Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 29, 2014 at 04:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lockout - 2011  (Read 7994 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 11:34 »

Shocked.  Completely shocked with the 11th hour extension.

Still think it's just the owners trying to save face as many in the public eye are blaming them for the looming lockout.

I'll be equally as shocked if anything comes from this.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2011 at 11:07 »

Looks like you're not going to be shocked. 

The players are right, but they are probably going to lose.  What amazes me in all this is the utter ignorance that most people have of labor negotiations and the entire situation.  Of course, down here in the south, organized labor of any kind is pretty much viewed as a sign of the advent of the Four Horsemen riding through the sky, but still.

People on our show and talk radio keep saying how "greedy" the players are because they are "all millionaires."  Aside from the fact that many players are far from being that rich, are they missing the fact that the owners are all BILLIONAIRES???  The general public is apparently too ignorant to distinguish between a lockout and a strike.

I ask this:  If your boss walked in and said, "Hey, I need you to take a 15% across-the-board pay cut," would you just say, "Sure, no problem!"  ESPECIALLY if you knew that he had thousands stashed away for a Rainy Day?  That's exactly what the owners are asking players to do. 

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Mar 11, 2011 at 11:26 »

Looks like you're not going to be shocked. 

The players are right, but they are probably going to lose.  What amazes me in all this is the utter ignorance that most people have of labor negotiations and the entire situation.  Of course, down here in the south, organized labor of any kind is pretty much viewed as a sign of the advent of the Four Horsemen riding through the sky, but still.

People on our show and talk radio keep saying how "greedy" the players are because they are "all millionaires."  Aside from the fact that many players are far from being that rich, are they missing the fact that the owners are all BILLIONAIRES???  The general public is apparently too ignorant to distinguish between a lockout and a strike.

I ask this:  If your boss walked in and said, "Hey, I need you to take a 15% across-the-board pay cut," would you just say, "Sure, no problem!"  ESPECIALLY if you knew that he had thousands stashed away for a Rainy Day?  That's exactly what the owners are asking players to do. 

Why do I get the feeling that this is getting played out in every state legislature and our congress in D.C,?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Mar 11, 2011 at 14:44 »

I tells ya, the more I read on it, the more I waffle back and forth as to which side is more at fault.

Unfortunately, it's just not that cut and dry.  Don't forget that the owners assume ALL the risk and the players already get between 50-60% of the revenues generated, regardless of whether it's a boom or bust year for their team.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Mar 11, 2011 at 15:18 »

Unfortunately, it's just not that cut and dry.  Don't forget that the owners assume ALL the risk and the players already get between 50-60% of the revenues generated, regardless of whether it's a boom or bust year for their team.

That's why they need to show the books, so that a fair assessment of that risk can be made.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #25 on: Mar 11, 2011 at 21:45 »

Risk?  The risk of being one of thirty-two owners of (arguably) the most profitable sports league on earth?  The owners take $1 billion off the top and then the players get 51% or so of the remainder.  Plus, the owners have other means of generating revenue outside that model.  For instance, Jerry Jones makes money off the stadium for various events throughout the year.  And who knows about all the licensing stuff, is that included in the pot of money the players get to split?  What about stuff like Jerry Jones' deals with Pepsi or Pizza Hut?

Nah, I'm not buying that the owners are in any way hurting.  Like penso said, let those bitches open the books and prove it.  

It is pretty simple to me, the owners are a bunch of greedy, money-grubbing bastards who are trying to squeeze the players for their own bottom line. Frankly, their short-sighted money grab sickens me. 

The risk is the one they're taking now by shutting down the league.  I hope the players have enough sense to consider the big picture and dig in their heels.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2011 at 21:50 by jonzr » Logged

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Mar 12, 2011 at 09:14 »

Oh, I'm sure they'll come up with a set of books.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #27 on: Mar 12, 2011 at 11:35 »

Oh, I'm sure they'll come up with a set of books.

No doubt they're fabricating getting them up-to-date right now!

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Mar 12, 2011 at 22:24 »

(From Roger's Friday email)

Dear NFL Fan,

When I wrote to you last on behalf of the NFL, we promised you that we would work tirelessly to find a collectively bargained solution to our differences with the players' union. Subsequent to that letter to you, we agreed that the fastest way to a fair agreement was for everyone to work together through a mediation process. For the last three weeks I have personally attended every session of mediation, which is a process our clubs sincerely believe in.

Unfortunately, I have to tell you that earlier today the players' union walked away from mediation and collective bargaining and has initiated litigation against the clubs. In an effort to get a fair agreement now, our clubs offered a deal today that was, among other things, designed to have no adverse financial impact on veteran players in the early years, and would have met the players’ financial demands in the latter years of the agreement.

The proposal we made included an offer to narrow the player compensation gap that existed in the negotiations by splitting the difference; guarantee a reallocation of savings from first-round rookies to veterans and retirees without negatively affecting compensation for rounds 2-7; no compensation reduction for veterans; implement new year-round health and safety rules; retain the current 16-4 season format for at least two years with any subsequent changes subject to the approval of the league and union; and establish a new legacy fund for retired players ($82 million contributed by the owners over the next two years).

It was a deal that offered compromise, and would have ensured the well-being of our players and guaranteed the long-term future for the fans of the great game we all love so much. It was a deal where everyone would prosper.

We remain committed to collective bargaining and the federal mediation process until an agreement is reached, and call on the union to return to negotiations immediately. NFL players, clubs, and fans want an agreement. The only place it can be reached is at the bargaining table.

While we are disappointed with the union's actions, we remain steadfastly committed to reaching an agreement that serves the best interest of NFL players, clubs and fans, and thank you for your continued support of our League. First and foremost it is your passion for the game that drives us all, and we will not lose sight of this as we continue to work for a deal that works for everyone.

Yours,
Roger Goodell

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #29 on: Mar 14, 2011 at 08:23 »

Propaganda ain't so great when it's that obvious.  Nice job, Douchell.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: