Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 20, 2014 at 17:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: starting it off  (Read 1178 times)
TwistedLemon

« on: Mar 14, 2011 at 06:59 »

So each season I toss off a few mocks, largely because I have nothing better to do at this time I post them.

This season is no different.  As is the case each season, I fully expect it to be shredded apart by Finny and the other draft guru's, but what the hell........

1.  Derek Sherrod   OT    Miss St
2.  Ras I Dawling     CB    Virginia
3.  Will Rackley      OG     Lehigh
4.  Chris Culliver     FS     South Carolna
5.  Richard Sherman   CB/ST   Stanford
6.  Chris Neild        DT      WVU
7.  Mike Person      OT/OG    Montana St

Have at it fellas (and ladies)

"My reality check bounced"
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2011 at 12:50 »

Just off the top of my head I think that's a good draft, good matching of value and needs.  My biggest concern is Ras-I and his injuries, and whether he might actually be a better FS than CB.  I like Sherrod more than a some folks do, think he could potentially play LT.  That'd be a good pick in my book.  Not sure about Ras-I, but it would be a solid pick.  I've liked Rackley for a while now, good addition and a good value.  Culliver would be a very nice value there, as would Sherman.  I think Neild would be fine, but would likely be a practice squadder.  Don't know Person quite so much.

Good draft, heavy on need.  I might be tempted to add in an ILB after R4 to compete with Sly and push the old dogs.  Maybe use the R7 for a TE, in case Spaeth doesn't come back.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
TwistedLemon

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2011 at 14:01 »

As usual, I have done very little research.  I did waste some $ on the sporting news draft magazine....dont bother

Other info I pulled from the cbs.com player profiles in their draft section.  This is what I used for potential availability at the time around when we would be picking.  Also did not account for any supplemental picks (dont know what they are if any), but my thoughts for them were for ILB, possible TE (for the reasons you stated) and possible punter (one that can make it through a season)

We share some similiar thoughts.  I too am a little higher on Sherrod than some others.  Some question his overall strength.

I will include exerpts from the cbs site on each player, as well as some of my own commentary here and there:

1.  Derek Sherrod   OT    Miss St
Pass blocking: Good initial quickness. Eases out of his stance and has the lateral agility and balance to mirror the defender. Good hand strength and has long arms that he uses to latch onto and control his opponent. Generally plays with good knee-bend and leverage, but can lose his anchor when he tires. Can become fundamentally lazy and lean into the defender; gets knocked off-balance and gives up the inside lane. Should improve in this area with greater focus on his technique, but has an upside-down triangle build due to broad shoulders and relatively narrow hips, making him top-heavy and susceptible to being overpowered. Among his better attributes is his recognition. Recognizes the blitz coming and gets a good initial pop on his primary target (defensive end) before passing him off to the guard and working his way outside to catch the rushing linebacker or stunting defensive tackle.

Run blocking: Comes off the ball too high and lacks the pad level and power to consistently knock defenders off the line. Good quickness and hand strength to turn and seal off defenders from the play. Good recognition to release from double-team and get out to the second level. Scouts would like to see him finish blocks with more authority before releasing.

Pulling/trapping: Good initial quickness to release to the second level, but has only average agility to re-direct in the open field. Locates his target, but has to do a better job of anticipating where the defender is going. Isn't fluid enough to change direction and hit the moving target. Too often extends his arms, "catching" the linebacker, which could result in penalty flags when playing against NFL-caliber athletes. Good trap blocker due to his initial quickness, big frame and recognition.

Initial Quickness: Good, though not elite, initial quickness off the snap. Has the agility and long arms to handle most right defensive ends (and thus remain at left tackle), but due to the fact that he is a bit top-heavy and lacks elite balance, is susceptible to quick jab-steps outside and spin or counter moves back to the inside. Is quick enough in the running game to turn and seal off the defender, creating a wall from which the running back can bounce off from.

Downfield: Gives good effort to block downfield. Above-average straight-line speed, though his average balance keeps him from being as effective at the second level as his speed and size would indicate. Gets in the way of defenders and has the wingspan to alter their path, but struggles re-directing his charge.

Intangibles: Was one of 16 players to win the storied National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame (NFF) Award, which includes a post-graduate $18,000 scholarship. Earned his degree in business with a 3.54 GPA. Is the third Bulldog to win the award and the first since 1989. Team leader voted a captain in 2010. A four-year member of the M-Club, MSU's student-athlete community service organization, he has spent considerable time with the youth of Mississippi. He has served breakfast at Sudduth Elementary School, participated in Sudduth's Kids Fair and read to local students to promote literacy. He has also organized a Thanksgiving food drive.  Started 34 games and appeared in 46 contests for his career.

CBS Site ranks him #5 at his position and 31 overall.

2.  Ras I Dawling     CB    Virginia
Rated on CBS as the #9 corner and number 69 overall player

Read & React: Experienced corner who has seen all the tricks. Rarely out of position, even against double-moves, due to his instincts and vision. Keeps an eye on the quarterback and breaks on the ball quickly. Height and long arms make it very difficult to beat him over the top.

Man Coverage: Has the long arms and good upper-body strength for an effective jam at the line of scrimmage. Is often able to disrupt route timing. Good balance and opens up his hips smoothly. Can lose a step in transition but has surprisingly good acceleration and at least fair straight-line speed. Rides the receiver downfield, keeping good contact throughout the route. Faster on the field than he'll be on the stopwatch.

Zone Coverage: Savvy zone coverage defender. High in his backpedal, but is surprisingly fluid. Keeps his eyes on the quarterback, but has a good sense of where his receiver is. Will bait the passer into making the throw. Reacts quickly because of his vision and acceleration.

Closing/Recovery: Lacks elite recovery speed, making him susceptible to double-moves by NFL route-runners. Shows good instincts, however, and his rare height and arm length make throwing over the top of him dangerous. Locates the football quickly and is an explosive leaper with good timing and good ball skills.

Run Support: Reads run quickly and fights through receiver blocks efficiently through lateral agility and good upper-body strength. Willing to take on bigger ballcarriers with no hesitation. Uses the sideline to help defend the run. Understands his role in keeping contain and pushes the action back inside when he can't make the play. Willing to take on blocks to free up teammates for the easy stop.

Tackling: Good balance and lateral agility to handle tackling smaller, quicker players in the open field. Breaks down well and makes strong, secure tackles. Likes to intimidate his opponent with big hits. Will hit-lift-drive the ballcarrier into the ground when he can, resulting in impressive stops. Good pursuit and takes good angles to the ball, masking a lack of elite straight-line speed.

Intangibles: Played a postgrad season for coach Robert Prunty at Hargrave Military Academy following his senior year at Deep Creek High School. Had appeared in 35 of a possible 37 games for the Cavaliers prior to his senior season. Only started twice in five games played in 2010 due to injuries. Fractured his left ankle Nov. 13 against Maryland. Well respected teammate. Hard worker. Team captain in 2010. Nominee for the 2010 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team

3.  Will Rackley      OG     Lehigh

Number 5 guard, 99 overall
Projects at G, but started for 4 years at LT for Lehigh.
All-America candidate … a two-time All-League selection, earning First-Team All-Patriot League honors in both of his last two seasons … expected to start along the offensive line … one of the top offensive linemen in the entire country … bench presses 440 pounds.

4.  Chris Culliver     FS     South Carolna
Number 5 FS, number 125 overall
Positives: Showed good instincts as a free safety. While aggressive, Culliver was rarely out of position and showed the discipline to stay home on trick plays and misdirection. Reads the eyes of the quarterback and gets a good break on the ball. Normal acceleration with a late burst to close. Quick, active hands in press coverage. Understands zone concepts and due to his experience at free safety and cornerback, understands the role of each member of the secondary. Has quick feet to stop, pivot and accelerate quickly. Competes for the jump ball well, showing an explosive vertical and good timing. Shows a late burst to close. Has natural return skills. Prefers to cut the legs out from under the ball-carrier for his tackles, but is more than willing to lower his pads and lead with the shoulder.

Negatives: Flashes good hands for the press, but gets off-balance and can allow the receiver too easy of a release. Loses a step as he turns to run. A bit grabby with his hands in man coverage. Backpedal is high and choppy. Generally a reliable open-field tackler, but can get out of control in his pursuit and leave cutback lanes. Questionable ball skills despite being a returner and former receiver. Has only intercepted three of 14 passes broken up over his career, including zero of his 11 opportunities the past two years.

Culliver's lanky frame and good speed make him an intriguing candidate as a press corner or potential option to be moved back to free safety. Either way, his versatility and return skills (South Carolina's career leader with 2,476 kick return yards) should result in a mid round selection, if he's able to reassure teams of his health.

5.  Richard Sherman   CB/ST   Stanford
28 CB and 219 overall
6-2 and 192 pounds, started 12 of 13 games for Stanford this season. He posted 50 tackles and led The Cardinal with 13 passes broken up, including four interceptions. The lanky Sherman has the height teams are looking for in a press corner, but has struggled, at times, in coverage.  Played most of first 3 season as WR

6.  Chris Neild        DT      WVU
6'2  313 lbs
20 at position, 222 overall
A Three year starter for the Mountaineers and a first team All-BIG EAST selection this season. He recorded 35 tackles, four tackles for loss and three sacks in 2010 and was a part of a defensive unit that ranked first in the BIG EAST and third in the nation in total defense (261.1 ypg). Neild leaves West Virginia with 130 total tackles, 11 tackles for loss and six sacks.
Every season I toss in one WVU player (Fan Bias).  This is one who was a leader on the defense (ranked 3rd in the nation last year) where he has been the Nose of a 3 man front for 3 years as the starter.  Experience pays off.

7.  Mike Person      OT/OG    Montana St
ranked as #14 guard, and 267 overall
Enters the fall as MSU's starting right tackle … elected a Bobcat captain during spring drills by his teammates … has started the last 34 straight games at that position for the Bobcats … MSU's most decorated player during the spring, earning the program's Chuck Karnop Award for Toughness and a D'Agostino Family Strength Award for his work in the weight room.  Career was spent at RT

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2011 at 09:25 »

The more I look at this mock, TL, the more I really like it.

If we got that R1-4, I'd be ecstatic.  I might switch Anthony Gray for Neild, and maybe do some other day 3 swaps, but whatever.  Solid mock, great at the top.  I might steal the early part of your mock in my 2011 draft discussion.  I'll call it the Twisted Lemon model draft...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
TwistedLemon

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2011 at 14:28 »

You steal and do whatever you like.  The more I read your review in the other thread, the more this seems to fall into place.  Of course, my "add ins" based on any compensatory picks still need to be in there, which might change some of the later rounds.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: