Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 27, 2014 at 06:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Divisional Round: Sat, Jan 15 @ 4:30 ET feat. BAL @ PIT  (Read 7523 times)
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #110 on: Jan 16, 2011 at 14:39 »

leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #111 on: Jan 16, 2011 at 16:53 »

Oh. My. God. You Guys.
That was unbelievable.  My first playoff game at Heinz.  Epic tailgate to start. Saw the BEST beer pong table EVER and will have to make a copy.
Worst seats I've had at Heinz, but still good.  The stadium was literally rockin'.
When they played Renegade at the start of Balty's first offensive series in the 2nd half, it was all highlights against the Ravens, and mostly of Flacco hitting the turf.  They were facing the scoreboard, and he was never the same after that.

I really need to move to Pittsburgh so I can go to more games....

I'm still the one with the boobs.
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #112 on: Jan 16, 2011 at 19:14 »

Oh. My. God. You Guys.
That was unbelievable.  My first playoff game at Heinz.  Epic tailgate to start. Saw the BEST beer pong table EVER and will have to make a copy.
Worst seats I've had at Heinz, but still good.  The stadium was literally rockin'.
When they played Renegade at the start of Balty's first offensive series in the 2nd half, it was all highlights against the Ravens, and mostly of Flacco hitting the turf.  They were facing the scoreboard, and he was never the same after that.

I really need to move to Pittsburgh so I can go to more games....

That game was amazing.  Much better than the Championship game in '09, which was so cold that the crowd couldn't really get into it.

Amazing time, here's to next weekend being as good as the last.

leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #113 on: Jan 17, 2011 at 21:11 »

Here's a link to the Renegade video: 
Renegade 2011 Steelers vs Ratbirds Divisional Game

If I knew how to embed, I would.  Someone needs to coach me up.

It was awesome. Flacco was never the same.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #114 on: Jan 17, 2011 at 21:29 »

LC - that is awesome!!!!!

After the TV commercial break, Dierdorf made a comment that they just played Steeler Defense highlights for a coupla minutes and the Heinz Field was rockin.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #115 on: Jan 18, 2011 at 09:24 »

WHERE IS THE AFCC THREAD?!?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #116 on: Jan 18, 2011 at 10:40 »

So, how YOU doin'??

EDIT:  3rd and 19.  THIRD AND MOTHERFUCKING NINETEEN!!!

Personally, I was calling for a QB sweep.
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2011 at 11:00 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #117 on: Jan 19, 2011 at 23:46 »

LC - that is awesome!!!!!

After the TV commercial break, Dierdorf made a comment that they just played Steeler Defense highlights for a coupla minutes and the Heinz Field was rockin.

I swear to God, I was almost in tears.  Then Ryan makes that INT?  Are you freakin' kiddin' me!!!!
Spiritual.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #118 on: Jan 20, 2011 at 09:29 »

Some thoughts from the end of that game. 

2:13 left, score tied 24-24, Steelers at their own 38.  First down, Ben was sacked for loss of 9, and suddenly it looks like the offense might stall, meaning we punt the ball and hope for overtime.  Second down, 2nd and 19, it's telling what Bruce Arians does.

Game on the line, pressure cooker, time for your best strategy.  Can't run and hope to get 19 against this D.  It's all on Ben.  Do you go to one of your go-to guys, Ward or Heath?  Do you find your deep threat, the leading yardage receiver for the team, Wallace?

No.  Bruce shows his, and Tomlin's, growing faith in the rookie wideouts.  Ben throws a dart to Sanders, who would have gotten a first down with his YAC momentum, had not Josh Wilson and Ed Reed collided and forced the incompletion.  Ball pops up... an eon where no Steeler fan could breathe!.. and hits the turf, well away from any defender. 

Third down, 19, THE critical conversion.  Win the game, or turn the keys over to the Ravens to win it, or pray for OT.  Surely here you go to Ward, or Heath?  Nope.  This time, it's the other rookie, Brown, in the heads-up play of the season. 

I noticed this shift to the rookies late in the season, and if you watched Tomlin's presser (Tuesday, IIRC) someone asked him about it.  He said he had hoped they could work their way into the action, but his exact phrasing was very understated.  Translation of coach-speak?  Tomlin is thrilled.  These guys are legit weapons clicking at the right time.  Suddenly the offense has matchup advantages on secondary depth guys.  After all, Sanders and Brown (who seem virtually interchangeable) are our fourth and fifth best receivers after Ward, Miller, and Wallace. 

Even if Rex is activating 11 DBs, they are going to have trouble matching quality at the WR4 and WR5 spots, even assuming we have to pull one of the top 5 in a 4-wide set.  Just the fact that Sanders or Brown can adequately spell Ward or Wallace means a top-level starter has to adjust for new tendencies, has to adjust for fresher legs, has to consider which set of routes the new guy might assume, since they can take flanker, SE or slot.

Another point, this one from the Wednesday presser, which had Tomlin baste ESPN's Holtzmann with the response to what adjustments he'd need to make for the Jets ("Depends on what plays you give them"; motherfucker is cold as ice).  If there is some trick play, I wonder if we might have spotted it after the Brown reception.  Legursky checks in as tackle-eligible; Dierdorf or whoever the fuck says something about how they throw the ball to Legursky in practice but never in games.  Legursky blocks as fullback but the run is blown up, loss of one.  (Good move to chew clock and run it from very short three times, until Mendy gets in.  This was from the 1, and then the 2, and the 2 again.  The previous series, BA tries to catch the BRD napping with a quick pass to Ward that was off the mark.  Some folks may say that was too cutesy, but it was actually a very good down and distance strategy -- Ward was open, the defenders were indeed napping, but Ben didn't like putting the ball anywhere that a defender could break on it for a pick 6, so I think on rewatching he put it out of reach on purpose.  Had Ward run a little deeper or a little farther out, that might have been 6.  After that, defensive holding brings it to the one, then run, run, run for 6.)

I'll guess that Legursky as tackle-eligible will be the surprise play this weekend against the Jets, or if they decide to hold it and we win anyway, against the NFC champ.  He lines up as FB, Ben fakes the handoff, Legursky rolls out and no one's on him, 6.

One last thing.  I've said Suggs had a hell of a game, and as much as I hate the Rats, much as I hate his mugging, as annoying as hell as the guy is, his comments about the Patriots and the Steelers have been money.  He had the good form to come over to Ben and congratulate him after the first victory kneel, and he was the first guy across the field to shake Tomlin's hand when it went final.  He may be a Raven, but, um, whatever.  Credit where due.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #119 on: Jan 20, 2011 at 09:39 »

Just want to point out that it seems that Ben has been deadly on 2nd and really long and 3rd and really long this year. Don't know where we can find stats on that, but it's my perception.

And that he tries to convert those downs, as in, he's looking to throw it past the sticks. Every other QB in football on 2nd-and-18 is looking for a good checkdown opportunity, but Ben puts the pressure on the D.

Granted, this approach doesn't produce consistent, clock-killing drives, but it's a big reason we led the league in big plays (20 yards+).
Pages: 1 ... 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: