Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 28, 2014 at 21:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cake @ The Palladium in Dallas 12/30  (Read 347 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Jan 04, 2011 at 11:32 »

Fun show.  Been a big fan of these guys ever since I heard the The Distance.  Apparently they have a new album coming out soon.  Anyways, for as much as I dig Cake (have all their albums, blah blah blah), I never knew much about them at all, just never really thought about it.  So, I was surprised when they took the stage as my mind's image didn't fit with reality.  For whatever reason my brain was expecting dudes in slick-looking, trendy suits or something but I was sooo wrong.  The singer (McCrea) had on a hoodie and ball cap.  They were all pretty casual except for the guitarist who did wear a suit and tie.

Anyways, they played for damn near two hours and mixed a few new songs in with a nice variety of older material.  McCrea mentioned that they never use a set list, sometimes he'd ask somebody in the band what they wanted to play next.  He loved talking to the crowd and liked to play "crowd participation" and generally made sure we all had a fun time.

Recommended.

As for the venue, the Palladium is a place that I'd have appreciated much more about 20 yrs ago.  General admission, SRO except for a very few tables.  The place probably packed in about 1500 by my WAG, so it was more intimate (and closer) than even the smallish Verizon Theater that I frequented late last year.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2011 at 11:35 by jonzr » Logged

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2011 at 11:42 »

Ain't the interwebz wunderful? 

Setlist:  http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/cake/2010/palladium-ballroom-dallas-tx-53d2f7c9.html

I thought War Pigs was much later in the show.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2011 at 11:54 »

And teh Palladium is only 800 capacity!  Yeah, I was one of the counters for the Glen Beck Rally.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: