat them up some.  If Balty wins, Ben is 5-0 v. Fucco, so there's that.  Another 3-point win, one would hope. 

In the 5 v. 4, I still cannot for the life of me take Jacksonville seriously, and I think the Jets bounce back just as we did after the Patriots gave us our dose.  That means the Jets game 12/19 could well be a preview of the second week of the playoffs.  The AFCE and AFCN trade rivalries before the AFCC showdown. 

It's going to take some smarter playcalling, some renewed health, and some fucking luck, but there's a path to the SB and no matter how fugly, it's conceivable.  That's all that counts right now.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2010 at 07:16 »

Then just hope someone else can knock off the Pats because I really don't see us beating them.

Me either, but you never know, there's supposedly a first time for everything.

Yeah, I don't think we match up well with those 'mos. Still, I said that same thing when we were set to play the Dolts back in '05 after they had destroyed us earlier that season. That worked out pretty well, though, eh?

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2010 at 08:56 »

Then just hope someone else can knock off the Pats because I really don't see us beating them.

Me either, but you never know, there's supposedly a first time for everything.

Yeah, I don't think we match up well with those 'mos. Still, I said that same thing when we were set to play the Dolts back in '05 after they had destroyed us earlier that season. That worked out pretty well, though, eh?

I prolly don't need to remind you of the personnel differences between that team and this.  And I'm not talking about the guys who wear the uniforms, either.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: