Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 23, 2014 at 20:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Way to ruin a good idea  (Read 1322 times)
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2010 at 23:50 »

Cannot believe I'm the only one with Ben in the Top 5.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2010 at 09:33 »

I hate these kinds of questions, because 10 ain't enough (our leftovers could help pad out some teams' thinner top 10s) and different eras are apples to oranges.  But I do think that most of the guys on the top 10s people are offering could step into a time machine and play in the 70s, 80s, 90s, or Aughts.  I'm starting the list with the Noll era, arbitrarily.

1. Mean Joe Greene.  Noll's first draft pick.  Cornerstone of the Steel Curtain, without which there would have been no Lombardis in the 70s.  Period.
2. Mel Blount.  Big, fast, and mean.  Literally changed the game. 
3. Jack Lambert.  One of the few in the 20/20 club (20+ sacks and interceptions).  Cannot overlook his leadership.  My mental image of the Steel Curtain is the toothless face of Jack Lambert.
4. Hines Ward.  Leading receiver, tough SOB who always gets up laughing.  Invaluable to the run game, hits like a LB.
5. Ben Roethlisberger.  IMO a superior QB to Bradshaw, more crucial to the 2 SBs of the Aughts than Terry was to the 4 in the 70s. 
6. Jack Ham.  Fast, smart, another 20/20 LB, having him and Lambert would be like having two ILBs with Ray Lewis's skillset roaming the middle.
7. Rod Woodson.  Could play anywhere in the secondary, super return man, great leader.
8. Troy Polamalu.  Will leave behind an astounding reel of highlights, perhaps some of the most physically amazing feats ever by someone wearing the B&G.  Some injury limitations. 
9. Mike Webster.  Iron Mike is one guy who probably would not make the time machine trip to the modern era (6'1", 255#), but was anchor of the 70s OL and played 150 straight games.  Tough as nails.
10.  Greg Lloyd.  As mean as James Harrison, but a longer career.  Absolutely one of the best LBs of any era.

Honorable mention:
11. Jerome Bettis.
12. Terry Bradshaw.
13. Dermontti Dawson.
14. L.C. Greenwood.
15. Dwight White.
16. Lynn Swann.
17. Aaron Smith.
18. Casey Hampton.
19. Joey Porter.
20. John Stallworth.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2010 at 12:17 »

(our leftovers could help pad out some teams' thinner top 10s)

As said previously, our 11-20 would be better than half the league's top 10. 

DPOY Harrison doesn't even crack Finny's top 20, nor does Shell or Kirkland.  That's serious depth.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Dec 31, 2010 at 09:10 »

(our leftovers could help pad out some teams' thinner top 10s)

As said previously, our 11-20 would be better than half the league's top 10. 

DPOY Harrison doesn't even crack Finny's top 20, nor does Shell or Kirkland.  That's serious depth.

To me, it came down to Harrison or Porter.  I had to look at productivity and longevity (cf., Kevin Greene).  I personally like Harrison better, epitomizes the Steeler mindset more completely in my book, and could have put up ridiculously big numbers had he started longer.  Shell, Capt. Kirk, Andy Russell, very close IMO.  Hell, our 20-30 could make some top 10s.  I even considered Bleier just because of intangibles, a story you had to love growing up in the 70s.

It will be interesting to see how long Harrison plays in the league.  He's 32, only started since 2007, yet has 48.5 sacks and looks like he has a lot of productive years left.  Lots of tread left.  Seems impossible that he was stuck behind Clark Haggans (!).  Porter is 33 and appears to be done, after less than inspiring stints at Miami and Zona.  97 sacks, or twice Harrison's total, in 12 years, or 4 times as long starting.  Serious endurance productivity, and not bad year-by-year from Peazy, but a huge spike of productivity from Silverback once given the reins.  Insane. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: