Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 29, 2014 at 00:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 O-Line  (Read 2007 times)
jburghfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Feb 08, 2011 at 11:19 »

RT-Flozell Adams- Try and squeeze out one more season...

RG-Willie Colon- Now's the time to make this move...

C-Maurkice Pouncey- Nothing that doesn't need to be said...

LG-Chris Kemoeatu- Best option here...

LT-Max Starks- Welcome back big guy...

Big, strong O-Line that plays with an attitude....Let's ram it down peoples throats....

Also like to see more 2 back sets with Mendy and Redman...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2011 at 11:46 »

Still think we need to add a couple of pieces here.

I'd rather see Legursky at LG than Kemo, who's too fat, stupid, and slow to stay there.  Flo is not someone I'd want to count on, due to age and injury.  Seems like between Flo and Colon we're gambling one stays healthy.

Ramon Foster is a backup.  Essex is a backup.

The Scotts and Tony Hills are not worth much.  I know Jon had his moments of decent play at LT, but he's not a starter, and is a borderline backup at best.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2011 at 12:04 »

Still think we need to add a couple of pieces here.

I'd rather see Legursky at LG than Kemo, who's too fat, stupid, and slow to stay there.  Flo is not someone I'd want to count on, due to age and injury.  Seems like between Flo and Colon we're gambling one stays healthy.

The Scotts and Tony Hills are not worth much.  I know Jon had his moments of decent play at LT, but he's not a starter, and is a borderline backup at best.

Agree here.  Legs played well enough on Sunday to earn a spot, just not center.  Kemo is a flippin hot head who does stupid shit too often.  He needs to move on.
While I agree that DB is a burning need, what I wouldn't give to have some leverage to draft Pouncey Part Deux...

I'm still the one with the boobs.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2011 at 12:15 »

Having the Pounceys lock down 2/3 of the IOL would radically later the nature of our line, from small center bookended by two slow-footed behemoths to a far more fleet and athletic group.  I'd be fine with Legs-Pouncey-Pouncey if Mike was on the board at... 31... still hate that draft spot, but, oh well.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2011 at 20:08 »

JBurgh, not a bad lineup, if Adams can stay healthy for a season.  but leaves a lot of "ifs" in the mix.  I'm just tired of us doing that with the offensive line.  If xxxxxxxx can stay healthy; if xxxxxxxx can improve; if xxxxxxxx can move to a new position, etc.  It's time to start plugging in some definitive answers through the draft and free agency. 

Hills is just a waste of space, IMO. 

As for Foster, Essex, and Scott:

I give Foster a little more credit.  Right side of the line was the bread and butter for the running game, and I rarely saw the guy giving up big sacks.  Didn't hear his name called much at all this season, which is the trademark of a good olineman.  The less you hear his number, the better.

Essex is a backup to be sure, but he has developed into a surprisingly good one.  He has acquitted himself fairly well when he's entered the game, and I'm pretty sure he played every position on the oline other than center for at least one play Sun. night.  There's no need to try to make him a starter because he's never going to develop any further.  He's as good as he'll ever be, and he is making a respectable career out of being a serviceable reserve. 

Scott is kind of the wild card, for this reason.  He improved dramatically as the season and the playoffs progressed.  Can he get any better?  Could he eventually displace Starks or move to RT?  Too early to say, but he seems like a fighter and I wouldn't totally count him out.  Again, at any rate, his experience this year make him a solid reserve.

Kemo is an idiot.  Damn near cost us the Ravoons game.  As a side note, I'm starting to think KFox has Kemo's same intelligence level.

Still hoping we might get the tackle from USC, Pouncey Jr., or just about anyone else who can shore up this group.  Time to protect The Franchise.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2011 at 21:25 »

Having the Pounceys lock down 2/3 of the IOL would radically later the nature of our line, from small center bookended by two slow-footed behemoths to a far more fleet and athletic group.  I'd be fine with Legs-Pouncey-Pouncey if Mike was on the board at... 31... still hate that draft spot, but, oh well.

31 does suck.  It's sorta the biggest loser.  Drafting practically as far back as The World Champ, just without the confetti & gatorade shower.  It's tough to bitch though... I guess I can live with drafting 31st twice for every (6) 32's.

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
I Steel Believe
N00b

« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 06:33 »

I'd like to see an upgrade, be it draft or FA at the LT position and put Starks back at RT.

And it seems like the majority of us agree on Colon being a better fit ar RG.

As for LG, Kemo probably isn't going anywhere, they seem to like him, depite his boneheadedness.

Legursky, I'm still not sold on this guy as being anything more than a back up.  Yes, we didn't hear Raji's name mentioned much, but that was partially because they were double teaming Raji...which left the Tackles on an island, which seemed to show on Ben's first INT, the one returned for a TD.
I could be wrong, but I still see him as just a nice valuable back up interior lineman.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 13:45 »

Legursky, I'm still not sold on this guy as being anything more than a back up.  Yes, we didn't hear Raji's name mentioned much, but that was partially because they were double teaming Raji...which left the Tackles on an island, which seemed to show on Ben's first INT, the one returned for a TD.
I could be wrong, but I still see him as just a nice valuable back up interior lineman.

I thought it was Kemo's guy that got through to cause the errant pass returned for a TD.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 15:10 »

I thought it was Kemo's guy that got through to cause the errant pass returned for a TD.

Thought so too...

If we did draft Pouncey, we could have an IOL of Pouncey-Legursky-Pouncey.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 15:16 »

How is Pouncey regarded?  Is #31 a realistic place to get him?  It would be cool to have double Pounceys on the OL.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 15:30 »

How is Pouncey regarded?  Is #31 a realistic place to get him?  It would be cool to have double Pounceys on the OL.

My take is that he's seen as close to but not equal to Mo, based on the fact that he had more trouble snapping at Florida.  He's nearly a lock for R1, and likely to go before 1.31 IMO.  I think he could easily get drafted in the 20s (1.23 Philly, 1.26 Balty, 1.29 Chi most prominently), and he won't last past 10 picks into R2 if he were to get past us.  My guess is someone else gets him unless we move up, but it's possible he drops to us.  Most have him or Wisniewski as the top C/G, although Wis might be the better pure C.  Still, Mike would have that position flex to be, at worst, a backup backup C.

The Eagles need line help, and they like the big boys.  Hell, I'd trade Kemo and 1.31 for 1.23 and their R3 or R4 pick.  They get a starting OG (Kemo) for a mid, and we upgrade our front, win-win.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 16:02 »

The Eagles need line help, and they like the big boys.  Hell, I'd trade Kemo and 1.31 for 1.23 and their R3 or R4 pick.  They get a starting OG (Kemo) for a mid, and we upgrade our front, win-win.

This, I like!

Kemo is just too infuriating.  Looks like a world-beater for a few plays, maybe an entire game; then looks like a dog or just does something stupid.

Am I correct that trades cannot be made on draft day if there is no CBA?

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 17:43 »

Evrything I've seen so far has him going around 20.  That may be a little high, but now he's got legacy status.  When your brother goes Pro Bowl at a tough position as a rook, teams will pay extra for that bloodline.  See Manning, Eli.  If he's Eli Smith no way he goes #1 overall.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 18:03 »

Evrything I've seen so far has him going around 20.  That may be a little high, but now he's got legacy status.  When your brother goes Pro Bowl at a tough position as a rook, teams will pay extra for that bloodline.  See Manning, Eli.  If he's Eli Smith no way he goes #1 overall.

Some folks thought 1.18 was high for Mo; I think that's changed.  Mike played DL a year, then OG, then OC, so his technique isn't there, but hell, these guys are young, athletic, malleable.  I think 1.23 is critical: if no one trades up, Eagles take him (unless they love an OT).  Should be some OTs floating down to that level, and 1.31, but Pouncey and Wisniewski IMO are much better relative to position than the OTs are at that spot.  In short, I could wait till R2 or R3 and get less dropoff at OT (weak class, but still value there) than I could with the OGs. 

The Pouncey Creature Double Feature would be a dominant IOL.  If we can't get Pouncey I'm hoping CB Jimmy Smith is there.  Maybe one of the OTs.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 20:37 »

That's good to know.  I like the Kemo and a pick trade, the big guy is a mauler, but those personal fouls kill drives.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
I Steel Believe
N00b

« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2011 at 01:32 »

You may be right Kluisi. I'd check now but I don't know if I can force myself to see it right now.
Oh what the heck...hold on....

...You're right, that was Kemo who gave up that one. (damn that just hurt hurt to watch again)

I also just watched the Mendenhall fumble again. Legursky completely missed his guy. His assignment was to pull and seal the right side, along with Johnson, who lined up at FB, and they both completely missed their blocks. Legursky seemed to overrun his, so it wasn't like he was manhandled. But that play really hurt us. He's only 24 and maybe with more experience he will be starter-worthy...but I'm not sold on him long term.

I like Finnegan's idea of Kemo and a pick to move up as well.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2011 at 01:35 by I Steel Believe » Logged
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2011 at 07:45 »

You may be right Kluisi. I'd check now but I don't know if I can force myself to see it right now.

I'll never watch this Super Bowl again.  Still haven't seen a replay of '95.  Soon as the 4th down pass fell incomplete, I deleted it from the DVR.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2011 at 07:58 »

I'm right there with you.  Deleted immediately.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2011 at 08:01 »

Still haven't seen a replay of '95

Mrs. Preach gets furious at me every year because I watch the 30 min. NFL films thing about SB30 at least once every year.  I keep hoping it will somehow end differently, and I end up cursing Neil ODonnell and talking about gamblers/payoffs/point-shaving.

The whole thing blows.  Oughtta be 8 for 8 and perfect against the Cowgirls, cause we had those SOBs right where we wanted them.

And yes, I still believe ODonnell was bought off and I will never be convinced of anything else.

Anyway...get an oline that can keep Ben in one piece.

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2011 at 08:50 »

I'll never watch this Super Bowl again.  Still haven't seen a replay of '95.  Soon as the 4th down pass fell incomplete, I deleted it from the DVR.

Ha, I'm with you there. The second I got home it was deleted. Still got Indy 06, Denver 06, Balty 08, Sandiego 08, and this year's Balty and jets game if I need an offseason fix.
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2011 at 09:22 »

Yea, ditto.  Watched the game at a friends' gathering and as I got home, walked in the door, turned on the TV and hit DELETE.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2011 at 09:42 »

Glad to see I'm not the only one.  Preach, why torture yourself?

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2011 at 10:44 »

Glad to see I'm not the only one.  Preach, why torture yourself?

It's part of his penance for other sins in his life.
At least that's the only explanation I can come up with.

Couldn't pay me to watch this one, or SBXXX again.

I'm still the one with the boobs.
DrRockit
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2011 at 10:50 »

It's interesting that so many had a copy and deleted it.  The first thing I did when I got home was download it.  When watching a game I tend to follow the ball, but I like to re-watch it looking at o-line and d-line play....  even the painful losses.   Sometimes I have to watch a play 5 times to figure out what actually happened.

I Steel Believe
N00b

« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2011 at 01:38 »

It's interesting that so many had a copy and deleted it.  The first thing I did when I got home was download it.  When watching a game I tend to follow the ball, but I like to re-watch it looking at o-line and d-line play....  even the painful losses.   Sometimes I have to watch a play 5 times to figure out what actually happened.
Yeah, I totally understand those who deleted it right away, but like you, I see things I missed the first time around.
And it has come in handy in a few debates so far. 
Like the play Sanders got hurt on where he had the 1st down and it appeared he ran backward too far and was given a lucky ball spot.  Actually, it was a good spot. I thought it was lucky at first but at the point he was hit and began getting driven back, the ball was still past the 1st downmarker.

The Mendenhall fumble and how both GB defenders got through. Although we still have to hold RM accountable for the fumble, I do believe after seeing it a few times that Legursky/Johnson deserve a good portion of the blame as well for both completely missing their assignments, which were right in front of them.

Also, the controversial "Was it a catch and fumble recovered by GB, or an incompletion" play to the GB WR.  It was the correct call, it was NOT a catch.
DrRockit
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2011 at 09:21 »

Also, on the pick six, Kemo's man blew right by him.  He was literally untouched and Ben had every reason to think he'd have another second to throw the ball.

I still think that going long from our 8, especially after we had just proved we could move the ball on the ground on the previous drive, shows all the play-calling acumen of a retarded monkey throwing darts at a playsheet, but that's a different story. 
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2011 at 10:34 »

Also, on the pick six, Kemo's man blew right by him.  He was literally untouched and Ben had every reason to think he'd have another second to throw the ball.

I still think that going long from our 8, especially after we had just proved we could move the ball on the ground on the previous drive, shows all the play-calling acumen of a retarded monkey throwing darts at a playsheet, but that's a different story. 

Yep, we need to upgrade LG.

Also, nice comment on BA. 

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: