Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 23, 2014 at 13:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 [13]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Divisional Round: Sat, Jan 15 @ 4:30 ET feat. BAL @ PIT  (Read 7216 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #120 on: Jan 20, 2011 at 10:35 »

The previous series, BA tries to catch the BRD napping with a quick pass to Ward that was off the mark.  Some folks may say that was too cutesy, but it was actually a very good down and distance strategy -- Ward was open, the defenders were indeed napping, but Ben didn't like putting the ball anywhere that a defender could break on it for a pick 6, so I think on rewatching he put it out of reach on purpose.  Had Ward run a little deeper or a little farther out, that might have been 6.  After that, defensive holding brings it to the one, then run, run, run for 6.)

Yeah, I caught the replay on the NFLN last night and was curious about that play.  Pretty sure it was Dierdorf who said Arians was getting cute, but at the time I slowly nodded my approval of the playcall.  Figure the defense was totally keying on the run...knowing that ideally, the Steelers didn't want to score quick.  They wanted to chew clock, score and leave the least amount of time on the board as possible.

When I saw the throw the first time, I kinda put it on Ben that he rushed things with a (perceived) open Ward.  UFR, Landry (?) was lurking and any ball that was slightly underthrown or that didn't have enough air under it, was primed for a 100 yard, pick 6.  #7 noticed that (I'd like to think) and basically threw it away.

Jets fans have been all over the Steelers/Ravens game claiming that Pittsburgh was getting dominated in the first half and was fortunate due to some miscues and turnovers to get back into it in the second half.  Uh, WTMF what?  Pittsburgh practically motherfucking giftwraps 14 points on the Roethlisberger fumble that everyone with a black jersey decided to ignore and the Mendenhall fumble inside their own 20.  But yeah, let's ignore those two gaffes and pretend they were getting "dominated."  Less than 100 yards total offense and one single sustained drive that was significantly aided by a PI call.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #121 on: Jan 20, 2011 at 10:46 »

Yeah, figure if we can gift 14 to the BRO, and still come back and win by 7 against the BRD, what happens when we don't decide to spot points?

BR fumble was horrible.  Held it way too long, pumped it once too many, had to know Suggs was coming, ignored the clock in his head and the fact that he was deep in PS territory.  Gah.  But that throw to Ward was, as you say, smart QBing by a guy who's been on the losing end of some of those pick-6 for a 100.  No matter.  Got 'er done.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #122 on: Jan 20, 2011 at 16:43 »

Just want to point out that it seems that Ben has been deadly on 2nd and really long and 3rd and really long this year. Don't know where we can find stats on that, but it's my perception.

And that he tries to convert those downs, as in, he's looking to throw it past the sticks. Every other QB in football on 2nd-and-18 is looking for a good checkdown opportunity, but Ben puts the pressure on the D.

Granted, this approach doesn't produce consistent, clock-killing drives, but it's a big reason we led the league in big plays (20 yards+).

Funny, I was just thinking about this in the car on the way home.  Ben's biggest flaw is also a big asset at times.  He holds the ball, willing to wait until the recievers are open downfield instead of taking the checkdowns (if we have them).   I honestly don't think he cares all that much if he's sacked on 2nd and 10, because on 3rd and 15 he will do the exact same thing, and usually if he gets time he'll find a reciever for the backbreaking conversion.

His style won't change at this point, and obviously there are more than enough positives in his game to make up for it.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #123 on: Jan 20, 2011 at 17:39 »

Just want to point out that it seems that Ben has been deadly on 2nd and really long and 3rd and really long this year. Don't know where we can find stats on that, but it's my perception.

And that he tries to convert those downs, as in, he's looking to throw it past the sticks. Every other QB in football on 2nd-and-18 is looking for a good checkdown opportunity, but Ben puts the pressure on the D.

Granted, this approach doesn't produce consistent, clock-killing drives, but it's a big reason we led the league in big plays (20 yards+).

Funny, I was just thinking about this in the car on the way home.  Ben's biggest flaw is also a big asset at times.  He holds the ball, willing to wait until the recievers are open downfield instead of taking the checkdowns (if we have them).   I honestly don't think he cares all that much if he's sacked on 2nd and 10, because on 3rd and 15 he will do the exact same thing, and usually if he gets time he'll find a reciever for the backbreaking conversion.

His style won't change at this point, and obviously there are more than enough positives in his game to make up for it.

That's a cocky fucking attitude that Ben can actually back up.  Interesting.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 ... 12 [13]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: