Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 07:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WTF is wrong with OC?  (Read 639 times)
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Feb 07, 2011 at 10:56 »

I know it's like beating a dead horse but c'mon!

we MARCH down the field with running the ball for 80 yards and a TD to pull within 4 points, stuff them 3 and out and then........forget we did that.  I swear Arians has his head so far up his own ass he can't see when he's doing something right and just want's to try to out think himself.  RUN THE FUCKING BALL - WE WIN.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 11:29 »

I actually think we needed to spread the defense out and let Ben try to pick them apart in the second half.  Sure, Ben clearly didn't have his A game last night, but you have to take advantage of Woodson being out.  Also think we should have gone no-huddle a lot more (they didn't start running no-huddle until the last possession).  That's when Ben is at his best and he was never given the opportunity.

Heath Miller's lack of involvement in the passing game is also inexcusable.  If they are that desperate to block people on the ends, then get some real tackles fer chrissakes.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 12:45 »

I actually think we needed to spread the defense out and let Ben try to pick them apart in the second half.  Sure, Ben clearly didn't have his A game last night, but you have to take advantage of Woodson being out.  Also think we should have gone no-huddle a lot more (they didn't start running no-huddle until the last possession).  That's when Ben is at his best and he was never given the opportunity.

I agree...also don't forget there was a significant portion of this game where Shields was out too. That leaves Green Bay with the equivalent of Willie Gay and Anthony Madison as their starting cornerbacks and that's the time during the game where we decided to have an 80 yard Touchdown drive where we do nothing but run the ball. Does he just not understand playing to the opponents weakness? We should have been running the rest of the game and then as soon as their 3rd and 4th corners because their starters, we should have went play action deep to Wallace (and we should have kept trying that situationally until we had a big lead, their CBs were back, or the game was over).

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

jasonic

« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 13:26 »

yes, I agree to try to take advantage of their depleted corners but when the run was obviously working (at least 8 ypc it seemed all game) why stop?  Incompletes on first down just create a hole that you have to throw out of and Ben's touch was obviously off.  3rd and 2 and you throw?  Just infuriating...

oh well, had a good run and very positive for next year.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2011 at 13:32 by jasonic » Logged

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 13:26 »

This thread is, like, so 2007 dude.  Don't you know that Ron Cook is in love with Bruce Arians?  Ben Roethlisberger threw for 500 yards in a game last season, so Arians must be the Second Coming of Bill Walsh.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 13:28 »

yes, I agree to try to take advantage of their depleted corners but when the run was obviously working (at least 8 ypc it seemed all game) why stop?  Incompletes on first down just create a hole that you have to throw out of and Ben's touch was obviously off.  #rd and 2 and you throw?  Just infuriating...

Or, how about spread the defense out THEN run the ball?  Thereby giving you a chance to both run it and take advantage of the depleted secondary. 

Yeah, that would be too, you know, simple.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
jasonic

« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 13:34 »

It seemed like that was going to happen, Ben did a play fake that completely fooled the rushers and then overthrew Wallace.  On the replay, you could see the rushers just stop, turn and go after Mendy who didn't even have the ball but of course, I only saw that once all game.

scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 14:42 »

yes, I agree to try to take advantage of their depleted corners but when the run was obviously working (at least 8 ypc it seemed all game) why stop?  Incompletes on first down just create a hole that you have to throw out of and Ben's touch was obviously off.  3rd and 2 and you throw?  Just infuriating...

There is a lot going on in this thread.  Too much run...To much pass...  But I think both of the problems jasonic pointed out (incompletions on 1st down and not running on 3rd and 2) would seriously be solved by incorporating Heath Miller and Mendenhall/Redman back into the passing offense.  And I am not talking a Mark Sanchez type checkdown O, I am thinking more along the lines of the Pats- Faulk, Woodhead, Grontaosjdaojdski O.

Of course this assumes we could effectively pass block without keeping our RBs/TEs in.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 15:35 »

My point was that it almost seemed like we ran the hell out of the ball ONLY when their CBs were both out. We should have been running the ball all game and then when both CBs were out for a while, we should have smelled the blood and went for the throat.

Yeah we tried it once to Wallace and it was a bad pass (or possibly bad adjustment to the ball in the air by Wallace - I couldn't tell), but that doesn't mean the play wasn't open.

The lack of TEs and RBs in the passing game was also noted by me, but Arians seemed to really want the bubble screen to Wallace to work because Wallace is best when he's standing still at the LOS rather than going deep. *EYEROLL*

As for spreading the D out and then running, I'm actually not a fan of that for this game. That's great when you can't just line up and run it, but we obviously could, so why go with the trickery. It was the situations that bothered me rather than the scheme.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: