Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 30, 2014 at 23:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Friggin' Worthless Opinions--Jets game  (Read 942 times)
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2010 at 10:15 »

Yeah the draw call was horrible on so many levels. If they had to call that play at least give to to someone who can, you know, break a tackle or make someone miss. Gee, I wish we had 2 running backs like that on the roster.

If they were so intent on running, run a play that has a less than 50% chance in ending in disaster. Fuck, have your mac truck QB sneak it for 3 yards if you're worried about giving yourself room.

Sometimes I wish I rooted for a team that would fire an OC for such a bad call. Arians will probably get extended though.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2010 at 11:02 »

Luckily, yesterday was an incredibly busy day for me, between Christmas parties and family functions, and I didn't feel like waiting to get him to watch on TiVo.  So I saw bits and pieces at various houses, listened to the local radio feed with Hillgrove, and then got home to see about the last 10:00 of the 4Q.

Can't say the outcome surprised but:

*Surprised Ben wasn't sacked a lot more.
*We clinched a playoff spot allowing 43 to get healthy, even with the loss.  Say what you will about the dropoff by the D, but I'll take that.
*STs have been much improved.  Yesterday they may have lost us the game.  I think their poor play is very correctable.
*I cannot remember a team in recent memory have so much success with so many key injuries.  The OL is ridiculous (Starks, Colon, various temporary dings to Kemo, Pouncey, Flo, etc.); Smith and Pola, the key injuries that sank us last year; the gaggle of injuries to 7; the Heat concussion...  At the very least, this team has shown that it can Band-Aid the OL for stretches and get some protection, though unreliably.  Better, Heat will be back, Ben never stops, and if we get Smith and Pola for the post, this team goes from wounded tiger to nasty beast quick fast.
*We've faced quality opponents and been out of none of our games, except the Patriots game, and even then we got some late traction.
*BA and DL seem to get more aggressive in the post.  Some more aggression in the regular might be nice, but they seem to enjoy springing the surprise.
*Our draft needs must be bloody obvious to the FO this year.  They'd be hard pressed to fuck this up.
*We may not look SB caliber, but then who has?  And the team that has was getting taken to the mat by a similar 3-4 defense from GB, and with... wait for it... Matt... FLYNN QBing.  You cannot tell me that GB has suffered fewer key injuries than we have, or that we cannot call an offensive or defensive game against the Patsies that would similarly take advantage of the matchup issues (run the fucking ball to kill clock, get your mobile QB into rolling pockets and PAP, punch Brady in the fucking face early and often).

As sour as I was in my preview to the Jets game, when I thought Rex would commit homicide against BBR with a variety of blitzes; apparently, the line was not atrocious, the playcalling by BA had its moments, DL gets timid with his 43 security blanket, and we finish with two winnable games and a likely bye to heal.  Once healthy, can we get it together?  I think so.

Yay!  Mild optimism.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2010 at 11:26 »

If **** had anything in his bag of tricks, the time to use it would have been after the first drive of the 2nd half when it was 17-10. Key time there as a big stop and another TD or even a FG probably puts it away. The Jets offense isn't good, and Sanchez has been erratic. This was the week to dial it up.

Nah, they're savin' that for the rematch in January.

*eye roll*

Per usual, good points, P.  I agree with whoever said it was a frustrating game to watch; never seemed like they could get it out of neutral and in gear. 

Pass pro seemed damned good...can't remember the last time I said that.  Several times Ben dropped back and had a beautiful pocket to stand in, but he never seemed to find anyone in rhythm.  Sadly, either guys just can't get open initially on their own or he just doesn't have the ability to take a 5 step drop and throw to a spot.  I guess at this point in his career, he's more improviser, but as he ages and matures, he's gotta do a better job of that, IMO.  One other note about the protection, I know the Jets have been having a helluva time at getting to the QB, so I half expected Pittsburgh to have a little success in that department.  But, even when they outrighted blitzed, the O-line and whichever RB was in did a good job of picking it up; only seem to recall once where someone came in untouched.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2010 at 11:33 »

Hated the (1) draw play, (2) from the shotgun, (3) with a pulling guard, (4) especially because we were backed up LATE IN THE GAME, (5) playing a team that walked up 10 men on every single play of the game.

Besides that I cannot complain much, except for the decision to punt from the Jets' 34 on fourth and four early in the game (as I mentioned in the gameday thread).  THAT IS 4 DOWN TERRITORY.  Our coverage overran the punt and it went for a glorious net 12 yards, to boot.  At the very least, march the O out there for the hard count and help yourself by taking the delay of game.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2010 at 11:52 »

*Our draft needs must be bloody obvious to the FO this year.  They'd be hard pressed to fuck this up.

I haven't been keeping up...what TE prospect do you think will still be on the board in the late 20s in R1?  Maybe go ILB?  Farrior looks slow out there.  Trading up and snagging a guy will get strong consideration.

*We may not look SB caliber, but then who has?  And the team that has was getting taken to the mat by a similar 3-4 defense from GB, and with... wait for it... Matt... FLYNN QBing.  You cannot tell me that GB has suffered fewer key injuries than we have, or that we cannot call an offensive or defensive game against the Patsies that would similarly take advantage of the matchup issues (run the fucking ball to kill clock, get your mobile QB into rolling pockets and PAP, punch Brady in the fucking face early and often).

Amazing how their defense can go from how they looked against Pittsburgh, to how they looked against the Pack.  Yeah, letdown game, blah, blah, blah, but...mark my words, IDGAF how "unstoppable" their offense is, their defensive inexperience and immaturity will cost them a real chance of winning the Lombardi, Shaggy One be damned.  Plus, I still maintain that they peaked too early.  Self doubt in a young team isn't something you can just shake off in a week or two.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2010 at 12:34 »

I can't understand why they don't run more pap plays.  I think they ran one yesterday, and Ben hit someone, Ward I think, wide freaking open.

There is always a back in there to block, so there is a warm body there for the fake, so why not (excluding obvious answer that BA is an idiot)?  Even if it's 1/3 of the pass plays, when Mendy is ripping off 5+ per carry the LB's and maybe even a safety/corner may bite on it too.  If that gives #17 a half step on one play per game, that's potentially a lot of points.

Speaking of #17, how about the fake spike play.  Loved the call, and I presume Ben called it.  I would love to know what the route was supposed to be, or, who screwed up.  Ben was pissed, but Mikey had his guy(s) beat to the EZ.  Maybe it was the designed back shoulder/ stop route.  I'd love to know who should have done what on that play.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2010 at 13:27 »

Speaking of #17, how about the fake spike play.  Loved the call, and I presume Ben called it.  I would love to know what the route was supposed to be, or, who screwed up.  Ben was pissed, but Mikey had his guy(s) beat to the EZ.  Maybe it was the designed back shoulder/ stop route.  I'd love to know who should have done what on that play.

Next time we run that, we get 6.

But since BA is the coordinator, will he ever try it again?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2010 at 15:09 »

Are you kidding me?  That was the third time we ran that play out of that exact formation, once to Moore to the left, once to Mendenhall to the right, then the safety to Moore to the right.

Let me make a correction.  It was not a good play call, but the play was well-executed by everyone other than Scott.  Nice gap there to at least make positive yardage.

I either misspoke or misrepresented.  I misremembered how I wanted to misinterpret that.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: