Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 02, 2014 at 23:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lets go Lets go  (Read 961 times)
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jan 02, 2011 at 20:53 »

AFC North champs.

Gotta love the sound of that.

This time last season we were licking wounds and conjuring dreams of what might have been. Kicking ourselves, so to speak (that's really a strange cliche and a stranger method for positive reinforcement....I've kicked a lot of shit when I get mad but never myself. I bet if you were mad at something and kicked yourself you would then be mad at yourself for doing it. No point).

Speaking of no points that was what we almost pulled off last year in Cleveland. 13-6 loss. 8 sacks. No adjustments. Never looked so inept. Season lost.

Cincinnati would sweep the division 6-0. Baltimore was a few weeks away from beating the shit out of the Patriots in Foxboro.

Ben was suspended half a year for being the older creepy dude in a college gang crowd. Granted he did nothing illegal (apparently bought people U21 drinks, inside a secured bar, who had been drinking all damn night) but everyone knows that guy. Some people pull them aside and tell them to clean up their act. Some people get made an exemplary punching bag for the Commissioner to try and look tough by throwing the book at a white guy and suspended for six games. Then Willie Colon is struck down. Max Starks a few games after. Flozell Adams comes off of the street, and in the most under-acknowledged arc of the season gets ripped to shreds by jerkoff camp reporters who think he looks bad in some drills, only to play at a Pro Bowl worthy warrior class season. No retractions, credit-due mea culpas from the dickhead media guys for being totally wrong.

Jeff Reed kicking like a dickhead. Like a spy. The mole, etc. Trashes the Rooneys, the fans, the turf. Gone. Enjoy your weekend, Niners. Something tells me Skippy Reed was getting off to Pierre McGuire complaining abooooot the Hienz Field ice surface in the Winter Classic and being so stoned confused and lonely that he felt a bit vindicated. Jackass. The Steelers are off this weekend too. No thanks to you.

Shaun Suisham. Class act is all I can say. Good numbers. Been passed over a ton. Some due to poor judgment in front offices, more recently because he preferred to provide presence in a tough family situation. Dude shows up and nails every kick. Bad kickoff vs the Jets, Wide right against Carolina once notwithstanding the guy has been perfect. Career long in the cold against Buffalo IIRC. Punting like a stud at Baltimore that night. Great show. Very glad to have him. (I know this sounds terrible and I do realize I just said Ben needed to clean up his active party actor act but I had one of my crazier old man party acts that night before the Oakland game at home. Had to get a ride to the stadium from a fringe friend and meet my brother at the ticket gate at like 12:40. Still semi-Four Loko'd. The row immediately behind me was 5 Raiders fans and the one douche kept calling Suisham "Cowboys trash". It was still quite warm that day. I was cranky as I had no sleep and had heard enough. Stood up and lashed out at this Cowboys trash slur by pointing out the Raiders roster is full of dudes other teams had for one circumstance or another deemed extraneous in previous campaigns. Either that or I kept calling Campbell Redskin trash. Seymour Patriots trash before he was tossed out. They didnt have much to cheer about all game. Everyone was losing it towards the refs that game. Suisham was money everytime though after me talking him up. Probably a cooler thing about my first year being in those seats was I became the Suisham guy. Everybody pulled for him obviously but it added something when he came through, and we only have Jeff Reed and those other dickheads to blame. Fan fave.

The constant fining of the defense was horseshit and borderline comical. Our gang of agressive hitters was definitely profiled at times. I won't get into how badly the NFL has screwed this one up. It is way down on my list of complaints about Patriot ass-kicker Goddell but that is for another time. Still sucks. Seriously why do we even know Ray Anderson's name? Great he's some fine-czar but can he just shut up and do his job quietly? He's doing radio appearances and issuing statements about how proud he is of the Steelers for not hitting so hard in the game after that Cleveland fiasco? What nonsense. Still our defense prevails. Overcomes injuries to Troy, Aaron Smith and McFadden to become the best run defense in Steelers great defensive history.

This story was not the same this year. The Browns were the team with no answers. Steelers fans had taken over the stadium, Browns fans were bumbling out in the 3rd quarter (none was so brave as to come onto the field this time. Still no retroactive fine for that hit) and mumbling about a coaching change. The Steelers were styling their way to a great chance at a Championship.

Everythings back to normal. Lets get it.

In the words of one W.L. Cowher "buttt we're nottt done yettt"

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 11:21 »

Fine work joce.

I bet if you were mad at something and kicked yourself you would then be mad at yourself for doing it.

You'd prolly be kicking yourself for doing it.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 11:23 »

Fine work joce.

I bet if you were mad at something and kicked yourself you would then be mad at yourself for doing it.

I liked the part where he had something to say and he said it.  Like penso said, good stuff Y11J.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2011 at 07:55 »

It's been a great year, and I've enjoyed it, no matter what happens in the playoffs. I don't think any team has had as impressive a year as we've had, given all the injuries, suspensions, and our silly trade of an elite receiver. A lot of our Steelers have performed past my expectations, and I'm impressed with their effort.

But unfortunately the NFL has legislated that the Patriots offensive system must remain unstoppable. After all, you can't hit the QB but now -- new this year! --  you can't even hit receivers coming across the middle either. Even if they have the ball. Don't hit them too hard.

Once upon a time in the NFL, teams protected their darling passers and receivers with something called strategy. You didn't line up in 5-wide shotgun formation off the bat (like the Pats do) in the 1970s.

So, basically, anyone playing against the Patriots is screwed. The only answer for their offense of 5-yard crossing patterns (with illegal picks left and right) is to intimidate either the QB or the receivers moving through the middle.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Patriots started putting up 35 points a game just about right after the week of fines.
VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2011 at 08:21 »

Did anyone else hear about this?

League reduces fines for three helmet-to-helmet hits

Three players whose flagrant hits led to the NFL's midseason revision in enforcing helmet-to-helmet hits on defenseless receivers are getting a little relief.

The NFL confirmed a New York Times report Thursday that fines for Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson, New England Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather and Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison have been reduced, following an appeals process.

Robinson's fine for a hit on Philadelphia's DeSean Jackson was trimmed from $50,000 to $25,000.

Meriweather's penalty for a hit on Baltimore's Todd Heap was reduced from $50,000 to $40,000.

Harrison's fine for a hit on Cleveland's Mohamed Massaquoi was reduced from $75,000 to $50,000.

All three incidents occurred in games on Oct. 17.

According to an NFL statement, NFL appeals officer Ted Cottrell reduced the fines of Robinson and Meriweather, then took the additional step of reviewing Harrison's case.

"Cottrell consulted with Commissioner (Roger) Goodell about reducing Harrison's fine...and the commissioner fully supported the decision," the NFL said in a statement. "Cottrell said he reduced the fines because the players said they understood the rules and have made efforts to adjust their techniques to play within the rules that protect player safety."

Have I mentioned my intense dislike of Commissioner GODell?

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2011 at 09:53 »

Fine work joce.

I liked the part where he had something to say and he said it. 

He's a straight shooter who pulls no punches from the hip.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2011 at 10:06 »

Fine work joce.

On one hand I agree with you but by the same token I think you're wrong.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2011 at 10:16 »

Fine work joce.

That's typical.  Always trying to eat your cake and half it in two.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2011 at 10:25 »

Fine work joce.

Joce told me last week that a half cake in hand is better than a ham in a bush.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2011 at 10:49 »

Fine work joce.

Joce told me last week that a half cake in hand is better than a ham in a bush.

That ain't nothin' that don't need to be said, son.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: