Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 22, 2014 at 19:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Bowl XLV, Feb. 6, 2011  (Read 8354 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Jan 24, 2011 at 10:19 »

Yeah buddy.  I like that the Packers are 2.5 pt favorites.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 11:09 »

We have a big(ger) problem at OL if Pouncey can't go.

On the other side of the ball, however, we can have success against that OL if we want it.  Bulaga and Clifton both gave up their share of sacks (about 20 between them IIRC) and they're certainly not better than the Jets' or even the Ravens' OL.  I don't see Rodgers having the time to look downfield all that often.  Jennings has a slight edge on Ike, Jones will have the usual success versus McFadden, Driver has been pretty much a non-factor this year, and I like Timmons as much as any 'backer in the league on the tight end.  In short, my early thinking is that this will NOT be a repeat of last year's shootout, probably more in the range of 47-52 total points. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 11:53 »

Legursky acquitted himself nicely yesterday.  Sure, he's no Pouncey but if he's what there is then what can you do?  Guess Arians will have to not plan on running right up the middle.  Or Kemo will have to help out more on the big guy. 

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 12:38 »

I was less thrilled with Legursky, but it is what it is.  Never thought we'd allow another safety, but at least Legursky should get more snaps in the leadup to XLV even if Pouncey is a maybe.  Which, I have no idea how he magically comes back from that nasty HAS.  Seriously. 

Pack has a great matchup edge in their WR3 and WR4 guys (ostensibly Jordy Nelson and James Jones, although as noted by Penso, Driver lagged behind both in 2010 reg season stats).  They won't run for shit, though, and their TE dropoff after Finley got IR'd is notable.  Also, looked like Rodgers took a swell hit to the noggin, and his 2H was quite the dropoff.  14 offensive 1H points, 0 2H?  He's had some concussions, and I wonder if he's just being the anti-Cuntler and toughing it out when maybe he should have allowed the QB2 to take snaps.  Just sayin': concussions don't always clear up in 2 weeks.

Both teams are teams that are capable of playing a great half, and then doing little to nothing, as evidenced yesterday. 

Even if Pouncey is back, Raji is going to destroy the A gap.  More my disdain for our duo of guards than of the centers, really.  Matthews takes the Suggs role, so we know what to expect.  Don't expect much from our passing game, as this GBPD has been outstanding.  But Hanie did get some good completions against them, along with the predictable turnovers considering he's a QB3 (well, QB2, since Collins = shit).  So that might give some clues on how to attack.  But I think that we will be able to find some running room.  If Mendy and Redman can duplicate some of the 1H success versus the NYJD in XLV, it spells a good outcome.  Mendy was tearing off chunks like Bruce the shark.

Contrariwise, GHPO ain't running, so it will be all passing, period.  They can dissect mediocre defenses (Falcons), and they got the early jump on the Bears, but the Bears tightened the screws and allowed only 14 points.  If the Steelers can similarly batten the hatches, we might see that vaunted attack shut down.

Whatever happens, I respect the Packers as potent foes moreso than the Cards or Hags, and as an org moreso than most NFL teams.  Just hope we send 'em home with the consolation prize.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 14:25 »

Contrariwise, GHPO ain't running, so it will be all passing, period.  They can dissect mediocre defenses (Falcons), and they got the early jump on the Bears, but the Bears tightened the screws and allowed only 14 points.  If the Steelers can similarly batten the hatches, we might see that vaunted attack shut down.

Early predictions are starting to float around that this will be another shootout akin to their matchup last year.  Vegas is at least trying to sell that story somewhat considering the O/U (45.5).  Personally though, I could easily see this game being more along the lines of the GB/Jets game this year.  Well, maybe not that low scoring, but IMO, right now I like the under in this one.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 19:56 »

I'm sitting here fretting over the looming evisceration at the hands of Green Bay in two weeks.  Rodgers finds Jennings for 25!  Starks up the middle for eight and a half and another Green Bay first down! Raji simply walks through the middle of the line hitting Mendenhall and causing his third fumble of the game! Tramon Williams with a new super bowl record 106 yard interception return, breaking James Harrison's old mark!  The way Rodgers has been eating defenses-- except the last two quarters of the NFCC, natch-- it seems completely reasonable for Green Bay to be favorites.  I'm even about to call my guy and put some down on Green Bay before the line goes up to 5 1/2 or 6.

And then I remember.  The NFC championship game.  The NFC championship game.  The Packers were the lowest seed in what might be the worst top-to-bottom conference in living memory.  I know they're peaking at the right time; I know they gave the Patriots a hard time late in the year (or did they expose the Patriots?  Maybe it would have been a good year to play New England in the playoffs after all).  But still.  Who they beat?  Atlanta?  Big damn deal.

But... it's a good thing when the Steelers aren't the story.  I think Rex Ryan implicitly understood this, which is why there was no real trash talk in the week before the AFCC.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2011 at 08:28 »

I definitely think the Packers are better than the Seahawks or Cardinals, and in my opinion, it's not close. We should have destroyed our earlier opponents, and it's disappointing that we didn't.

But then again, lots of teams, for a variety of reasons, don't seem to play their best in the Super Bowl. Aside from their game against the Rams, the Patriots have underperformed their regular season performance in every Super Bowl they've been in.

The Packers are the best team in the league this year, in my view. They have a great, versatile passing game that can play the dink-and-dunk like New England but also make big plays down the field and on broken plays like Pittsburgh. That's a handful right there.

They also have a great defense that cooled off New England and Atlanta. They can cover, they can zone blitz, they get turnovers. They will give our offense a very hard time, I think.

The Packers seem vulnerable to me when it comes to their running game, which I am confident will be stone-cold shut down. And their offensive line gave up sacks in bunches at times.

Other advantages the Steelers have include Super Bowl experience. Pittsburgh won't be overwhelmed by the situation, the team knows how to prepare for the game, and, furthermore, the pressure is really on Green Bay. It's the worst of all worlds for them. They are going up against a Super Bowl-tested QB with nothing to prove; it's not like Ben needs another Super Bowl win.  And yet, Ben is very motivated to have a great game, though, to shut up the critics who think he's been out-quarterbacked in the other two.

Overall, I respect the Packers, I'm glad we have a quality opponent, it's appropriate that they should be the favorites - and yet, I feel strangely confident the Steelers win. should be a great game.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2011 at 16:37 »

I'm not confident.  Hopeful, but not confident. 

I think Green Bay has the edge on talent, mainly because of the condition of our O line.  We won't run as well as we did against the Jets in the first half, and pass protection will be an issue as usual.

Coaching, I like Lebeau vs. anybody, hate Arians vs. anybody, HC probably even, so it's a wash.  Unlike SB XXX, when a large talent disadvantage was almost overcome by an equally large coaching advantage.

Looks like advantage Pack, but we have a great intangible on both sides of the ball (Ben and Troy), where they have a very good defense but not that one out of this world game changer.

Honestly I think it will be close, conservative game until the 4th quarter when Rodgers and Ben get into a game of Can you Top This, and put up about 5 scores in the 4th, coming down to the last minute drive.

I'd love to see the first OT Super Bowl, with the new rules.  GB gets the ball and kicks a FG, leaving Ben in a true do or die situation, with 4th down at his disposal.  Takes it methodically down the field for the game winning TD., giving all the Steeler/Ben haters plenty to bitch about and excuses to make.

Of course, I wouldn't actually SEE it since by that point the stress would have me convulsing on the floor with blood coming out my ears, but would still be cool.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2011 at 18:26 »

I'd love to see the first OT Super Bowl, with the new rules.  GB gets the ball and kicks a FG, leaving Ben in a true do or die situation, with 4th down at his disposal.  Takes it methodically down the field for the game winning TD., giving all the Steeler/Ben haters plenty to bitch about and excuses to make.

If that happened, the entire media and (non-steeler) internet boards everywhere would go into complete meltdown. Imagine the number of "THE REFS CHANZED THE RULKZ SO RAPISTBERGER WOULD WIN" posts. It would be glorious.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2011 at 19:35 »

I'm not confident.  Hopeful, but not confident. 

The majority of Steelers games seem to be gut wrenching affairs. I expect no different.

Unless someone gets blown out, I don't think the loser of this game will get much bad press, unless there's a clear goat.

The Packers have always been the NFC Steelers, to me. Can't really like the Steelers, yet dislike the Pack.

That said, we just have to find a way to win this game. I know...it's getting kinda greedy, but you never know when the next chance will show itself.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: