Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 23, 2014 at 10:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Bowl XLV, Feb. 6, 2011  (Read 7698 times)
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #80 on: Feb 06, 2011 at 22:28 »

I also think Ben (and maybe BA/Tomlin) showed poor game awareness on the play right before our FG miss. It's 3rd-and-13, against a good defense. Line of scrimmage is the 32 - so, a long field goal right there.

It wouldn't have been foolish for them to play for the FG on that 3rd down. Throw a 5-yarder to Miller or Ward, or even run a draw play, maybe get lucky and convert but in any case make it a 44- or 42-yard FG attempt.

Instead - Ben took a SACK! Even an incompletion there wouldn't have been quite so bad. I know the sack only lost us 3 or 4 yards, but still.

That series, in particular had me spittin' & throwing stuff.  The running game, when they used it, was working.  I think they averaged close to 5.5 yards per carry.  So, what do they do when they break inside the 30?  Misfire to Wallace,... Completion to Miller for -3,... take a sack,... then shank a field goal to turn it over near the 45.

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #81 on: Feb 06, 2011 at 23:28 »

I agree, that miss on the throw to Wallace hurt us real bad. Ben had plenty of time to throw, Wallace was wide open

That was the one.  If Ben hits that one, the game is very different.  Steelers had all the "mo" in the world at that point, and a TD there really has the Packers on their heels.  That was even bigger than the Mendenhall fumble.

As bad as all three turnovers were, I also thought they were great plays by the defense. 

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
TwistedLemon

« Reply #82 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 08:02 »

As many of you have said, I have mixed emotions about the game.  On one hand, I feel as though we gave it to them (21 points given off of turnovers is HUGE), on the other, we were lucky to make it that close.

We seemed to get decent pressure on Rodgers, and credit to him, he did not allow it to get inside of his helmet.  For that matter, if his WR's were not dropping seemingly perfectly thrown balls it would have been even uglier.  For all of our needs in the draft / free agency, CB is (and has been) a big one.

For all the issues we have, and with Pouncey being out, the O-Line did not look horrible.  Ben often had alot of time in the pocket.  Have to wonder if that was not a part of GB's plan......keep him in the pocket rather than allowing him to scramble and make things happen.

Ben was off / inaccurate.

When we were down by 6 and getting the ball with 2 minutes, I felt as though we had a shot.  After all, been there done that.

"My reality check bounced"
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #83 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 08:27 »

For all the issues we have, and with Pouncey being out, the O-Line did not look horrible.  Ben often had alot of time in the pocket.  Have to wonder if that was not a part of GB's plan......keep him in the pocket rather than allowing him to scramble and make things happen.

Ben was off / inaccurate.

I think the O-Line played well. That's a good point that GB effectively kept Ben pinned in the pocket. I also wonder if Ben's ankle/knee problem affected both his ability and his accuracy. His throwing motion looked a little jerky to me.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #84 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 09:09 »

Well, that sucked.  Green Bay played (mostly) mistake-free football whereas the Steelers made a bushel full of 'em - granted, some predicated by the play of the Pack's defense.  But the drive-stalling/killing holds and false starts and horrifically inaccurate throws, repeatedly blown 3rd and long coverages - that's just bad Foosball.

It sucks to lose but it sucks harder to perform far below the expected standard, that's what makes it tougher to accept.  You know some of those guys are looking in the mirror and saying, "What if?"

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #85 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 09:20 »

Ben and the offense shit the bed in the first half and if GB hadn't dropped so many passes it's probably a fucking blowout in the early 3rd. Even after all that if Mendy doesn't fumble, wow, it looks like we may have scored some points with that field position, probably taken the lead.

Disappointing game for sure but a -3 turnover margin will do it to you. just looked out of synch all night. superbowl loss + hangover = sucky ass monday morning. fuck.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #86 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 09:27 »

Disappointing game for sure but a -3 turnover margin will do it to you. just looked out of synch all night. superbowl loss + hangover = sucky ass monday morning. fuck.

At least you weren't like the Pittsburghers I heard interviewed after the game.  They had tickets in that area that was blocked off from seating.  They got to their non-existent seats, were told to go back outside and get in another line, they waited so long they missed the first quarter only to receive crappy obstructed-view seats in the rafters somewhere.  They were understandably pissed.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #87 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 11:26 »

Does anybody know where Troy Polamalu is?  Still can't believe how non-existant he was in these playoffs.  Is he playing hurt?  Clearly, the secondary needs to be addressed this off-season, as the current crew just can't hang when Polamalu isn't at his best.  I'm starting to think this is a bigger issue than the OL (who actually played pretty well last night, FWIW).

I feel like that was Mendy's first fumble all season, though I'm too lazy to look it up.  It seemed like he finally was over his fumbling problems, to be sure.  Great hit by Matthews though to knock it loose.  That was the game-changer, for sure.  Momentum was on our side and the field position would have almost surely led to points.

It's a bummer for sure, but this team is going to be in the hunt for the title for the next 5 years.  Just need to fix a few holes and there's no reason this team can't go back and win it next season.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #88 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 12:01 »

Does anybody know where Troy Polamalu is?  Still can't believe how non-existant he was in these playoffs.  Is he playing hurt?  Clearly, the secondary needs to be addressed this off-season, as the current crew just can't hang when Polamalu isn't at his best.  I'm starting to think this is a bigger issue than the OL (who actually played pretty well last night, FWIW).

I think you're right. The secondary needs a lot of attention, potentially more attention than the O-Line. And it might be that all we need is a good RG to go next to Pouncey, instead of a franchise LT. Amazingly, I think our pass blocking has been pretty solid, but our run blocking needs serious help, especially for runs between the tackles. Almost every good running play of ours in the postseason was off tackle or a botched up-the-middle run that got bounced outside by the back.

And we need to either fix the secondary or borrow what the Patriots do when they play a spread offense like Green Bay's, which is to have the flexibility to switch to a 4-3 and play cover-2, which seems more effective than the 3-4 cover-3 style we play with the corners off.

But in any case, we need the personnel and the scheme that can defend the pass without a fully healthy Polamalu, because his health is aa lot to depend on.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #89 on: Feb 08, 2011 at 11:43 »

Rodgers was good, not incredible, although he had a bunch of drops.

Dunno if I agree with that.  The guy looked razor sharp considering it was his First Dance.  I recall two passes that were "off."  'Prolly woulda thrown for close to 400 if his WRs didn't lose sight of the ball in all the flashbulbs.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 ... 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: