Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 21, 2014 at 09:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bring Back Plex?  (Read 2411 times)
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« on: Feb 12, 2011 at 14:41 »

OK I think I kno what the overwhelming response to this idea will be, but hear me out. 

Hines is getting up there in age
We need a legit 2
Sweed is not the answer
All of our WR's (minus Sweed) are 6'0" or less

I do not think we can pick a FA or draft pick that would be better than Plex...

From ESPN.com

Though he hasn't yet been released from prison, wide receiver Plaxico Burress is already leaving an impression on the NFL.

On Saturday, Burress' agent Drew Rosenhaus joined the chorus of those saying the imprisoned wide receiver looks to be in good shape and could help an NFL team.

"[Burress] is doing great! He is running & lifting weights 5 days a week," Rosenhaus tweeted after visiting Burress in jail Saturday. "He looks in terrific shape."

Burress, who will be released on June 6, has also caught the eye of former New York Giants and Pittsburgh Steelers teammates.

Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora, who has also visited Burress, said last week he'd be happy to see the 6-foot-5 receiver back on the field.

"He looks great. He is lean; he is in good shape. He's focused and he seems happy. I just can't wait for him to come out and I think he is going to have a great impact a la Michael Vick," Umenyiora said.

Giants quarterback Eli Manning has even gone so far to say that reuniting with his once favored target "could be a good thing."

Burress, 33, has not played in the league since accidentally shooting himself in the leg with an unlicensed handgun while at a night club on November 28, 2008, but hopes to return to the NFL.

"We talked at length about his future in the NFL & he.....can't wait to get back on the football field in 2011," Rosenhaus tweeted. "He is mentally & physically strong right now and is looking forward to the future!"

The Giants aren't the only team with players rooting for a Burress comeback. Hines Ward, who was teammates with Burress in Pittsburgh from 2000 to 2005, said he'd welcome a Steelers reunion.

"I know he's getting out pretty soon," Ward said during Super Bowl XLV media day. "For all I know, we'll end up getting Plax on our team. He'll be welcomed with open arms. ... [It was] an unfortunate incident, and I prayed for him a lot. I had some good years with Plax."

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2011 at 15:23 »

I'd bring him into camp, if only for hearing "he's in the best shape..."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2011 at 15:28 »

Hines is 34 and is "getting up there in age," but Plaxico is 33 (with a year and some change out of the game) and he's going to help us?

Glad he's focused and happy and has been running and lifting weights.  

I'd prefer to develop the WRs we have and if necessary, add another guy as a draft flyer.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2011 at 22:02 »

WTF is his agent going to say?

"Plax has lost a coupla steps, and really isn't in that good of shape, but I think someone should sign him anyway"?

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
I Steel Believe
N00b

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2011 at 06:12 »

My initial answer is "No, he's too old, hasn't played in a long time, by the time he shakes off the rust he'd probly be a year older, etc"
BUT, maybe it isn't such a bad idea. What is he 6'6 or 6'7.  That'd be a nice target for Ben.

As long as it doesn't come at the expense of cutting Sanders or Brown, I want to see more from these 2.
A trio of Ward, Wallace & Burress could potentially be very effective.

But then who goes?
Are we ready to give up on Sweed?  I want to say no, not yet, but I think maybe it's time to.
Randle El maybe. But he signed a 3 yr deal I believe. So I don't see them cutting him until at least after the 2011 season.

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2011 at 06:17 by I Steel Believe » Logged
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2011 at 09:44 »

No.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2011 at 10:27 »

Just say, "NO!" to Plaximo.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2011 at 11:44 »

Translation: One of the 400,000 questions to Hines Ward during Super Bowl week involved Plex. Espn Writer A took the quote and turned into a story about the Steeler's interest in Plex.

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2011 at 20:13 »

No, no, and no.

We've got 3 young guys to develop, Ward is still a solid #4.  Heat can provide the big target if needed. 

Deep target?  Sure, he's shorter, but who do you prefer on a deep route?  33 year old Plex or Wallace?

The Michael Vick-style rebirth doesn't happen often.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2011 at 09:47 »

Also, FWIW, if they're gonna take a shot on a FA WR, there are a lot of better options out there this year.  There's no shortage of FA talent at this position.

Shit, at this point, I'd give TO consideration over Burress.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: