Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 19, 2014 at 06:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Bowl XLV, Feb. 6, 2011  (Read 8727 times)
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #70 on: Feb 06, 2011 at 21:21 »

Well, crap.  We just didn't have that extra gear tonight.  Hung around, stayed in it, but when we needed that one play to go for the throat either offensively or defensively, we just couldn't get it.

Despite all that, I thought when we held them to a FG and Ben had the ball down 6 with 2 minutes left, I thought we might pull out something incredible, even at 4th down.

Kudos to the Packers for capitalizing on our miscues...and I have to admit they forced at least 2 of the turnovers...2nd INT was a mistake by Ben.  21 points off 3 turnovers.

Rodgers was good, not incredible, although he had a bunch of drops.

Ben had too many misses, plain and simple.  Defense didn't make the big stop when we had to have it...although if it were the opposite we'd say clutch throw by our guy.

Dunno what else to say.  I think had we come out of the gate acting like the experienced team instead of the shaky one, we win it.  But we didn't.
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #71 on: Feb 06, 2011 at 21:27 »

I don't know how to feel about this game.

On the one hand, clearly, we could have won it. But more than disappointment, I somehow feel relieved that we weren't blown out. Because it feels like we played poorly enough that we should have lost this game by about 17 points. The Packers dropped a few catchable balls on offense that helped keep us in the game.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #72 on: Feb 06, 2011 at 21:39 »

Yeah, could have been a laugher, but we hung in there.

I think had we won it would have felt we had stolen it.  The better team won tonight - or at least the team that played best tonight.

6-2 in the SB still isn't shabby.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #73 on: Feb 06, 2011 at 21:39 »

Disappointing Heath wasn't a bigger part of the game plan.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Manimal

« Reply #74 on: Feb 06, 2011 at 21:42 »

He was blocking every time I looked for him, but I don't know how often that was really the case.

No pass attempts by Randle El surprised me.
Manimal

« Reply #75 on: Feb 06, 2011 at 21:44 »

Yeah, could have been a laugher, but we hung in there.

I think had we won it would have felt we had stolen it.  The better team won tonight - or at least the team that played best tonight.

6-2 in the SB still isn't shabby.

Yeah, it seems that way to me, too. I wonder if we'll ever string together a year where we are clearly just the best team in the league and roll through the Super Bowl. It would be nice.

It's strange, but it seems like the current Steeler team, from let's say 2004 on, is the greatest inconsistent team in NFL history.
Manimal

« Reply #76 on: Feb 06, 2011 at 21:48 »

Now, what was up with that last drive? Here's what I saw:

-- we looked confused, especially Wallace. When in doubt, just run a post, dude.

-- the Packers were NOT in a prevent, where they concede the underneath stuff. They were aggressively clogging the short zones with defenders. This tells me that they did not respect either Ben's deep accuracy, or they believed that Wallace was our only real deep threat.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #77 on: Feb 06, 2011 at 21:54 »

Insert Quote
Quote from: SCacalaki on Today at 22:39

He was blocking every time I looked for him, but I don't know how often that was really the case.

Maybe they felt they needed to keep him in more to protect the makeshift Oline.

-- we looked confused, especially Wallace. When in doubt, just run a post, dude.

-- the Packers were NOT in a prevent, where they concede the underneath stuff. They were aggressively clogging the short zones with defenders. This tells me that they did not respect either Ben's deep accuracy, or they believed that Wallace was our only real deep threat.

Yeah, that was disappointing.  We've successfully run 2 minute drill can't tell how many times.  Wallace maybe I can live with, but Ben and HInes not on same page on 3rd down?  Inexcuseable.

No reason for Pack to be concerned with deep throw - we hadn't hit one all day.  The miss of Wallace in 3rd quarter was killer.  I think that was drive where we missed FG?  Once again, one of those plays we normally hit but didn't tonight.
Manimal

« Reply #78 on: Feb 06, 2011 at 22:05 »

No reason for Pack to be concerned with deep throw - we hadn't hit one all day.  The miss of Wallace in 3rd quarter was killer.  I think that was drive where we missed FG?  Once again, one of those plays we normally hit but didn't tonight.

I agree, that miss on the throw to Wallace hurt us real bad. Ben had plenty of time to throw, Wallace was wide open - and it wasn't event THAT far down field.

I also think Ben (and maybe BA/Tomlin) showed poor game awareness on the play right before our FG miss. It's 3rd-and-13, against a good defense. Line of scrimmage is the 32 - so, a long field goal right there.

It wouldn't have been foolish for them to play for the FG on that 3rd down. Throw a 5-yarder to Miller or Ward, or even run a draw play, maybe get lucky and convert but in any case make it a 44- or 42-yard FG attempt.

Instead - Ben took a SACK! Even an incompletion there wouldn't have been quite so bad. I know the sack only lost us 3 or 4 yards, but still.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #79 on: Feb 06, 2011 at 22:23 »

After the shaky FG and PAT, there's no way I would have tried a 52 yarder. Pin 'em.

Too many wasted passes where QB & WR didn't seem to be on the same page.

Even with all that, the Mendenhall fumble seemed to be the crusher. Good field position with a chance to take the lead.

Could have used Holmes on that last drive. Or a slightly younger Hines.

Would have loved to see Aaron Rodgers have to play from behind in the 2nd half.
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: