Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 14:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bill Cowher: Talk Surfaces of Bill Cowher's Return to NFL  (Read 452 times)
P4P
Hillbilly Deluxe
Old School Member

« on: Dec 20, 2010 at 14:35 »

http://www.thirdage.com/news/bill-cowher-talk-surfaces-bill-cowhers-return-nfl_12-20-2010

Bill Cowher could be ready to return to the NFL. Cowher, the former Steelers coach and a Crafton native, would be willing to return to coaching next season if the head job with the Miami Dolphins, Houston Texans or New York Giants became available, ESPN reported yesterday. Cowher stepped down as Steelers coach after the 2006 season, compiling a 161-99-1 record and a victory in Super Bowl XL in 15 seasons. After resigning, he moved to North Carolina with his wife, Kaye, and three daughters.

He began working as a studio analyst with CBS in 2007. Through the years Cowher dismissed speculation that he would return to the sidelines but never ruled out the possibility. "The only reason why I've (never) said never is I don't want to become a hypocrite because I can never foretell the future," he said prior to joining CBS.

Cowher often said he wouldn't coach again until his daughters were out of high school. His youngest, Lindsay, graduated in 2009. Kaye Cowher died from cancer in July. Cowher told USAToday.com earlier this month that he was willing to listen to coaching opportunities but, "I'm not going to comment on any hypothetical situations until the entire season is over."

Read more: http://www.thirdage.com/news/bill-cowher-talk-surfaces-bill-cowhers-return-nfl_12-20-2010#ixzz18gbow65K

Honesty is something you can't wear out.
Waylon Jennings
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2010 at 16:51 »

Miami job won't be available.  Sparano seems to be a solution at QB away from a competitive ball club.

Houston will hopefully be vacant, with Kubiak stepping in here as OC.

The Giants?  Can't see Cowher putting up with the BS that comes with that job.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pain

« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2010 at 17:55 »

The World Wide Leader is reporting that he wants the jobs in this order: New York Giants, Miami Dolphins, Houston Texans...Whether or not he would do well with the BS that comes with the NY job (and I agree there would be plenty), I'd prefer he go there, frankly. I'm all for him coming back to coach somewhere; he got some quality time in with his family and now with his wife's passing, he probably needs to come back now more than ever. I wish him much success if he does come back, just not against this franchise.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2010 at 18:53 »

No idea where or how the info came out, but I think it's poor form to talk about wanting coaching positions that are currently filled. Being a long time member of the coaching fraternity, I wouldn't think he'd do that.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2010 at 20:04 »

No idea where or how the info came out, but I think it's poor form to talk about wanting coaching positions that are currently filled. Being a long time member of the coaching fraternity, I wouldn't think he'd do that.

^^^

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2010 at 11:26 »

I seriously doubt he goes to one of the potentially vacant AFCN jobs, Bengals (most likely vacant) or Browns (maybe).  Bad setup, and bad form WRT the Rooneys and Steelers fans.  Same thing with Dallas and Oakland (if Cable goes), though that's probably more about the owners and less about historical rivalries.

Minnesota is too much in flux: bad QB situation, the dome is trashed, will they move, etc.  Pass.

San Fran may be open, but again, bad QB situation, poor ownership situation.  Pass.

Bad teams from the 2010 season that likely won't fire their HC, due to downstream potential or recency of HC hiring: Tennessee (Fisher looks safe), Washington (Shanny will get at least another year), Detroit (Lions are close to turning it around), Seattle (Carroll in first year, bad team still in division lead tie), and Arizona (Whiz ain't the problem).

I agree that Miami seems an odd mention for a firing, as Sparano has been decent in a very competitive division.  He needs a QB to build on, though. 

That leaves: the Denver job, Houston (almost assuredly), Carolina (slam dunk), and NY Giants (if situation comes to a head).  I don't think Coughlin will quit or be fired, but he's a hothead and it's somewhat volatile.  The media pressure of NY is a negative for Cowher, but he might see going to the Mara/Tisch ownership as being a bad thing, given the historical connectedness of the Rooneys and Maras and the stability of that franchise.  The team has plenty of talent and even with Eli at QB, it's not like he'd have to start from scratch.  I still think Coughlin hangs around like a bad fungus and makes the case moot, but if Coughlin steps on too many toes, the negotiations could begin before the official interviews start.

Carolina is often mentioned, given its proximity to Cowher's residence, but there are some questions.  Jerry Richardson is whispered to be something of a tightwad, and that's not gonna get it done WRT to a Cowher deal.  The Panthers have traditionally been a strong ground game, tough D team, all Cowher-esque, but they're in a major decline.  Cowher would need to rebuild brick by brick, including figuring out if Clausen is worth building around or a new QB is in order (Luck?).  Carolina looks very iffy to me. 

Since I don't think NYG comes open, and Carolina is a bad landing, IMO Denver and Houston look like the best spots.  Broncos are in a wide-open AFCW division that Cowher could see making inroads into quickly (Raiders, Chiefs, and Chargers).  Pat Bowlen is probably one of the better owners to work with, and after the McDaniels fiasco Cowher would be heralded as a god.  The Denver D was better under Mike Nolan as a 3-4, so it may be scheme and coaching.  Cowher would have to evaluate Orton and Kordell Lord Tebow and see if he could work with that.  Broncos need an overhaul, but are a better landing than Carolina.

IMO, the best spot is Houston.  McNair has very deep pockets and is loyal (to the point that he's still publicly backing Kubiak).  The division is in flux: the Jags haven't been putting it together convincingly for some time, Fisher seems mired in mediocrity and has his own QB rebuilding, and the Colts diminish a shade each year.  The Texans expect every year to be their year, and every year they wind up around 8-8.  But it's not like they don't have talent on both sides of the ball.  Like the NYG, Cowher wouldn't need to rebuild the QB spot, and they have a solid ground game.  It would be a matter of getting a good DC and some secondary help, and this team could be a playoff contender from day 1.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2010 at 13:54 »

Same thing with Dallas and Oakland (if Cable goes),

I agree with Cowher likely not interested, but is Cable really in trouble?  I know Al has lost it, but it's the first time in almost a decade the Raiders are close to relevant in December.

Think Garrett has done enough to keep Dallas gig?
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2010 at 14:50 »

Same thing with Dallas and Oakland (if Cable goes),

I agree with Cowher likely not interested, but is Cable really in trouble?  I know Al has lost it, but it's the first time in almost a decade the Raiders are close to relevant in December.

Think Garrett has done enough to keep Dallas gig?

It's possible that Cable goes, though that seems to have cooled lately.  It was on the table before, and Al definitely grooves to his own drummer.  If I were to bet on it, I'd say Al sleeps until the draft and Cable sticks another year, but the leash ain't long.

Hard to say with Garrett.  4-2 since Wade got the bum rush, but it's still hard to get a good idea of whether Garrett's the real deal over 16+ per year, year in and year out.  No Romo, no Dez, no Spears, etc. skews that too.  I think Jerry wanted Garrett in as HC, then had misgivings, and now maybe is inclined to stick with him after all, but nothing would surprise me.  Frankly, the turnaround could be just the difference in how disciplined practices are, but might say little about his overall coaching acumen.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: