Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 29, 2014 at 05:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AFC Title Game: NYJ @ PIT 1/22/11 6:30pm ET  (Read 6750 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #30 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 08:25 »

So the Jets come out screaming like bats outta hell but in the end the Steelers are the ones enjoying paradise by the dashboard lights!  I'm with you on that.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 08:47 »

Nicked this from Pedro at Burghsportsguys...

Just rewatched all of the Steelers offensive snaps in the regular season matchup. Charted a few things. Some notes below:

- The Steelers had 3 WRs or more on 52 out of 70 plays (not counting spikes). Their most frequent personnel package was 3WR/1TE/1RB (40 snaps) and that gained only 4.4 ypp out of this group. They went with a 2WR/2TE/1RB set on only 11 plays, which must have been a season low for them. Ypp out of that set: 6.2. They operated out of an empty backfield on 13 snaps for 6.2 ypp. On 7 of of these 13 snaps, they had 5 WR and that package produced even better results: 9.7 ypp.

- As noted, they ran the ball very well. The only play that went for negative yardage was the safety. Prior to rewatching it, I had said I had the impression they ran especially well out of 3 WR sets. They did run a lot of this set (13 out of 22 runs) but for an 4.5 average, which is good but below the 6.0 average they achieved on their other 9 runs. Their big gain was a 21 yarder by Mendenhall out of a 6 OL, 2 TE set (Miller was inactive so they had Essex as an extra tackle for 3 snaps).

- They called 8 runs out of the shotgun, which must have been a season high. The safety went for -3 but the other 7 went for 42, good for a 6 ypc average

- They called 3 play action passes out of fakes to Mendenhall. Ben was 2 for 3 for 39 yards. The one incompletion was a bad throw to a wide open Spaeth on the game's first play.

- Not including spikes, the Steelers called 47 passes (42 PA, 3 sacks, 2 scrambles). Jets pass rush breakdown was:

3 men rush - 12
4 men rush - 18
5 men rush - 15
6 men rush - 1
(Note: fake spike play not included here)

Several of those 3 men rushes came at the end of the game when they had 3 DL, 1 LB and 7 DBs on the field, countering the Steelers empty sets.

- Steelers pass protection was pretty good. For every pass play, I wrote down if I thought the protection was good enough or not. I counted 5 bad plays, 2 against the 4 men rush and 3 against a 5 men rush. 2 of them were Scott and Adams each getting beat; the other 3 were plays in which they failed to recognize the Jets zone blitz. Of course, the Jets had 2 big sacks in the 4th (one of which the Steelers overcame by converting a 3rd and 24).

- The Jets coverage strategy was pretty clear. They had Cromartie follow Wallace wherever he went while Revis covered Ward a lot but not always. I don't know if they did this because Revis was hurt or because they thought Cromartie matched up well with Wallace. IMO he does. And the Steelers have to come up with ways to get him out of the tight bump and run style he wants to play. Bunch sets, for instance.

- Overall, the Steelers did a nice job moving the ball against the Jets but the scoreboard did not reflect it. They had 9 possessions, scoring on 3 of them:

1st drive - ended on a 3rd and 2 when the Steelers threw a short pass to MM for no gain out of a fake end around. Good read by Bart Scott as he hit Moore as the ball arrived.
2nd drive - The Steelers had 3rd and 5 at the Jets 34 when the drive stalled. Ben got greedy. He had Sanders open on a slant for the 1st down but threw the deep ball to Wallace. It could be argued that Cromartie got away with a hold and the drive should've continued but Ben should've made the safe throw to Sanders.
3rd drive - 16 play, 96 yard TD drive. Even though they went spread / no huddle for most of this drive, they were able to keep it somewhat balanced (7 runs, 9 passes). Ben converted 4 3rd downs, including the TD
4th drive - final drive of the 1st half, resulted in a FG
5th drive - 9 play, 74 yard TD drive. Two big plays (23 yard pass to Wallace, 21 yard Mendenhall run) keyed this drive.
6th drive - Flozell hurt them with a personal foul penalty. Drive stalled when Ben had Brown on the hot route and threw incomplete on a 3rd and 3. CBS doesn't show a replay so it's hard to say how well Brown was covered.
7th drive - Drew Coleman's 1st sack ends this drive
8th drive - 1 play drive, the MM safety
9th drive - Steelers moved the ball 82 yards but come up 10 yards short

Field position was a factor. The Steelers started their first 2 drives in pretty good FP (own 36 and own 46) but didn't take advantage (12 plays, 39 yards). After that, their average start was at their own 17, with their best start being at their own 28.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #32 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 09:02 »

As the game gets closer, I'm getting more anxious. Kind of sucks, in a way, because I did not expect a championship run out of this team, so I've been pretty chill all year!

And now they do this to me! Get within a game of XLV with Jonathon Scott at Left Tackle and the Patriots taken care of. Holy shit.

I've been optimistic all week. But today I can't help focusing on the negatives. Our O-Line, obviously. Visions of Anthony Madison getting a lot of cover time. Troy's Achilles. Our performances against good teams the last half of the year. The running game, inconsistent. Our truly awful punting. The Jets O-Line. Their receivers turning scattered passes into great catches. DPI calls moving the Jets downfield. Mendenhall spinning a 1st down gain into a one-yard loss. Harrison getting mugged every play. Giving up a big kick return. Goodell reminding the refs he'd rather have a New York team than Big Ben in Dallas.

AAAAGGGHHHHHHHHH! It's enough to make you crazy.

I've been telling myself it'd be fine if we lost the Super Bowl, as long as we made it and we played well. Of course, if we make it, I'll go through all this again in two weeks. (Unless we play Chicago, because we will destroy that team.)

Whereas at midseason or so, I would have been content with a division championship and a playoff win, now I really, really, really want to see the Steelers get to 3 Super Bowls in 6 years. We couldn't ask for a better opportunity - we play a Jets team with a below-average (for now anyway) QB in our place. We should win this.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 09:09 »

We may end up meeting Flacco, Sanchez & Cutler.

As opposed to Manning, Brady & Rodgers.

At least that's what I'm dreaming of.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 09:17 »

We may end up meeting Flacco, Sanchez & Cutler.

As opposed to Manning, Brady & Rodgers.

At least that's what I'm dreaming of.

That's a good point, although IMO we would have had an easier time with the Clots than the Ratties, but point taken about quality of QBs faced.  Really, that would be the easiest path of the the three this decade.  Sweet.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 09:23 »

That's a good point, although IMO we would have had an easier time with the Clots than the Ratties,

I had no interest in facing Manning, regardless of how depleted the Colts were. I think the Steelers could have beat them, but I prefer Joe Cool.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 23:18 »

We're gonna win. We're gonna win.
-Jimmy Dugan....when he hits that kid in the face

Roethlisberger to Miller. Wiz Khalifa blacknyellow blacknyellowing to start things out. Myron Cope's birthday. Double yoi. FooteFetish50 told me last week the Jets don't have a leg to stand on.

Heinz Field is gonna rock. Wallace is gonna score on a deep one. We turn the tables on NYJ and play the grind it out and defend style.

Tomlin lifts another whatever its called trophy and we go in faves to get number 7 in Texas in a few really really long days of waiting.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #37 on: Jan 22, 2011 at 11:37 »

Peter King reports that Troy didn't practice on Friday. How concerned should I be? Makes it seem he's nowhere near his best right now. We need some big plays from Clark and Timmons tomorrow....
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Jan 22, 2011 at 12:48 »

The loudmouth Jets finally did it -- they've started jawing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=6046723

I knew that they wouldn't be able to shut up for an entire week.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Jan 22, 2011 at 13:35 »

Insert Quote
Peter King reports that Troy didn't practice on Friday. How concerned should I be? Makes it seem he's nowhere near his best right now. We need some big plays from Clark and Timmons tomorrow....

Thought I had heard he had same schedule as last week...no practice Wed and Thurs, practice on Friday.  Could be wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: