Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 30, 2014 at 11:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS Weight Loss 2011  (Read 15481 times)
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 08:22 »

Someone my wife knows has/had those DVD's and said they were pretty good.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
VintageRoadBike
N00b

« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2011 at 18:25 »

Time to update the '09 sticky.

I am working on it hard this year.  Last summer I rode my bike alot, but was eating quite a bit since I was always hungry from riding.  Gotta figure that out this spring when Mtn biking starts up again.

Started working out at home, pretty much every day.  Been lifting and doing some cardio at the gym and nothing has changed in the last 2 years, so I decided to jump, jump, jump around at home changing up the routine.

Biggest change is I started counting calories using a free droid app on my phone.  FYI - Myfitnesspal.  Based on height, weight, age, and activity level, tells you how many calories, and by extension fat, carbs, etc to consume daily to lose whatever you desire.  If 1lb per week, then it calculates your daily calorie intake to lose 1 lb per week.  You enter your food either by searching (typing it in) or you scan the bar code (snack bar, can of soup, etc), and it pulls all the info.  Since it is cutting your calories to lose the desired amount (I selected 1.5 lbs per week) when you exercise, you add those calories to increase your daily intake by that amount.  If you burn 500 calories, add that to your daily allotment.  So, if I exercise, I can have a couple pieces of pizza for dinner on a weekend, or I can have a couple of margarita's and stay within my calorie limit.

By entering everything into the app, it is amazing how many calories I was consuming before, and not losing weight.  The calorie count drives the portion control and choices you make daily.

Over the last 5 weeks, I'm down 10 lbs, including DIV playoff round, AFCC and Superbowl.  Started at my normal 235 now 225.

Pretty cool.  Was looking to lose 15 by end of March, but now I'm thinking I should easily be able to lose 20, since I'm already down 10.  I think exercising daily is kicking me up to the 2lbs per week levels.

That's all I got.

Nice job BV!!  Grin

X'd!
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Mar 14, 2011 at 08:00 »

I had a slow coupla weeks.  A weekend out of town, kid activities starting up and fighting through a bad recurring leg issue (really bad muscle tightness).  Was so-so on food intake.  More than acceptable for maintaining, but not what I'm after right now.

Seemed to have conquered the leg issue, atleast for now (BV crosses fingers) and played racquetball last weekend and was able to ride my bike twice over this past weekend.  FYI - It was 75 here on Friday and 65 yesterday.  There is one small "mountain" west of Denver that has no trees or anything so it is exposed and rideable during the winter months when we have dry spells.  No pavement riding for BV so far.

So, dropped 2 more pounds over all down to 224.  If I could have dispersed another few ounces of, uhm, pee, could be in the 223 range.  Dayum.  Not bad for 6'5", but still need to lose a couple of more inches off the waist line.

BOOOOOOOOM!!!!!

VintageRoadBike
N00b

« Reply #23 on: Mar 18, 2011 at 16:21 »

was able to ride my bike twice over this past weekend. 

You ever take it off any sweet jumps?
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Mar 19, 2011 at 22:21 »

LOL - They call me Pedro.

VintageRoadBike
N00b

« Reply #25 on: Mar 21, 2011 at 19:00 »

LOL - They call me Pedro.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Apr 14, 2011 at 14:05 »

Two quick hits.

If you haven't read Gary Taubes's Good Calories, Bad Calories, reserve a few weeks of shitter time and slog through it.  Exhausting, exhaustive meta-analysis of 150+ years of science into why we get fat.  It may come across as Atkins apologia, but I think it's more an indictment of scientific error cascade: bad dogma becomes accepted as the core science, and anyone who challenges it is seen as a whackjob. 

He also has an article at the NY Times called Is Sugar Toxic?, and it's worth not skimming.  So many commentors at the NYT site completely miss the point, and blithely counter with "everythin­g in moderation­" replies or "calories in, calories out" platitudes­.

Some interestin­g concepts:

The difference between foods isocaloric but not isometabol­ic. If you ate 2000 calories per day of steaks and vegetables and someone else ate 2000 calories per day of nothing but sugar, it would show that a calorie is not a calorie.

The idea that sugar and HFCS both contain a ratio of fructose and glucose, and it is the fructose that skews the insulin response.

The competing theories of John Yudkin (obesity and related diseases as deriving from excess sugar) and that of Ancel Keys (who said it is a function of dietary fat). Hint: new research is underminin­g Keys.

The overabunda­nce of added sugar (above and beyond that naturally found in fruits and vegetables­) not only spurs obesity and diabetes, but also artheroscl­erosis and cancer.

Excess sugar not only triggers these things, but also changes our body processes by adding to insulin resistance.

Sugar is therefore not an acute toxin (c.f. arsenic) but a chronic toxin that poisons by reaching cumulative levels, like cigarettes­. Not every smoker will die of lung cancer, but smoking is accepted as being unhealthfu­l. Similarly, sugar (refined fructose, really) is similarly toxic.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #27 on: Apr 17, 2011 at 00:17 »

Sugar is therefore not an acute toxin (c.f. arsenic) but a chronic toxin that poisons by reaching cumulative levels, like cigarettes­. Not every smoker will die of lung cancer, but smoking is accepted as being unhealthfu­l. Similarly, sugar (refined fructose, really) is similarly toxic.

But, but ... ADM said high fructose corn syrup is good for me cuz it's made from corn!

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Apr 18, 2011 at 09:46 »

You call it corn, I call it Maize.

My most recent mind-set is that "sugar is the devil".  Overall I eat pretty well, and conciously limit sugar intake, but, using a calorie counter, end up with waaaay more sugar at the end of the day that I anticipate.  That is just "sugar", not just refined sugar.  Eating an orange, a banana, and an apple throughout the day, send my daily sugar intake through the roof, although that isn't necessarily the evil-est of sugar.  Banana's are marginal, I believe, on the glycemic index, and I should eat another apple instead.

Good work Finny.

Too many kid activities right now to work out daily, but getting in a couple of workouts in during the week, and hittin some sweet jumps on the weekends.  Yesterday I rode what would normally be a big ride for me, with a pretty good climb at the beginning, but I rode it in 3 hours with just shy of 4,000 feet of climbing.  I still felt pretty good at the end (even today), and not like I got hit by a truck, so the winter workout routine is paying off.  Still gotta lose at least another 10 lbs, and 15 would be better.  Kiddie activities are winding down, so I can get more workout time during the week.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Apr 18, 2011 at 11:23 »

The overabunda­nce of added sugar (above and beyond that naturally found in fruits and vegetables­) not only spurs obesity and diabetes, but also artheroscl­erosis and cancer.

Excess sugar not only triggers these things, but also changes our body processes by adding to insulin resistance.

Kicked the Mountain Dew habit at the beginning of the year.  Didn't drink coffee so I got my caffeine fix from soda.  Tough sledding the first week or so following.  Had some nasty withdrawl headaches for about 5 days.

Will say that I feel better overall now without it, but I do still have a day here or there where I could use a caffeine pick me up.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: