Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 25, 2014 at 11:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just heard on Sporting News Radio...  (Read 506 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Feb 01, 2011 at 21:43 »

Mike Florio (whom I normally don't care for) was on discussing the whole Roger Goodell commentary.  He pointed out that Peter King retracted the original commentary after Goodouche contacted him.

However, the "word on the street" is that Goodell contacted King after "an owner by the name of Rooney" contacted him and burned a hole in his ear over the issue.  Wonder if that had anything to do with the investigation supposedly being "confidential" along with throwing one team under the bus leading up to their Super Bowl appearance?

Also, Florio was commenting that a lot of media (and he IMPLIED King was among them) believe Goodouche was covering his arse after opening his big yap when he should have kept it closed.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2011 at 09:12 »

Had to turn off Gottlieb on ESPN radio over his discussion of this same topic, with much the same speculation over whether Goodell had basically told King to revise his original (correct) version. 

First of all, can we have any interesting football talk this week?  That actually pertains to, you know, FOOTBALL?  FFS.

And if you are going to get caught up in this whole soap opera, the focus isn't really how Goodell imposed his will on King.  Even if there was some quid pro quo deal there ("do this, or I will/won't..."), isn't the main issue that Goodell is not to be trusted in matters of player confidentiality?

And wouldn't a good discussion revolve around how inane it was for Goodell to base ANY part of Ben's sentence on whether he was "liked" or "wouldn't sign some dude's jersey." 

I really didn't think it possible to hate Goodell more, but there you have it.  And I hate the media for making this week about this non-story, the Packers photo non-story, and whispers of strip clubs.

Goodell is famously a buddy of Bob Kraft, going so far as to destroy the evidence of Spygate "to save the face of the NFL."  Whatevs.  I'd like to know how much influence Kraft might have had in imposing the term of the suspension on one of his biggest AFC challengers.  Uh, conflict of interest?  Well, sure, if you're fair and impartial, which Thee Dictator is most certainly NOT.  To say nothing of the coda to Spygate wherein AV equipment "mysteriously" didn't work for the playoff opponent Jaguars.

Pats are dirty, Goodell is dirty (think again about all those fines on Harrison and what they're REALLY meant to do), and he's passing himself off as the sheriff in the white hat. 

I don't mean to wish ill upon any human being, but if Goodell had a massive myocardial infarction tomorrow I'd greet it with all the sympathy of one of those fucking stink bugs I flush down the shitter.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2011 at 11:47 »

The one thing I like about this story is--and this is assuming any degree of truth to the Rooney phone call--the Steelers seem to be the one organization that doesn't just bend over the chair because Goodouche says so.  I'm concerned that it will cost the Steelers somehow in this SB (and no, I don't put conspiracy above this man at all), but Harrison, Tomlin, Hines Ward, Rooneys, etc. will fight back. 

The media "thud" is partially due to the fact that you have two class organizations in this thing.  Still better than listening to Antonio Cromartie and Rex Ryan for two weeks--although I find Rex amusing at times.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2011 at 12:01 »

Somebody should write Bud Selig about this.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2011 at 13:15 »

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=6083150

Not sure if this is the same Peter King article, but if so, I love what he is trying to do.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2011 at 13:18 »

It's important to remember that Rooney basically negotiated the truce between old and new ownership that allowed Goodell to be commish in the first place.  I think Goodell bears resentment that he is beholden to the Rooneys in some ways because of this, and it manifests itself in an anti-Steelers attitude.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2011 at 13:38 »

Had to turn off Gottlieb on ESPN radio over his discussion of this same topic, with much the same speculation over whether Goodell had basically told King to revise his original (correct) version. 

First of all, can we have any interesting football talk this week?  That actually pertains to, you know, FOOTBALL?  FFS.

I really didn't think it possible to hate Goodell more, but there you have it.  And I hate the media for making this week about this non-story, the Packers photo non-story, and whispers of strip clubs.

Thankfully (I guess), I've been so busy lately with everything that I haven't watched one single SportsCenter...or NFL segment...or even sports talk radio...to be bothered by any of the SB lead up garbage.  The only thing I watched (again) was a portion of the America's Game on the 212 that chronicled the '08 SB run.

That's it.

Here's to hoping that they'll be working on another Steelers episode within the next few weeks.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: