Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 22, 2014 at 10:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DirecTV  (Read 399 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jan 13, 2011 at 14:54 »

DirecTV has been skating on thin ice for me personally, as noted before.  Very close to chucking it and moving to FIOS for the whole Interwebby and TV and land line deal.

The latest?

The wife can't get the DVR/receiver to power up yesterday.  So I check the power cables, nothing wrong there.  You get close to the machine, it's making this sick croaking noise like a dying frog, or an asthmatic in a smokehouse.  Fucking box is not even 2 years old.  So this is twice now we've lost a ton of recorded stuff.

OK, fine, whatever, you pricks.

But the REAL problem is the Steelers game, of course.

If a replacement ain't airlifted in to me by Saturday, can't record, can't pause, can't view from the comfort of furniture that knows the imprint of my ass.  Could watch from the bedroom, or go to a friend's. 

But I tell ya, the timing is exquisite.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2011 at 15:00 »

If you end up going FIOS, don't bother with the land line option.  You can keep your # and get an internet phone (VOIP) deal for around 8 bucks a month with a ton of options.  I think mine was $96 for the year.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2011 at 15:15 »

If you end up going FIOS, don't bother with the land line option.  You can keep your # and get an internet phone (VOIP) deal for around 8 bucks a month with a ton of options.  I think mine was $96 for the year.

Good call.  Will consider that if/when.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2011 at 11:03 »

I needed a re-alignment on my dish so they sent someout for no charge.  Told the kid one sat box (bedroom) was acting up, but it was working when he was there.  Called the tech back and he came out a couple of days later,on his own time to bring me a new box.  He swapped out the boxes and programmed both remotes to all of my components ( I keep the remotes all separate so the wife and kids don't know they all work and therefore can't jack it up)

The hew box has almost 3x as much recording time as my current one in family room, so I had him move the family room DVR to the bedroom and put the new one in family room.  I made a comment that I have a few concerts and stuff I'm disappointed I can't watch in the family room.  They have a "whole home" system where you can watch anything on any DVR from any room.  $199 plus $50 for installation.  I have a SD (standard def) receiver in another room that would have to be upgraded so I'm working them over for some additional discounts. 

Seems like a lot of folks are consistently dissatisfied with their cable or Sat provider.  I have fought my battles with DTV screwing me over at times, which I usually win, but all in all I love DTV.  I do have to play CSR sometimes (customer Service Roulette - cal back a coupla times til you get someone willing to do what you want) but have always had good service guys come out.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2011 at 11:31 »

That sucks, Fin.  I've lost recordings on several occasions with their hardware.  A few years ago, I lost almost two seasons of...ah, Lost.  Don't think I ever saw most of the final season or finale because of it.  Not coincidentally (IMO), most of those technical issues have occurred since they made the move to leasing the receivers from subscriber owned units.  I never had problems with my older boxes that I bought at Circuit City or wherever.  Then again, there's more to the newer ones with the hard drives and such so it's not surprising they behave like a PC.  When is someone going to make a product that allows you to backup those saved programs to an external hard drive of some sort?  Maybe they already make it and I'm just not aware of it.

Anyway, if you and the missus are willing to make the 4 hour drive northeast, you're more than welcome.  I'm being totally cereal here.  House is still a little upside down and several things still aren't finished, but the 52 incher (giggity) in the Great Room works perfectly (*knocks wood*) and there's plenty of room.  Home theatre isn't setup yet tho.  Might try to take care of it in the AM depending on how things go.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2011 at 14:09 »

Apparently there is a DVR sitting on my doorstep.

Gameday is saved, if not my recorded stuff.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: