Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 10:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DB Coach Horton, Deshea now with Steelers West  (Read 396 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Feb 10, 2011 at 08:15 »

After declining to allow DC-in-waiting Keith Butler to interview with the Cards, they (and a few other teams) came asking after Ray Horton.  Congrats to Ray, and thanks for working with... well, what you had to work with.  Ain't easy making chicken salad out of lemons.  Deshea seems like a natural for a coach, would have been nice to get him here.

Quote from: PPG
Steelers lose DBs coach to Arizona

Article Tools EmailPrint
Steelers lose DBs coach to Arizona
Thursday, February 10, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The loss of secondary coach Ray Horton to the Arizona Cardinals might be the only change to the Steelers coaching staff for 2011.

Coach Mike Tomlin wants to retain both coordinators who are in the final year of their contracts -- Dick LeBeau on defense and Bruce Arians on offense -- and does not plan changes at any other coaching positions.

Horton, a secondary coach with the Steelers since 2004, was hired as the Cardinals defensive coordinator Wednesday after interviewing in Tempe, Ariz., with Cardinals coach and former Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

Horton became the leading candidate when the Steelers prevented linebackers coach Keith Butler from interviewing for that position. Whisenhunt was looking for someone who had worked with LeBeau to run Arizona's 3-4 defense, which ranked 29th in the National Football League in 2010.

Horton has worked with LeBeau for 12 seasons, including five with the Cincinnati Bengals.

Whisenhunt wanted to hire Butler as his defensive coordinator after the 2008 season, but Butler declined the opportunity because he was having hip-replacement surgery and could not devote the necessary time installing the defense with the Cardinals. Instead, Whisenhunt hired Billy Davis, a former Steelers assistant who had worked under Dom Capers, to be defensive coordinator.

Davis was fired last month after the Cardinals finished 5-9 and allowed 434 points, third most in the league. They also had the worst rushing defense in the NFC, allowing an average of 145.2 yards per game -- nearly 83 yards more than the Steelers' league-leading average (62.Cool.

Horton becomes the fifth former Steelers assistant to join Whisenhunt's staff since he became head coach in 2007.

"We're going to be an aggressive, disciplined, downhill, attacking defense," Horton said at an introductory news conference. "We're going to get after the quarterback. I'm here to say right now, the first call is going to be a blitz, no question about it."

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2011 at 08:48 »

Seems like we have a different secondary coach every year and do fine. Like you said he did a good job with what we had. Of course nice to see Butler hanging around, hopefully he makes the life-after-**** transition easy.

Congrats to Deshea, one of my all-time favorites. Talk about a guy who made the most of his ability year in and year out.
jburghfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2011 at 11:52 »

Best thing about a SB45 victory.....

Arians would be a HC somewhere.....
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2011 at 12:03 »

Best thing about a SB45 victory.....

Arians would be a HC somewhere.....

No need to kick us all in the 'nads, the loss is difficult enough as it is.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2011 at 12:38 »

Was always a fan of Deshea.  Classic "wily vet DB."

Wonder if Pittsburgh ever considered reSINGING him after the Colts waived him this year?  Couldn't have been any worse than Ant Madison.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: