Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 16, 2014 at 14:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Random notes, mostly NFL  (Read 1359 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jan 14, 2011 at 10:57 »

I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but often I have a knot in my gut worrying about games, even regular season games, that settles in about mid-week.  For some reason, I feel as though nothing would surprise me about the Ravens game:  OL lets Suggs wreak havoc, Ben's face takes a beating, Arians calls pointless plays, Troy does his weekly miracle, Flacco gets a couple of long passes past our secondary, at the two minute warning the game is still hotly contested...  Any or all might happen.  But I still say the Steelers do something to make this more like a 10-point win.

I'm sick of hearing that this cannot be anything but a very close win for one of these teams.  Really?  So we should expect every game between the Steelers and Ravens to be a 3-point win until the sun becomes a red giant and swallows the Earth. 

Pat Shurmur really revamped that Rams offense.  Whoooo boy.  Watch out now.  Rest of the AFCN should be running scared.  Or at least the AFCN teams playing this weekend, which would be the two AFCN teams of any fucking consequence.

I'm glad that douche Florio picked against us.  Seems like we're getting a lot of love from the media types, which is sort of off-putting.

Don Banks at SI makes Joe Flacco sound like the greatest thing since cats started shitting in litter boxes.  He's also picking the Ravens.  I like how Banks seems to think that if the Ravens use Heap and Rice a lot, we somehow wouldn't expect that or be able to defend it.  I'm sure Dick LeBeau never even considered it, huh?  How the fuck do these guys get paid for coming up with stupid shit like this?

This year's draft is a really shitty year if you need a QB.  Cam Newton had a great year, but he's not ready, and I can see a Vince Young kind of career path (great talent, no maturity, no development).  Ryan Mallett is big and has a strong arm, but he has a loooong delivery (think BFL) and he's a total shithead, any team with due diligence shouldn't touch him.  Jake Locker had an unconvincing senior season, to say the least, so he's a gamble.  Blaine Gabbert is getting a lot of talk as a top pick, but it's seemingly out of nowhere.  I mean, who was touting Gabbert as a top QB a month ago?  And now some team is supposed to take him in R1?  He had two decent seasons, only one of which had a completion rate over 60%, and nothing about his stats or his game seems that worthy of a high pick.  Pat Devlin will get some talk as the new Flacco.  Flacco Lite, maybe. 

Lawrence Taylor may not be a brain surgeon... but he stayed in a Holiday Inn!

How long until Deanna Favre files for divorce?  I'm saying it hits the press in under a year.

Speaking of Favre, his sister was busted in some meth raid.  She was previously arrested for felony shoplifting.  WTF is felony shoplifting? 

The new Keith Richards book is pretty good.  It's my shitter reading, so I'm only on p. 110, because I have a high-fiber diet and usually don't sit for long.  Anyway, there was a paragraph I had to read out loud to the missus about when Keef and Mick and Brian Jones were living together in this flat with some guy named James Phelge.  Keith starts talking about their various names for mucus, and it had me wiping the tears out of my eyes.  Green Gilbert, Scarlet Jenkins, Yellow Humphrey, and especially the Gabardine Helmsman.  Funny, funny shit. 

BTW, back on the Ravens game?  Their defense seems pretty soft in the fourth quarter this year, sort of like the PSD last year.  They're on the road on a short week.  Bet that defense fades late?  27-17 Steelers still sound crazy?

If the Steelers would somehow outfox the Patriots (assuming they win this weekend), the NFC teams I'd like to play, not in order of beatability, but in order of what would be interesting to me:  Green Bay, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle.  Although, wouldn't it be great for the Seahawks to make the SB as the ultimate long shot, just a delightful heartwarming tale of the scrappers from the Northwest, everyone loves 'em, and then we get there and beat them 63-0.  Think the refs gave us the last one, do you?  Eat dog dirt, you scum.

John Fox seems like a decent coach -- not great, but a fundamentals sort of guy, strong D, good running game -- and maybe he can turn that mess in Denver around.  But how the hell did Carolina become THAT bad?

DirecTV told us that we would "probably" have a new DVR/receiver to replace the suddenly dead one in our living room.  Said we'd get a tracking email.  Tomorrow's the game, asshats.  No email.  No tracking info.  I'm assuming you're full of shit.  Called yesterday, and they didn't really have a clue.  I should pack a dead squirrel in with the dead DVR that I return to them.

Pitt football has had 3 head coaches in one month.  The Steelers have had 3 head coaches since 1969. 

I found the college season rather boring this year.  Everyone but me was in love with this Auburn-Oregon matchup. 

Rob Ryan is reportedly interviewing as DC for the Cowboys.  He seems to have been a gambler.  Will he turn that D around, if hired?

2010, and Russ Grimm is still not a head coach.

Over/under on Ron Rivera and Pat Shurmur's tenures?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2011 at 11:19 »

Tell DTV you have an alignment issue and you need a new sat box.  You can prolly get someone out there tomorrow a.m. to hand deliver your hardware b4 the game!!!

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2011 at 11:28 »

Yeah I usually get that gut feeling before games. In 2004, I had a sick feeling in my stomach all week, and I fucking knew we'd lose to NE at home even after curbstomping them in the regular season.

In 2005, even after Indy trambled us in the regular season, I had that gut feeling that we were going to beat them. I have the same feeling about saturday, but I've been oh so wrong before. We'll see I guess.

Regarding Favre's sis, if my brother was that big of an attention whore I'd probably develop a meth addiction too. Imagine the reality of being related to that douche. Drugs please.

O/U - Rivera and Shumur - I actually see Rivera sticking around for over 4 years in a mediocre Jack Del Rio sort of way. Shurmur gets canned after 2 4-12 seasons, taking the walrus with him.

O/U on personal fouls in the game Sunday? My fear is Goodouche tries to make this game an example, and puts an earpiece in every zebra.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2011 at 13:23 »

WTF is felony shoplifting?

She was caught shoplifting the meth, OBV.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2011 at 13:36 »

WTF is felony shoplifting?

She was caught shoplifting the meth, OBV.

Yeah, you need a subscription for that stuff.  Drugs ain't free, kid.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2011 at 13:43 »

The new Keith Richards book is pretty good.  It's my shitter reading, so I'm only on p. 110, because I have a high-fiber diet and usually don't sit for long.  Anyway, there was a paragraph I had to read out loud to the missus ...

You, my friend, have been married TOOO LONG if you're reading aloud to the missus while you're taking a dump!  I've got 30 years invested in my marriage, and that sorta thing is even outta my league.  Please pass along my condolences to Mrs. Finny.

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2011 at 13:46 »

You, my friend, have been married TOOO LONG if you're reading aloud to the missus while you're taking a dump!  I've got 30 years invested in my marriage, and that sorta thing is even outta my league.  Please pass along my condolences to Mrs. Finny.

I think they're German.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2011 at 14:07 »

The new Keith Richards book is pretty good.  It's my shitter reading, so I'm only on p. 110, because I have a high-fiber diet and usually don't sit for long.  Anyway, there was a paragraph I had to read out loud to the missus ...

Dude, I didn't read to her WHILE I WAS ON THE CRAPPER.

Although, I'm not saying it would never happen.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2011 at 14:34 »

2 Finnys, 1 Book

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2011 at 15:01 »

I think they're German.

+1

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: