Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 20, 2014 at 23:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AFC Title Game: NYJ @ PIT 1/22/11 6:30pm ET  (Read 6490 times)
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #100 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 11:39 »

GB is gonna be a tough matchup.  Not as tough as AZ but better than Seattle.  Have to get Pouncey back.

I'm not sure I could disagree more. GB will be the toughest matchup since 1995 for the Steelers in the SB and it's not even close IMO.

I agree.  The AZ game was surprising to me, I thought the Steelers would slaughter them.  And I had no respect for the Seahags.  But this is one hella tough GB team.  Good ground game, QB, very good defense.  Hey, if I weren't such an optimistic and blind fan, I'd be seriously worried.  The only other #6 seeds to make it to the Super Bowl won it, ya know.

Not to mention that the #6 seed for Green Bay is a bit misleading. They were the #6 seed because of a slew of injuries that kept them from winning games that they would normally have won. They do have wins @Philly x2, Chicago x2 (one home, one away), @NYJETS, @Atlanta, and NYG. They also lost 2 games when Rodgers got hurt (with no time to prepare for the backup while the Steelers knew pretty much all offseason to prepare for Ben to be out), the first one was bad @Det, but the second one, they really gave NE a run for their money in Boston.

Have they been favored by Vegas in every playoff matchup even as a 6 seed? Someone look that up.

The ground game was non-existent for most of the year, but they seem to have found it with Starks. They have a very good defense with a beast in the middle who worries me (especially if Pouncey is out or not 100%) and an incredible offense that matches up very well against our defense. Think Pats with a QB who is tough and can run when necessary. I'm worried, but it is going to be a great Super Bowl between two teams with great franchises and great fan bases.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #101 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 11:57 »

LOL!  I saw that too.  However, in this context, it is not 96%.  Post game showers will never be the same, tho.

*shakes head*

Steelers are going to the Super Bowl.

STEELERS ARE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!

Amazing.

I love it when my lowered expectations get blown out of the fuckin' water.

As to the game, (and I think someone mentioned this on another thread) I felt like I was watching a replay of the Pack/Bears.  What shoulda been blowouts became nailbiters.  

That first half was a thing of beauty.  Kudos to you, Spruce Hairyarms.  You called what might've been your best half of football.  Ever.  Jets were daring them to run and they did just that.  Props to Mendenhall for his monster game.  I'm sure he wanted to atone for that fumble against the Ravens and did he ever.  Ben, while erratic and made several questionable decisions, did what he needed to do to get the job done.  Not only did the Jets come out flat, they looked dogged tired.  The gameplan the Steelers employed in the first really took advantage of that.

However, did they all leave their 60 minute men T-shirts at home?

I fully expected them to sputter a 'lil in the second half, but I didn't expect a shutout.  Half of those guys were playing like they've already boarded the flight to Dallas.  There was simply no excuse for letting it get that close.  Mad props on that goaline stand, tho.  AND, great to see the coaching staff grow a pair and let #7 do what he does so the team could wrap this one up taking a knee.

A few other miscellaneous points:

--Does every goddamned team in the league besides Pittsburgh run that fucking crossing pick play on the goaline?  Be nice to see them add it to the playbook.  Be nice if they could defend it better too cuz I guarantee they'll see it from the Pack in two weeks.

--Stonio is such a clown.  Saddens me to say as I was a big supporter of his when Pittsburgh drafted him.  Considering his alma mater, it took a LOT for me to do so, but I felt he was really talented.  Now, his biggest claim to fame (EDIT: post Steeler career) will be that stupid motherfucking 1st down celebration he pulls...even when his team is down 3 scores.  Context, bro.

--I was pretty impressed with Sanchez.  Never expected him to be able to pull it together in the second half with the beating he took in the first.  For a second year QB, in that big of a spot, it took some stones.  The kid's got heart, I'll give him that.  And, some big assed boogers too.  Just ask Mark Brunell.

--The Jets and Ryan are really classless.  From the pushin', shovin' and jawin' that went on during the final three kneeldowns to Ryan's reaction when BR made that pass for the first to Ryan's halfhearted handshake with Tomlin at midfield to...well, any number of other incidents that highlight their (lack of) character.  That squad is a joke.  Many in the NY area call Ryan a "godsend," but I think his tactics and approach will wear thin very, very quickly.  It's easy to justify it as "Rex bein' Rex" when the team is winning, but give it a .500 season or two and things will unravel quickly.  That loosey, goosey fun and games won't be so cute at that point.  Can't wait for that day to come.

Whatevs, IT'S ON TO XLV!!!
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2011 at 15:20 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #102 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 12:05 »

And, some big assed boogers too.  Just ask Mark Brunell.

Mark Sanchez Picks his nose and wipes it on Mark Brunell AFC championship
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #103 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 12:20 »

most stupidest call i have ever seen to ice the game and it actually worked.  I was motherfucking from the moment i saw an empty backfield on third and 6.  but holy shit, super bowl bound. 

I hated the empty set, because I always hate the empty set considering our offensive line.  However, I didn't have any problem with the shotgun.  With Legs at center, I thought we should have been in the shotgun on the goal line. 

PAP would have been fine, but Ben is just better from the gun, with a chance to see the field and escape the inevitable onslaught of rushers.

The way Mendenhall was getting stuffed in the 2nd half, it would have been an extension of Cowher/Marty ball to run there on 3rd and 6.  I liked the pass play.  Arians could have gone Mike Martz there an called a reverse!!!!!!!!!!!  As much as we all hate the idiot Arians, it could actually be worse.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #104 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 15:41 »

I thought I was watching a Bill Cowher team in the 2nd half; play not to lose.  

I agree, though the decision to throw for the first down on 3rd-and-6 seemed like the difference between Tomlin and Cowher. (To be fair, if my QB was Kordell or Maddox in that situation, I would Cowher it up, too.)

Yeah, I'm being a bit dramatic.  But the "collapse" did send me back to the Cowher days.

I've thought back to the early days of this board (or back to the ESPN board) when it was Kordell and Maddox and that back then, if we got behind, that was it.  Now, having Ben, we always have a shot, no matter the score.

It is really a special time for Steelers fans.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #105 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 19:08 »

GB is gonna be a tough matchup.  Not as tough as AZ but better than Seattle.  Have to get Pouncey back.

I'm not sure I could disagree more. GB will be the toughest matchup since 1995 for the Steelers in the SB and it's not even close IMO.

And you couldn't be more incorrect

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #106 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 19:26 »

GB is gonna be a tough matchup.  Not as tough as AZ but better than Seattle.  Have to get Pouncey back.

I agree.  The AZ game was surprising to me, I thought the Steelers would slaughter them.  And I had no respect for the Seahags.  But this is one hella tough GB team.  Good ground game, QB, very good defense.  Hey, if I weren't such an optimistic and blind fan, I'd be seriously worried.  The only other #6 seeds to make it to the Super Bowl won it, ya know.

Good ground game?  Not in recent history.  They finished in the bottom third of the league in most rushing categories and didn't hit the top half in any major rushing category in 2010.  3.8 YPC, barely over 100 YPG, bottom third in rushing TDs...nothing there to cause concern.

Kurt Warner with Boldin and Fitzgerald was scarier than Rodgers with Jennings and Driver IMO.  Don't get me wrong, both groups are good but I was more concerned about Warner and Co.

GB's D is better...certainly LBs and DL are.  Charles Woodson is really good. 

I dunno...I think GB is more one-dimensional on O than AZ was but agree GB's D is better.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #107 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 19:45 »

GB is gonna be a tough matchup.  Not as tough as AZ but better than Seattle.  Have to get Pouncey back.

I agree.  The AZ game was surprising to me, I thought the Steelers would slaughter them.  And I had no respect for the Seahags.  But this is one hella tough GB team.  Good ground game, QB, very good defense.  Hey, if I weren't such an optimistic and blind fan, I'd be seriously worried.  The only other #6 seeds to make it to the Super Bowl won it, ya know.

Good ground game?  Not in recent history.  They finished in the bottom third of the league in most rushing categories and didn't hit the top half in any major rushing category in 2010.  3.8 YPC, barely over 100 YPG, bottom third in rushing TDs...nothing there to cause concern.

Kurt Warner with Boldin and Fitzgerald was scarier than Rodgers with Jennings and Driver IMO.  Don't get me wrong, both groups are good but I was more concerned about Warner and Co.

I dunno...I think GB is more one-dimensional on O than AZ was but agree GB's D is better.

I think you're right with all that, but the GBD > ACD is what makes the Pack a tougher task, IMO.  ACD was 28th in defense in terms of points allowed; GBD is 2nd.  Ouch.

Neither team was particularly effective rushing, and that shouldn't change here.  That allows LeBeau to whittle down the variables.  Whiz had 3 receivers over 1000 yards (Fitz, Boldin, Breaston), and while GB has 4 very potent receivers, the numbers are certainly not as stellar.  Still, that Packers attack can find lots of targets.  Given the 1-dimensional attack, scoring for them seems feast or famine:  Steelers and GBP both had 4 games scoring less than 15 (Steelers had 2 of those sans Ben, GBP had 1 when Rodgers was concussed).  Steelers had 3 30+ games, 4 including playoffs, and the Packers had 4, 5 including playoffs.  Good defenses can corral them to 20 or under.  Same with the Steelers.  Seems to make AJ's argument for him.  Not to mention early movements of the SB symphonies tend to be as awkward as early dating: all clumsiness, have to wait a while till you can really score.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #108 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 20:12 »

Guess I thought better of 2008/09 AZ's O than I do 2010/11 GB's D.  Fitz, Boldin, Breaston and Bry Johnson with Warner was pretty good.  Pope and Urban did some damage too.

Looking over the 2007 AZ roster, I'd forgotten that Okobi went there.  I remember thinking he might step in after Hartings.  He never did and never would for anyone else.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #109 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 21:20 »

I think you're right with all that, but the GBD > ACD is what makes the Pack a tougher task, IMO.  ACD was 28th in defense in terms of points allowed; GBD is 2nd.  Ouch.

Neither team was particularly effective rushing, and that shouldn't change here.  That allows LeBeau to whittle down the variables.  Whiz had 3 receivers over 1000 yards (Fitz, Boldin, Breaston), and while GB has 4 very potent receivers, the numbers are certainly not as stellar.  Still, that Packers attack can find lots of targets.  Given the 1-dimensional attack, scoring for them seems feast or famine:  Steelers and GBP both had 4 games scoring less than 15 (Steelers had 2 of those sans Ben, GBP had 1 when Rodgers was concussed).  Steelers had 3 30+ games, 4 including playoffs, and the Packers had 4, 5 including playoffs.  Good defenses can corral them to 20 or under.  Same with the Steelers.  Seems to make AJ's argument for him.  Not to mention early movements of the SB symphonies tend to be as awkward as early dating: all clumsiness, have to wait a while till you can really score.

Gotta say, I agree with K-man and Jonzr. 

Not only did 'Zona's defense suck, they had a statue at QB.  Yeah, Warner's HOF and all that, but the '10 version of Rodgers is waaaaaaaay scarier than the '08 version of Warner, regardless of who he's throwing to.  IMO.  If AR is on (like #7), he can single handedly win you a ballgame. 

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 ... 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: