Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 16, 2014 at 16:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ESPN NFL Countdown  (Read 490 times)
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« on: Jan 24, 2011 at 12:48 »

I never watch this show, but Sunday they did a piece on Harrison.  Anyone see this?

We was working out, and they were talking to his trainer.  He is more of a beast in the weight room than on the field.  He was doing tricepts dips with four 45 lb plates, in addition to his body weight.

His bench pressing is even more remarkable.  Anyone (I know the answer to this on this board is no  Grin ) ever do narrow grip bench presses instead of regular/wide grip benches?  It significantly decreases the amount of weight you can bench, because you are using a smaller part of the chest.  Anyway, for narrow grip bench presses, Harrison benches 500 lbs.  I bet 9.9 outta 10 guys in the leage can't bench 5 hundy normally. 

I guess that explains how he picked up LT last night on Jets 1st play and threw him down backwards. 

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
BleedGreen710
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 13:48 »

I know the close grip bench gets your triceps more involved, but from what my buddy told me who is an avid weight lifter, his regular grip bench press is probably not too much more than his narrow grip.  Judging by the video, it didn't look like his hands were that narrow...  Regardless, dude is an animal and I think you're right, most players probably can't do 500 lbs. no matter what kind of grip they use...  If I recall correctly, Leon Searcy or someone only did 225 at the combine like 7 times...  Harrison probably could throw that up 50 times, at least.

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 14:26 »

I'm no pro athlete, but I can do 30 push ups (same motion as benching) with normal hand position.  That drops to 8 or 10 with hands inside the width of my shoulders.  I don't disagree w you, just sayin.  That makes sense with the dips he was doing.

For some reason, I remember some fuss about O'Donnell beign able to bench 400.  That is impressive for a QB.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 18:09 »

Its a significant decrease (closed from wide) as you are focusing on triceps.  I'd say around 100lbs in Harrison's case.  Word is he can bench nearly 1x700, which would make sense assuming he was repping 500 with a closed grip.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2011 at 10:40 »

I can read a book, take a dump, and drink whiskey simultaneously.  Just ask Mrs. Finny.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2011 at 11:24 »

I can read a book, take a dump, and drink whiskey simultaneously.  Just ask Mrs. Finny.

She knows, because while taking the dump you simultaneously describe the book to her.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: