Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 23:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repeat: TV Purchase discussion  (Read 795 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Jan 27, 2011 at 05:39 »

Okay, looking over new TV options.  We're not sure we're going to do it, but we are definitely in the dark ages when it comes to our televisions, and we are having a major-league SB party.  23 people coming to the house, which is a big crowd for us.

So, we have a very nice TV armoire, and it could hold a 37-inch TV.  We are trying to decide if we should just go with a really nice 37, or ditch the armoire and get a bigger screen.  Also:  Plasma, LCD, or LED?  Price will surely be a factor in that as well.

Thoughts?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2011 at 07:46 »

Ditch the armoire and get a much larger TV, at least in the 50" range.  I'll leave the other questions to the experts.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2011 at 07:58 »

We had to replace the MB TV and needed it to fit in the armoire. Had to find a 37" that would fit in the 36". Picked up an LG for $500 and have been impressed with the TV.

For a family room, you'll probably want to go bigger. We have a 57" Mits, but it's DLP and not the sexy pick. Opted for that because it was so much cheaper than other TVs of that size.

Check your viewing distances. If you get some big ass screen, you don't want to be right on top of it.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2011 at 08:41 »

Viewing distance, IMO, drives the purchase.  I don't like to feel like I'm at a drive in movie, so I don't want to be 8 feet away from a 73" inch TV.  If you aren't used to a big TV, and your viewing distance is, I dunno, 12' - 15'.  You'd be pretty happy with a 52".  From that dfistance a 56" would be ideal.  The "guide I've heard for viewing distance is the screen size is half the distance in feet. So, if 10 feet viewing distance, go with 60 inch screen.  IMO, that would be max.  

After that, if you want to make it easy and go mainstream, look at LCD's.  I beleive the processing speed of the faster ones, that aren't $10K, are 240 mhz.  

After that it comes down to how much you are willing to spend.  There are LED LCD tv's.  should last longer, better light etc.  Some just have LED's around the edge which really does nothing.  (stay away from those - you wil pay somewhat of a premium because the box says LED but adds no real benefit, IMO)  If you think you want to be 3D compatible, that is an option and takes yo into a higher price range.

Brands - Sony's are nice and the most expensive.  A lot of people like LG, Samsung, etc.  One economically priced brand is Vizio.  Pretty decent TV and is at the lower end of the price spectrum.  I have two of them, although my main TV is a Mitsubishi DLP, similar to Otis'.

Check out prices at Sam's or Costco.  Both have pretty good selection, good return policy (better than hh gregg), and really good prices.

Also, you definitely want a TV that is 1080P, NOT 720p.

recap: if viewing distance is over 15 feet, 60"+.  10' - 15' distance 52" - 56".  Even at 6 feet distance a 42 inch wouldn't be too big.

If the TV doesn't come with HDMI cable, check out monoprice.com.  With shipping will be cheaper than buying at store.

Also, if you have a cable box for your TV, you'll likely need to call the cable company and get an HD cable box to support the TV.  Standard Definition programming looks worse on an HD TV than it does on a Standard Tv.

That's all I got, well, for someone just entering the HD TV market.

« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2011 at 10:03 by Big Virgil » Logged

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2011 at 09:03 »

Check out prices at Sam's or Costco.

Sam's also has this E-Value membership they offer. It's prorated, so if your membership is close to being up for the year, it can be pretty cheap. Only reason I mention it is that sometimes they offer extended warranties for electronics. Last year I only had a few days before renewal and the E-Value cost was something like $8. If I was buying a TV, it would have been worth $8 to get an extra year of warranty.

If the TV doesn't come with HDMI cable, check out monoprice.com.

Can get these at Sam's too.

Also, if you have a cable box for your TV, you'll likely need to call the cable company and get an HD cable box to support the TV.

If you're scrambling to get things set up for SB Sunday and haven't updated to the HD cable box, you can possibly get the over the air signal, depending on your location. If you're close enough to the broadcast signal, you can watch the game in HD for free...you'll just need a cheap Walmart antenna.

You don't want to buy a big screen, then watch the SB in SD. That's 94%.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2011 at 09:48 »

I concur, but have never seen HDMI cables in Sam's.  All the rich people that can afford ESPN insider get all the perks in life.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2011 at 09:57 »

Excellent!  I have dish and we already have the HD box for it.  Need to decide before this weekend to make sure we get everything properly set up.

Honestly, I'm just thankful that I have a wife who is willing to cut into the Hardwood Floor Fund in order to get a better look at the Steelers in the Super Bowl.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2011 at 12:22 »

One thing that could drive the decision of LCD or Plasma is refresh rate. If you're watching sports (pretty sure you are), don't buy an LCD with less than 240MHz refresh...or just buy a 600MHz Plasma (I think at this point, they're cheaper anyway). Otherwise, you could have ghosting on fast moving action.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2011 at 12:34 »

One thing that could drive the decision of LCD or Plasma is refresh rate.

My neighbor has something like an 81" DLP. He got it quite a few years back. I watched some football on it right after he got it (year Colts won it) and you could really notice the blur. At the line, everything would be clear then as soon as the ball was snapped, you could see the blur. But we may have been sitting too close.

I think our 57" DLP is only 120 and I've not noticed any blur.

The LG we bought is only 60MHz and no problems with it either. Maybe distance/screen size makes it harder to detect.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2011 at 13:29 »

My recent experience was that pretty much every LCD TV under 40 inches 60 MHZ.  About 75% of them are 720P too.  The Blu-Ray feed on those in the store looked terrible.

The 120 MHz isn't the end of the world preach, but it would be worth it to shop for one that's 240MHZ.

My 5 1/2 year old 1080P DLP looks as good as any LCD I have ever seen.  99.99% of viewing is 1080i, but it is mf'ing crystal.

Refresh rate isn't as "big of a deal" with DLP's, and honestly, I don't even know what mine is.  I'm not sure what the difference is there betwen LCD and DLP refresh.  Otis - get on AVS and figure that out.  NEVERMIND

The ultra-fast DLP® chip has an unparalleled 16 microsecond pixel response time. HDTVs and projectors powered by DLP® chip deliver a precise, razor-sharp picture, making it ideal for sports, action-packed or fast-moving scenes and gaming.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: