Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 02, 2014 at 09:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It stings...BUT....  (Read 638 times)
I Steel Believe
N00b

« on: Feb 14, 2011 at 22:42 »

I'm not trying to sound "too" upbeat, but damn I'm actually very excited about the future of this team and I also think a CBA gets done in time.

But as for the pain of losing SB XLV...maybe it's having won 2 recent SBs that helps cushion the blow a little bit, but I'm not 6 feet from the edge like I use to be.
It hurts, don't get me wrong, it use to KILL me.  
I (and some of you) remember the 70's and we waited a LONG, LONG TIME.

And in 92 when the team began to return to glory, it was one heartbreak after another.  
If it wasn't the Montana lead Chiefs it was the fucking Alfered Papunu's of the Chargers.
We've witnessed what has seemed to be a plethora of home AFCC games that always seemed to end in heartbreak.
Then when we FINALLY returned to the SB, we brought a QB that had just set an NFL record for lowest INT ratio in the regular season and ironically, he throws 2 INTs that literally GAVE a SB away.
Then came the instant highs and instant lows of the Kordell Stewart era...
Then came another home AFCC game in 2004, following a 15-1 season only to see the Pats again end our season.

But then came 2005...
And in contrast to the hell that lasted 26 years, the last 6 have been awesome.
And this is a well built team that most other teams fans would kill to have.

Every team has age at certain positions, areas of weakness at certain positions. This organization has proved that they usually address those areas very capably, and I can't wait for 2011.  The future IS bright.

Oh and fuck what they say about the following year for the team that loses the SB.  Ask those folks what their sample size is of the Steelers following a SB loss.  

I sense a very hungry 2011 Steeler team...

Invigorated by a new CBA...
Rejuvenated by the youth of the Ziggys, Pounceys, Woodleys, Wallaces and Mendenhalls.
Inspired by the possible final years of the Wards & Farriors.
Seasoned with a nucleus in their prime.
Matured, with a group of very young players that now have already played in a SB.
And supported by the greatest fans in the NFL.

....I STEEL believe.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2011 at 22:56 by I Steel Believe » Logged
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2011 at 08:28 »

*waving Terrible Towel overhead*

But as for the pain of losing SB XLV...maybe it's having won 2 recent SBs that helps cushion the blow a little bit, but I'm not 6 feet from the edge like I use to be.

I hear ya, the '95 loss hurt more than this one.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2011 at 10:09 »

I hear ya, the '95 loss hurt more than this one.

That one will always eat at me. Get the ball back, down 3 and I'm sensing a 3rd 4 point win over Dallas for a SB.

I'm still not sure how this year's team even made it to the SB. Was there a single impressive reg season win over a quality opponent? Week one? The game Troy stole @ Balty?

Then 3 playoff games where they only play a half, yet still win two of them.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2011 at 11:07 »

Oh and fuck what they say about the following year for the team that loses the SB.  Ask those folks what their sample size is of the Steelers following a SB loss.

Well, they did miss the playoffs the following season after their last two SB wins in '05 and '08.

Just sayin'.

With a franchise QB and a solid defense, the team's always got a shot.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2011 at 12:28 »

Well, they did miss the playoffs the following season after their last two SB wins in '05 and '08.

Just sayin'.

With a franchise QB and a solid defense, the team's always got a shot.

I think there is a big difference here.  We WON those, leading to a certain degree of arrogance and complacency.  The bitter taste of losing one will drive this team, at least I hope so.

Let's also hope that Ben can stay off the motorcycles, out of Vegas hotel rooms, and away from college campuses.  I believe he will.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2011 at 20:02 »

It still stings.

I can barely bring myself to post.  If it weren't for the reassuring presence of Y2J.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: