Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 21, 2014 at 09:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DirecTV Upgrade  (Read 728 times)
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« on: Jan 19, 2011 at 09:54 »

After playing CSR roulette, I pulled the trigger on a pretty nice upgrade I posed about in on eof Finny's posts.

I have 2 HD DVR's and a 3rd HD nonDVR Satellite box.  The upgrade allows any one of the TV's to watch content recorded on one of the DVR's.  I can also record on any DVR from an one of the TV's (if in family room, I can record something on the bedroom DVR).  I only have one line going to the sat box in the bedroom.  Can't really fish another line to where the TV is without getting ugly, so currently if something is recording there, can't watch anythin else.  With upgrade, both tuners will be available for watching/recording.  Also, and I'm not sur exactly how this works, but if you have internet at your house (who doesn't these days) somehow DTV uses that connectivity for access to their on demand programmin, which I didn't even know existed.  I think it's mostly movies, rather than TV shows, but this free on demand content, several thousand movies, 5 or 6 thousand I think.

Price Tag.  The last time I called DTV It was $200 for the system, $99 to upgrade my SD box to HD to work with this system, and $75 for installation.  No discounts available,  Total of $375 - that ain't gonna happen.

Most recent call to DTV - $99 for the system, $59 to upgrade the SD sat box and no installation fees.  So the roulette saved me a little over $200 and is now at $160.  BV can live with that.

The biggest benefit is the kids can watch anything recorded in their "play room" instead of using my bedroom and getting a bunch of crombs, yogurt, or whatever else in my bed!!!!!  Can also now record 3 shows and watch something, or record 4 and watch something recorded!!!  LOL  Sunday and Monday nights during football season are DVR overload and there are a lot of tears when young teenagers can't record whatever vampire shows are being televised!!!

Y2 - If this is too confusing, I can send a flow chart.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2011 at 10:01 »

Yeah, we just moved across town, and my wife negotiated a similar install deal.

They now connect the two DVR's with a WiFi connection between each of them and the internets.  So, you can watch any show on either DVR, and you can watch a lot of On Demand type programming as well.

So far we love it. I just wish that the on-screen menu's had an improved search method. It seems like it takes forever to find the specific shows/movies you know are available so that they can be DVR'd.

Anyone that orders a package, though, should make certain that they receive a DVR that is 3D ready. I just found out that ours (which are 4 years old or so) are HD but not 3D ready, and a new one is 200 bucks.  I haven't called to negotiate about that yet, since apparently the Super Bowl is not in 3d, and I don't care about 3D movies.

Even if there is not a lot of 3D programming (and many don't have the television supporting it), you might want to have that available in the future.

Anyone except Y2, of course. I'm guessing he sees double most of the time, anyhow -- sort of an alcohol induced 3D.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 08:06 »

Lambert - Are the current DTV sat boxes, HR24, 3D ready?

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 11:32 »

Fuck, I'd be happy if they could just fix the frickin' lag with my receivers.  I assume it's related to how much is stored on the hard drive, but c'mon, when you press a button on the remote, there shouldn't be a 3-5 second response time delay.

Besides, I'm not too interested in whole house programming.  I'd kinda rather keep all the kids' shows lumped on one receiver with a few sprinkled on the other ones in the house.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2011 at 23:02 »

Got it installed.  Dude hooked me up with a DVR in the 3rd room, so there are 3 DVR's "pooled" together.  There are TVapps too, for weather, individual sports and a bunch of other stuff. Pretty suhweet.

My old big screen is in the basement, and he ran a line across my basement, unfinished, so I can now use the old SD box on that big screen.  For when the kids have sleepovers,they can hang in the basement w TV.  Bonus for BV.

Good Stuff.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2011 at 08:51 »

Four TVs, eh? Do you have a Jungle Room as well?
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2011 at 09:17 »

Or 30 pounds of impacted stool?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2011 at 10:25 »

3 that get used.  the Wii is on the old big screen, so it doesn't really count as a 4th.  I guess now it can.  15 year old 4x3 Toshiba 60 inch.  Since I own the old SD box, and didn't have to give it back, why not use it?

DirecTV installer guy not only ran the line, but made the line about 20 ft longer than needed in case we want to move that TV in the future.  Last time he came out to switch my failing box was on his own time so I gave him $20.  I requested the same guy for this install, and It got me a HD DVR and that line in the basement.  Pretty good investment!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOM

VintageRoadBike
N00b

« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2011 at 23:41 »

BV has huge cash!!
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2011 at 09:04 »

BV has huge cash!!

Yet can't afford ESPN Insider  Grin
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: