Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 29, 2014 at 08:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pens-Caps  (Read 564 times)
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Dec 23, 2010 at 12:47 »

Safe to say I wont be watching the Steelers game tonight...I'm so fired up for this! Hockey has always been my favorite sport, and the Pens my favorite sports team. But this year, I've found it harder and harder to pay attention to the Steelers. Of course I'll watch all their games, and cheer like crazy. But other than on Sunday, the Pens dominate my attention. Especially with 24/7, Sid's streak, 12 wins in a row, ect. This has been a fun year, and it's only gonna get better.

Anyway, predictions for tonight? I say Pens take it 4-2. Sid keeps his streak going with a couple more points.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2010 at 13:18 »

FYI Whitmer, FSN is replaying the Pens-Caps at 11 pm eastern, so if you can avoid seeing the score until then, you can watch both games.

I agree with you, though. Watching this team this year is just awesome, mostly because of the improved defense. After a brutal start Michalek has settled in and been an animal, especially on the PK.  Martin has been very good in a under the radar steady kind of way. Letang is in beast mode, I still swear he has the highest ceiling on the team for anyone not named Crosby and Malkin.

The Letang-Orpik pairing is much better than last season. it seems they are both chasing alot less hits and it's lead to them both being in better position. They are both entering their prime (Orpik is older but college players usually take longer to catch on). Goligoski has improved, and Engelland and Lovejoy have both been ok. The minors are actually loaded at defense as well, Depres should be ready next year and I've liked what I've seen out of Sneep and Strait. I think eventually Gogo will be the odd man out when Depres is ready, which will be fine with me as I think he could fetch a top 6 forward.

24/7 has been great. If anyone doesn't have HBO, the Pens website runs the episodes after the fact (edited out the 98 F-bombs per episode though).

Predictions: 3-2 pens in the shootout. Sid has a goal and an assist.
whitmer_87

« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2010 at 13:55 »

I'm expecting the Steelers to handle Carolina tonight, so I'll just tivo that.

You're absolutely right about the defense. Also, apart from last night and the last seven minutes of the Rags game, we're playing hard all three periods. We look like a young Red Wings team. A team that trusts the system, trusts one another, and plays hard at all times.

Also, special teams is a major improvement over last season. Our PK is ridiculous. That three minute 5-3 we killed the other night was just beautiful. The PP can be better, but it's not terrible like it was last year at this time. You're spot on about Letang too. He's scary good, and he's got no where to go but up. I haven't had the luxury to delve into the Baby Pens and check out our prospect at defense, but I really think Gogo can be another Letang. He's got a high motor, and he's still really young. If we can get a top six guy for him, and bring up another stud prospect on our blue line, though...I can't argue against that.

24/7 has been so fucking awesome so far. Speaking of the f-bomb being thrown around. Did anyone see that youtube video from Pensblog with Bruce Bourdreau and Christian Bale? It's fucking hilarious! I'll put it on the bottom:

Go Pens!

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2010 at 14:18 »

The power play jumped from 29th in the league to 14th or so since the horrendous start. Alot of the has to do with getting Mr. Duff off the top unit and replacing him with Kunitz who has actually done a pretty good job in front of the net. Letang has gotten alot more comfortable at the point and with the talent the roll out there every night I can see it improving into the top 8 or so, maybe higher.

The scary thing about the PK is as good as it has been, our best defensive forward has not played one shift yet this season. Think about that for a second.

Regarding Gogo, I have zero problem keeping him around as I think he has alot of offensive talent and upside and has really improved defensively since he came into the league. My point is they are going to be flooded with defensive talent in a year or two, and with orpik, Letang, Martin, and Z under contract for the next 3 or 4 years, someone is going to have to go. Guys like Gogo (young, cheap puck mover, can QB a PP) have a TON of value in todays NHL, and if you can get a young top 6 guy who is under contract cheap for a few years I think you have to pull the trigger. Not talking a rent-a-vet or Poni-type, either.
whitmer_87

« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2010 at 14:33 »

I can't wait until Staal's return. He's probably my favorite player to watch. Kills penalties, always goes hard, shuts down elite forwards. Just an overall badass.

Speaking of Mr. Duff. I know he was playing rather poorly and then he suffered an injury, but I haven't heard anything about him sense. I'm assuming he's playing for the Baby Pens? Or did we waive him? To my knowledge, he's not on our injury report anymore. Not that it really matters, just curious.

Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2010 at 14:49 »

Speaking of Mr. Duff. I know he was playing rather poorly and then he suffered an injury, but I haven't heard anything about him sense. I'm assuming he's playing for the Baby Pens? Or did we waive him? To my knowledge, he's not on our injury report anymore. Not that it really matters, just curious.

I think they put him on IR with a hip injury and I think he's going to have surgery. I doubt we see him in a Pens sweater again. Good thing his wife is loaded and his family is worth eleventy-billion dollars.

I was all for the signing when it happened but he really didn't show much after the preaseason and the first few games. Worth a shot at the price they got him though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: