Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 31, 2014 at 06:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS Weight Loss 2011  (Read 14641 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #110 on: Oct 07, 2011 at 11:58 »

Well, not interested in six-pack abs or laying down 4.5 40 times, but definitely interested in functional strength/speed, losing weight, and body re-composition.  Sounds like re-composition is what you're shooting for, aj.  If I can lose visceral body fat and get toned up, that's fine with me.  But I'm not at all interested in exercises that work muscles in isolation, which seems to be hit-or-miss WRT real world function.  Some of these gym rats have ginormous biceps, and frankly I could give a rat's ass about show-offy shit like that.  Real strength works across multiple muscle groups.  Just the minimal jogging approach has strengthened my calves, ankles, and all the crazy shit in my feet in amazing ways.

I've done a substantial overhaul of my own dietary pyramid plate over the past 5 years, and am still working on some items.  Never ate a lot of fast food or processed food, and even less now.  Sweets and wheat are probably the two things I try to minimize most, along with obvious evils (trans-fats and vegetable oils, additives).  Some items are in a sort of dietary purgatory (starchy roots, nuts, legumes, high-carb fruits), and I don't exclude them completely but try to remain aware of possible issues with them.  So my plate, 5/7, is mostly vegetables and meats.  I've tracked some of my inputs on Fit Day, and the results reflect a shifting attitude towards dietary fat, with my weekdays having a fat/protein/carb ratio of something like 60/25/15.  I do work more carbs into the weekends, though.  More on all this later.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #111 on: Dec 12, 2011 at 10:06 »

Finally have an update that I can post.

I did a lot of mtn biking this summer, and didn't lose any weight.  I eat calories so I don't bonk during the ride, but the following day I am crazy hungry and eat too much.

Was eating too much leading up to Thanksgiving then was out of town that week.  Locked down the intake almost two weeks ago and exercising when I can around kid practices and whatnot.

I'm down to 227.  Started at 235 almost 2 weeks ago.  Still getting plenty of protein but eating a lot less chips, cookies, and drinking a lot less liquor.  Getting on the scale every day too, not necessarily to track the daily change, but doing it every day seems to help me make better choices during the day.  Using a calorie counter app on my phone, my daily intake is reduced enough to lose 1 lb per week.  Without all the chips, cookies, and liquor, I'm probably consuming somewhere around 1,000 or 1,200 less calories per day which likely explains the favorable loss thus far.  I presume the rate of loss will slow down.  I found another app, Libra, where you choose a goal weight and weigh every day.  It tracks the trend from when you enter your weight daily against the goal trend and some other things like the date you will reach your goal based on your actual trend.

Want to get to 210 by spring.  If I can get that low over the winter I'll shoot for 200.  I'd love to take a few inches off the belt line and maintain it.  If I get to 200, a mtn bike ride thatis 4 hours becomes closer to 3 hours.  The longer rides will only get easier too.

Ready . . . break.

« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2011 at 08:12 by Big Virgil » Logged

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #112 on: Dec 12, 2011 at 10:47 »

My update.  Goal is to evade the holiday weight gains, including football season.  Have hit a set point of 225# and maintained even though the jogging has tanked.  The running has actually gone pretty well when I can get out and do it, but that's the trick.  For one thing, daylight is an issue.  I'm not motivated enough to jog around the block at 6 a.m., and by the time I get home it's dark, so it's weekends only -- but I may resurrect the lunchtime trot.  Don't mind running in the mid-40F weather, so that may be the best thing.  My biggest reason for not running has been a variety of old man complains.  Was at a bar/restaurant about 6 weeks ago and completely fucked up my right ankle in the parking lot, grade 2 sprain, the entire fucking foot was black and purple with broken blood vessels, had a couple weeks of intermittent pain and swelling, but healed damned fast and tested it lightly after 2 weeks.  Around Thanksgiving I had my annual bout with back pain, and running was a no go.  Have had some shoulder pain of unknown origin, so haven't done kettles as much either.  Need to boost all these back up.  Two Saturdays ago, had a very pleasant 3.5 miler coming off the back and ankle pain and no runs for a month, and this past Saturday got out for 2 miles but had some calf pain and stopped.  Ugh. 

Continuing to eat mostly primal/low carb during the week, so: no wheat, no sweets, though I've been bad with wine.  Still, maintaining, so that's a plus.  Considering adding whey protein shakes into the weekly mix abd wondering what opinions are on these:  do they help with losing omental fat?  Less concerned with adding muscle, but more muscle, fine.  Looking to get back to 3 runs a week through December if I can and to gear up for a 10-miler held in April.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #113 on: Dec 12, 2011 at 10:51 »

One more note.  Definitely found that low carb during the week depleted glycogen stores, so weekly runs this year were weaker, but if I'd have pizza or Indian takeout Friday, my glycogen would be restored and my Saturday runs always went better.  I'm going to continue with this regiment, and think that training primarily in fat-burning mode but running in full glycogen mode will help me if and when I get to the point where I can run 10-13 miles.  Will also look at better carb sources (sweet potatoes?) before the run and perhaps during (dates?).

Goal is to DOUBLE my run production next year, and to drop another 20 pounds.  I'm pretty sure this "plateau" can be busted with some better weekly habits, with avoiding the holiday weight gain, and getting back to running even in cold weather.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #114 on: Dec 13, 2011 at 08:26 »

I know a lot of people that try to lose weight and go low calorie have a tendency to cut most protein out of their diet and the weight loss on the scale is as much, or more, muscle than fat.  That's OK, but I keep the protein up so I don't look like I've been in a concentration camp.

I will throw down carbs and fat the night before a big bike ride.  Not sure if the fat is the best idea (usually pizza) but I feel better the next day when I ride.  If I don't have a high carb meal the night before, I eat about 5 pieces of french toast in the morning.  I make sure it's 45 to 60 minutes before I'm going to be riding, and I don't get hungry for probably 3 hours instead of 1 hour.  If it's a short ride, 2 to 3 hours, I don't worry about carbing up.

The protein shakes aren't going to add muscle to your body, but they will support your muscle and diminish your muscle loss from exercise and dieting.  It will can help you build muscle, but to do that, from what I understand, you need to be on a high calorie diet.  I don't know what the optimal mix of carbs, fat, starch, etc, for doing that is, but that's my understanding.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #115 on: Feb 01, 2012 at 14:54 »

Last Friday I went to see the doc for results of my most recent blood work.  As of the most recent visits, my blood pressure remained borderline high even with 25# weight loss and a variety of meds, and my cholesterol was pretty good, but not great. 

Fasting glucose was slightly improved, but a lot of self-medicating (wine, stress of FiL illness) offset what exercise and diet was doing, no doubt.  Want to move the number from 102 to ~88 next visit.

Kept the weight at 225# (25# lost) through the Thanksgiving-Christmas-whatever holiday gauntlet.  Cholesterol numbers improved dramatically.  TC = 189, HDL = 68, LDL = 105, trigs = 100, IIRC.  I was pissed that the trigs weren't lower, but the doc was glowing about how good my numbers were, especially LDL and trigs.  And, in fairness, I've cut the trigs in half over where they were a couple of years ago, so it's a process.  It took some time, but the numbers are finally coming around.  I'm less concerned with TC, and more with the ratios.  Total:HDL should be 5 or less, mine was 2.78.  Excellent.  Trig:HDL should be 2 or less, mine was 1.47.  Excellent.  LDL:HDL should be 4.3 or less, mine was 1.54.  Excellent.

Getting more running in again with the nice January/February weather.  Ran 4.2 miles yesterday and 2.3 at lunch today, and that 4.2 felt like I was breezin'.  Been eating a lot of "comfort foods" (se FiL thread), meaning carbs, carbs, carbs, and really need to get back to the good foods.  Focused on losing the next 25# and doing the half marathon.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #116 on: Feb 19, 2012 at 18:10 »

So the last time I tried on 36" waist pants was last summer, and I technically could squeeze into them, but it was evident work needed to be done.

The holiday season (Thanksgiving to, well, now) my weight stayed pretty even, going back to my set point of 225# consistently, max rise to 229# if I was bad. 

Ran yesterday with the nice weather, goal was to go 6 miles as all my runs this calendar year have been in the 2-3 mile range, actually went 9, a new best.  First 3 miles, easy pace, next 3 strong, last 3 had to stop and walk to stretch some muscles, but overall not bad.  A little creaky on the recovery, steps this morning were an old man's torture, but recovery was actually pretty quick, feel just fine now, and can envision doing 13.1 this spring.  Went to Costco today to stock up, saw a pile of jeans and picked up some 36's, just to gauge my progress.  Didn't expect them to fit, since there's been no weight loss for months, but surprisingly I not only could get into 36's but had room to spare, so the weight loss is shifting fat out, muscle in. 

Exceedingly pleased with this, and Mrs. FW commented that the belly is getting very tight.  I dunno, still some jelly there, but it is moving in the right direction, little by little.

Reading a lot of nutrition stuff and have revised eating habits even more.  Convinced I am on the path to health.

Finnegans Wake enters camp in the best shape of his life!  Seriously, I'm in better shape than at any time that any of you fools have known me.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #117 on: Feb 20, 2012 at 10:23 »

Finnegans Wake enters camp in the best shape of his life!  Seriously, I'm in better shape than at any time that any of you fools have known me.

Congrats.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #118 on: Feb 22, 2012 at 20:07 »

Bought a spinning bike last weekend.  Hoping to get some cardio in after the kiddo goes to bed.  So far, so good.  I packed on a bit of post-baby weight over the past nine months.  Too tired after work and time with the baby to workout....or that has been my excuse.  But I know that while that may be a good excuse, that won't stop my waist from growing.  So I now have the bike and a Smith machine for weight training.   Will do the Insanity workout three times a week.

The baby has been sick a lot since October, which impacts everyone's sleep.  Hopefully that settles down and I am not quite as sleep deprived and remain on my training schedule.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #119 on: Feb 23, 2012 at 09:47 »

Nice work Finny, 36 is a milestone for me.  About an inch away. 

Scac - that is tough with a newborn.  All I did the year of being a parent was sleep when there was an opportunity to "do something".

Pages: 1 ... 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: