Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 23, 2014 at 02:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Bowl XLV, Feb. 6, 2011  (Read 7956 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #90 on: Feb 08, 2011 at 12:07 »

For all the issues we have, and with Pouncey being out, the O-Line did not look horrible.  Ben often had alot of time in the pocket.  Have to wonder if that was not a part of GB's plan......keep him in the pocket rather than allowing him to scramble and make things happen.

Ben was off / inaccurate.

I think the O-Line played well. That's a good point that GB effectively kept Ben pinned in the pocket. I also wonder if Ben's ankle/knee problem affected both his ability and his accuracy. His throwing motion looked a little jerky to me.

I agree with this.  For most of the night, it seemed like the GB defense approached this one like they were playing a Michael Vick.  Pressure, but contain...and spy.  They weren't just pinning their ears back and coming after him.

Really, I think it's kind of the opposite approach we've seen from a lot of their AFC foes like the Ravens or Jets.

Dunno...maybe I'm wrong.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #91 on: Feb 08, 2011 at 12:36 »

First OT game?

I have to say, after GB kicked the FG to go up 6, one of the things that went through my head was Steelers drive the field and Ben makes the clutch TD pass as time expires to tie it.  Sweezy trots on for the matter-of-fact XP with 0:00 left and duck hooks it again for OT.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #92 on: Feb 08, 2011 at 19:49 »

Dunno if I agree with that.  The guy looked razor sharp considering it was his First Dance.  I recall two passes that were "off."  'Prolly woulda thrown for close to 400 if his WRs didn't lose sight of the ball in all the flashbulbs.

For a little while in the 3rd Qtr, Rodgers looked a little shaky.  Other than that, he was spot-on.  Steelers hit him 18 times and he was still throwing bullets.  The few times when we actually had good coverage he put it right on the money.  TD to Jennings went just beyond Clark's hands, and Gay actually had decent position on the score to Nelson. 

One thing I will say for the DBs:  On several of the drops, they got a hand in the way just enough to possibly obstruct the view of the WR.  Didn't come close to hitting the ball, but maybe provided just enough of an obstruction to break concentration.  Still doesn't justify the overall piss-poor play of the secondary; and the piss-poor play of the secondary is best explained by a stud group of WRs and a stud QB. 

Rodgers is one of the few guys in the league that I would trade Big Ben to get.  Dude can flat-out play, and he's got all the tools he needs to have a very bright future.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #93 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 16:32 »

Jordy Nelson, and someone else, don't remember who it was, are unknowingly thankful they dropped a couple of those.  Clark was upfield on two of the drops, coming back to the ball 3 or 4 yards away from the receiver.  One particular ball that Nelson dropped, Clark was going to blow him up in a big way.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #94 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 17:27 »

Rodgers was good, not incredible, although he had a bunch of drops.

Dunno if I agree with that.  The guy looked razor sharp considering it was his First Dance.  I recall two passes that were "off."  'Prolly woulda thrown for close to 400 if his WRs didn't lose sight of the ball in all the flashbulbs.

Not saying he was bad.  Would even say very good.  No turnovers, good accuracy.  But he did have some misses (excuseable).  He was supposedly incredible at avoiding the rush and killing teams with his feet; he didn't escape the pocket once to my recollection.  If he has no turnovers to work with he isn't nearly as productive.  And, just like the Bears game, he had the chance to make the kill shot and didn't do it.  Left the door open for Ben.  Had Ben been able to pull off what we've seen countless times, the story on Rodgers is very different.
Pages: 1 ... 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: