Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 31, 2014 at 03:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tyron Smith, OT, USC  (Read 1074 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Dec 15, 2010 at 12:56 »

My first round pick for the 2011 draft.

6'5" and 285#, played mostly RT at USC but has the speed and agility to kick over to the left.  He's only 20, and he may be too light for a lot of teams right now (converted TE), so if that means he slides to late R1 grand.  I'm gonna guess he gets to 290-295# for the combine and runs under 5.0.  Be interesting to see how many reps he puts up, as strenght and conditioning will be needed -- probably need a year to get to optimal weight, but Pouncey has shown a motivated player can learn on the job, and frankly we don't have anyone here who would keep Smith from playing.

CB in R2.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2010 at 13:07 »

My first round pick for the 2011 draft.

6'5" and 285#, played mostly RT at USC but has the speed and agility to kick over to the left.  He's only 20, and he may be too light for a lot of teams right now (converted TE), so if that means he slides to late R1 grand.  I'm gonna guess he gets to 290-295# for the combine and runs under 5.0.  Be interesting to see how many reps he puts up, as strenght and conditioning will be needed -- probably need a year to get to optimal weight, but Pouncey has shown a motivated player can learn on the job, and frankly we don't have anyone here who would keep Smith from playing.

CB in R2.

I've liked this guy, too. I'd like us to take a quality vs. quantity approach to our two biggest problems.

In other words, take either an OT or a CB in round 1, depending on which player is available. THEN bombard whichever one we don't take in round 1 with multiple (3 or more) in the rest of the draft. We just have to find some good bodies at these positions, and it's not like we couldn't use depth. If go OT in round 1, I'd like a CB in rounds 2, 3 and 6 or 2, 4 and 5. We have to make a serious effort at these positions for once.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2010 at 13:40 »

We have Flo Adams for another year, and Colon coming back from IR (should be able to extend on the cheap now).  I've said for years, kick that big bastard inside to RG.  Find a rookie RT later in the draft where they're plentiful.

I have no idea what's going on with our CB pipeline.  Joe Burnett gets axed.  Keenan Lewis hasn't shown anything.  Crez Butler is just getting his feet wet.  Meanwhile, Ike's not young, Gay and BMac are best as nickel/dime backs.  At the very least we need one top CB to take the spot opposite Ike, and depending on how the younger guys pan maybe another top CB in 2012.

A rough outline for the draft right now:

1. LT
2. CB (Davon House?)
3. FS (Jaiquan Jarrett?)
4. DE (Cedric Thornton?)
5. OL - The guy I'm thinking here is Darius Morris, OT, Temple, who reminds me of Rodger Saffold.  He could man RT or any OG spot.
6. NT - Looking for value here.  (Anthony Gray?)
7. BPA

sysadmin7

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2010 at 21:45 »

Draft talk....I LOVE IT!

I haven't looked much into T. Smith as I (and most) figured he'd stay at USC.

As far as OT guys go in the draft, here are a few I like.

1. Derek Sherrod (Miss St.): My favorite OT prospect in the draft. Reminds me of a Ryan Clady type LT. Scouts have him all over the 1st round so it's hard to tell if he falls to us. Lot of talk about Anthony Costanzo, though I'm not feeling the love. If a team takes him in the first round they'll wish they didn't.
2. Nate Solder (Colorado): This kid could be the first OT taken off the board, though he isn't starting material off the bat. I'm pretty high on him, but right now he's projected anywhere from the 1st to 3rd round. I'd love to see a guy like this fall into our hands in the 3rd, but I doubt it. After the combine, pro day, etc he'll shoot up boards.
2. Joseph Barksdale (LSU): I didn't buy into much of his hype last season, but he isn't getting much hype now...and I'm not sure why. He's hands down the most athletic OT in the draft. I liked him as more of a LG last season, but he's showing promising signs of being a solid LT.
3. Darius Morris (Temple): This guy has Steelers lineman written all over him....he plays multiple positions. Not real athletic but strong, physical type O-lineman. I see him more of a RT/OG than a LT and should be a 2nd/3rd round grade. Never know though, could be a string of OT guys come off the board early and could fall late 4th/5th.

Local guy Jason Pinkston (Pitt) should come in and get a look. Previous knee injuries will drop him and hopefully he doesn't get drafted at all so we can pick him UDRFA style but I think he'll go at some point.

Some scout was saying T. Smith and D. Sherrod were late 2nd round grades right now...though I have a hard time buying that. I could see Smith going early 2nd but Sherrod should go 1st round, no question.

LINUX = FREEDOM
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2010 at 08:18 »

I like Sherrod, but I think he'll go higher.  Seems like there's always some upward movement of the good OTs as draft day nears, so mid-R1?  Agree on Costanzo, think he might be more a RT only.

Solder is sort of in the Tyron Smith mold, will need to get stronger, some have questioned his consistency and toughness.  I think he'll go early R2, but I have a late R2 grade right now.

Barksdale's stock is all over the map.  A lot of folks think he's a R1, and some had him rated the best OT going into the season.  I've seen NFLDS had him rated a R3 a while back, and if we could get Barksdale in R3 we'd be golden.  The only dings I can think of is the recent success rate of LSU linemen -- the seem to get overrated, drafted lower than hyped, and don't impress in the bigs (OT/OG Herman Johnson was just floating around, e.g.).  And he might not have pure foot speed.  But I think he can man LT or RT, even if he's a little slower than some guys.

Good to see we both like the Temple kid.  NFLDS has him rated R7-FA right now, but like I said, I think he's the Rodger Saffold of the draft.  Maybe not a LT, but a guy who will show good, steady fundamentals and can play OG or RT.  I think he very well may go R2/3, and wouldn't mind him there.  If we could get him later, BAM.

sysadmin7

« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2010 at 19:59 »

Barksdale's stock is all over the map.  A lot of folks think he's a R1, and some had him rated the best OT going into the season.  I've seen NFLDS had him rated a R3 a while back, and if we could get Barksdale in R3 we'd be golden.  The only dings I can think of is the recent success rate of LSU linemen -- the seem to get overrated, drafted lower than hyped, and don't impress in the bigs (OT/OG Herman Johnson was just floating around, e.g.).  And he might not have pure foot speed.  But I think he can man LT or RT, even if he's a little slower than some guys.

Good to see we both like the Temple kid.  NFLDS has him rated R7-FA right now, but like I said, I think he's the Rodger Saffold of the draft.  Maybe not a LT, but a guy who will show good, steady fundamentals and can play OG or RT.  I think he very well may go R2/3, and wouldn't mind him there.  If we could get him later, BAM.

Yeah, I wasn't high on Barksdale last season as I saw him as more of a run blocking OG, but if you go back and watch him at LT this season he looks like the best LT in the NCAA. His foot speed is what has impressed me the most this season, and unlike H. Johnson (who was a pure OG run blocker, nothing more) he's athletic, shows great foot speed, great work of his hands, rarely has been beat off an edge pass rush, hard to bull rush, etc. Barksdale's stock will soar after the combine and once scouts dig into this seasons tape. I'd LOVE to see him drop to the 3rd, but I think scouts will be all over him after they get a closer look at him.

It's hard for me to believe that D. Morris will fall into the 7th round, even as an OG (as I project him). You know the Steelers will look at him as he's a versatile player. But I'd like for us to shy away from these multiple position guys and start going after guys who can play 1 position effective with maybe 1 guy who can fill multiple roles...but I still like D. Morris. If you look at our O-line going into next season we have:

LT: M. Starks, T. Hills
LG: Kemo, C. Scott
OC: Pouncey, Legursky
RG: Essex, R. Foster
RT: Colon, F. Adams, J. Scott

Dorain Brooks (OG - James Madison) and Kyle Jolly (OT - UNC) on the practice squad.

Starks (LT), Kemo (LG), Pouncey (OC), Colon (RG) and Adams (RT) would be a solid O-line compared to what we have seen this season.
I was high on K. Jolly during the draft as I see him as a project LT. Hopefully, he stays on the roster for a year or two and shows what he has at some point. Not impressed at all with D. Brooks...I've been impressed with Hills for awhile and I'm scratching my head with J. Scott starting @ LT for the past few games. J. Scott is horrible as a LT and is better suited @ RT/OG spot. Pouncey is a main stay at OC and has played extremely well for a rookie. He has given up some sacks this season (4.5 I believe, leads the team) but he's growing. I haven't seen much of C. Scott, but I was impressed with him while he was a Tennessee (same thing for R. Foster). We need draft selections along the O-line to build for the future. If I could project a draft early right now here are a few guys I would target:

Mark Ingram: HB - Alabama (1st/2nd round): Everyone knows M. Ingram, but not much talk about him yet. IF he declares, his 225 pound frame that runs a 4.5 - 40 will turn heads at the combine. He has the perfect balance of power and speed, along with great vision and toughness. With a lack of clear O-line talent, I wouldn't mind us going HB in the 1st IF it's Ingram to push Mendy if the board looks weak. Daniel Thomas (KSU) and Roy Helu Jr. (Nebraska) come to mind in the later rounds as well. Not big on going HB in the 1st...
Ras-I-Dowling: CB/FS - Virginia (1st/2nd round): I see him more of a FS in the NFL, but he has the size and speed (6'2, 200 - 4.5 - 40) to fit our zone blitz scheme at CB. I'd like to see more of him, but what I've seen so far has me impressed. Some other CB's I'd look at from this draft....
Jimmy Smith: CB - Colorado (3rd round): Another big frame speed corner who's physical. (counter part Jahlil Brown is worth a look as well.)
Brandon Burton: CB - Utah (2nd/3rd):
DeMarcus Van Dyke: CB - Miami (5th round): Another big frame corner (6' 1 - 185) with solid (4.5 - 40) speed. Projects as a zone corner and has been over shadowed by his counter-part B. Harris.
Jason Teague: CB/FS - TCU (6th/7th round): Late round prospect with tons of upside. Projects as either a CB or FS hybrid. Another tall kid with 4.5 speed.
Jerrell Powe: NT - Ole Miss (1st/2nd round): Another space eating NT who has the power and push of a bull dozer. 340 pounds, future replacement for C. Hampton. This also would free up C. Hoke to fill in at DE if Keisel/Smith go down. I like P. Taylor better who can be had in the later rounds freeing up the 1st/2nd round for other positions.
Mike Pouncey: OC/OG - Florida (1st): Ah, the famous "kiss" scene part 2? LMAO. I could see us taking him in the late 1st so they can love on each other during practice....but all jokes aside, I like Mike better than Maurkice. Starting LG right away, moving Kemo to RG where he is much better suited.
Derreck Sherrod: OT - Mississippi State (1st/2nd): My #1 OT prospect coming out. He's a mix of the LT from Boise St I loved a few years back that went to Denver and the kid at Baltimore who they made a movie about. Names escape me....
Greg Jones: ILB (3-4) - Michigan St: Not sure we look at him, and I'm not big on taking more LB's....BUT, I'm real high on Jones and he could unseat J. Farrior right now giving us an upgrade at the ILB position with more athletic ability. ILB isn't a real need, but if nothing else is available in the 1st I wouldn't mind giving him a look. (doubt he falls to us though).
Marcus Cannon: OG - TCU: Another OG prospect who will move up draft charts.
Owen Marecic: FB/ILB - Stanford: Man I love a FB like this. Plays both sides of the ball, can line up at TE, loves to block, loves to hit, can run the football. Peyton Hillis Part II - Book it. Every time I see John Kuhn in Green Bay I want to puke...FYI. Who needs a guy like that, huh Bruce ya Jack Wagon.
Phil Taylor: NT - Baylor: Another 350 beast projected anywhere from the 3rd to 5th round. Hampton needs a backup and I'd love to see C. Hoke fill in at DE as a backup. Weight is a concern...but what true 3-4 NT's isn't? I actually like him better than J. Powe and he can be had in the later rounds. I'd target Taylor but after him that's about all I'd look at for NT. There is some kid from Hampton, but I'm not impressed. We need to target a NT and Taylor is the guy.
Schuylar Oordt: TE - N. Iowa: Look for him at the Shrine Bowl, reminds of a B. Celek mold. Blocks well and has great hands. Not sure where he'll go in the draft.
Eric Peitz: TE - Colorado State: Another late round TE that can block and has solid hands.
Lee Ziemba: OT - Auburn: Prior knee injuries are a concern, but should be a late round guy who could add some depth and be a steal. Has all the talent and abilities to start at the next level but will drop due to injury concern.
Will Rackley: OG - Lehigh: Small school prospect but looks like a small school sleeper. Should be worth a look.
Matt Szczur: WR/RB/KR/whatever - Villanova: I really like this kid as he just does it all. He lines at WR, HB and even QB at times. Also a PR/KR guy. He looks like a better version of D. Woodhead (another guy I was high on coming out of college) who would benefit from bulking up a bit more and learning on the sidelines for a year. I really like this kid, plays a lot tougher than his size.
Deunta Williams: FS - North Carolina: Suspension aside, this kid can ball. Worth a look in the 1st round if we want to replace R. Clark at some point.
Chris L. Rucker - FS/CB, Michigan State: Another tweener type player who can play either the CB or FS position. Late round guy with solid speed 4.5 and height.
Chris Prosinski: FS - Wyoming: Another late round kid I'm high on. Kid loves football, loves to hit, plays the run well and is solid at pass coverage. There might not be a better tackling safety in the draft.
Brett Greenwood: FS - Iowa: I'd rather have Prosinski, but he's another FS who I could see playing and starting for a team like the Jets or San Diego. Another late round guy with a chance to produce in the NFL.
Casey Matthews (LB) - Oregon: Brother of stud LB at Green Bay. Has the pedigree and nastiness....but lacks the speed. Could turn into a solid 3-4 ILB. another 4th round and back guy who could turn some heads.
Alex Wujiciak (ILB) - Maryland: I've watched this kid make play after play and always be around the football.

A mix of prospects just to get started....
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2010 at 20:02 by sysadmin7 » Logged

LINUX = FREEDOM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: