Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 31, 2014 at 15:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS Weight Loss 2011  (Read 15505 times)
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2011 at 08:18 »

I'm holding steady at 225/226.  Everything looks good, for a middle aged geezer, except I can't get the waistline below 37.  36's are too snug to wear, which pisses me off.

Fought through a leg strain (calf up to bottom of hamstring) whihc is the same injury I had 2 years ago.  For some reason, my left leg is tight, and if I don't stretch daily, I'll be back in PT.  At least now I know what to do to stay active.

Unlike most of the country, since we had a dry winter/spring it was a short mountain bike off-season.  Have been riding for 2 months already.  Was going to post a link from a ride I did a week ago.  The biggest ride I have ever done, for ascent, not distance.  A shade over 4,000 feet of ascent, about 22 miles IIRC.  Took BV just over 4 hours.  Was hoping for 3:45, but I was close.  It was a mother of a grind.  I was whipped.  It made one of my some-what regular rides seem pretty farkin easy on Saturday.

I have been eating pretty good.  Although I have been riding, just one day on the weekend due to kiddie soccer practice and other kiddie activities.  This is the last week for that stuff, then I can get a regular ride night during the week.  This summer I'm going to work out (lift) 2-3 days a week too.  Last summer I was soooo freaking hungry after riding, for a day or two, I didn't really lose any weight over summer.  Not starving so far this year, which is good, so maybe I can drop a coupla inches.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2011 at 08:30 »

Derailed by a cold.  Thought it was allergies Thursday and Friday, but ran through the lack of energy.  By the weekend it had come home to roost, and did not run Monday.  Probably won't today either.  Still, down 12#, metabolism seems peppy.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2011 at 10:02 »

Here is a link to a recent ride:   http://connect.garmin.com/activity/85810243

Looks like Saturday I'm doing a similar ride.  Should be interesting.  One area that privides access to some trails is closed this year, and was closed most of last year too.  Anyway, Bike Neighbors wife will usually give us a ride where ever we need to go.  To do the ride we are planning, we have to drive about 30 minutes and drop my vehicle in a parkig lot.  Then it's about 60 more minutes continuing on to where we want to start the ride.  For Bike neighbor's wife, it's an hour drive home from there.  Needless to say, she is freaking awesome.  Mrs. BV would look at me like I was speaking a foreign language if I asked her to do that.

Should be similar time and distance to the link above.  About 24 mile(s) (my favorite Tommy Boy reference) and I'm guessing 4,200 to 4,400 ft of ascent.  There are a few tough climbs on this one.  One in particular is 3.7 miles of switchbacks.  This section starts by a river and climbs out of the valley.  Looking through some past rides, It looks like at one point it took me 70 minutes to ride that section.  Last time I was at 52 minutes.  That's a helluva improvement. Bike neighbor is 10 to 15 minutes faster on that piece.  

It was rainy last weekend, so I had to ride in my basement.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011 at 11:06 by Big Virgil » Logged

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2011 at 11:29 »

Had a great run on Saturday.  I'm sure it's not impressive to "real" runners, but it was my longest run of the young season (3.2 miles), and it felt good throughout.  Wasn't winded at all, had really decent speed, and could have easily done another lap (1.6 miles) except that I had to go somewhere with the Mrs.

Maintained 12# down despite going off track with workouts and diet due to the cold earlier in the week.

Waist size had been ~38 for a few years, but when I was adding weight in the winter(s), 38 would be tight and I had some 40s that were tight.  Now the 38s are loose.  Bought a pair of 38 cargo pants and they were loose right away.  The gut is definitely slimming back down.

The question is one of maintenance, and keeping good habits going when the weather is bad.  I didn't run into the cold weather months last year, but I plan to this year. 

This week is rain, rain, rain, and more rain, so I may take a couple days off running and just do elliptical and free weights.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2011 at 10:03 »

Nice work Finny!!!!

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2011 at 12:43 »

Ran through a light rain for 1.9 miles before lunch.  

Sticking to a menu of ~50 g. carbs or fewer during the week.  Today's breakfast was a nova lox bagel deconstructed:  smoked salmon, cream cheese, thinly sliced red onion, capers, cherry tomatoes and dill (no bagel).  Lunch was spring mix salad with bleu cheese, turkey, hard boiled egg, pepper slices, cherry tomatoes, and homemade buttermilk dressing.  Snack is some strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries.  Dinner will be roasted cauliflower and grilled lamb chops (again!).  It's amazing how quickly the carbs add up in good stuff like tomatoes, berries, and peppers without adding lots of refined grains or any kind of sweets.

By comparison, the 16 oz. strawberry lemonade thingey at McDonald's that they're advertising the hell out of is 68 g. carbs (67 of which = sugar).  Get that, a burger, and some fries, and it's abundantly clear why Americans are downing ~300 g. carbs per person per day.  Once I get my weight down, I'd like to average about 100-150 g. per day.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011 at 15:15 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2011 at 17:00 »

It doesn't take as much as we think to keep the furnace going. 

I wasn't in a position to eat a meal last night, so I had a meal replacement bar, and a granole bar.  When I got home had a few cookies, some baked tostito's scoops with leftover taco meat, small piece of chocolate.  Started adding it up and had prolly had over 1,000 calories after 5:00.  NOT GOOD.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2011 at 20:15 »

Meanwhile, Y2Joyce had five jagerbombs for dinner.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2011 at 09:23 »

Meanwhile, Y2Joyce had five jagerbombs for dinner.

He's been slightly drunk since he was 19...

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2011 at 19:34 »

Last year, I'd run a couple of miles and feel wiped out.  Today, I ran 5.0 miles, fueled by eating 1/2 a pepperoni pizza Friday night, having 4-5 gin on the rocks, and some cookies (all the shit I can't have during the week!), and then went out and did some yard work, plenty of energy.  This is bringing week 6 of my 3-4-5 diet to a close, and I am down 15# as of today.  2 more pounds and I will be at the weight I was when I got married in 1998. 

The 5-miler was good and bad.  Breaking in new water shoes, ripped a nice blister on my left heel.  No biggie.  At 4.8 miles I had the choice to go for 6.4, but closed out due to back pain and some calf stiffness. Still comes in as my best run of the year, lungs and overall energy were fucking awesome.  You guys who run 10Ks all the time have no idea how good it feels for someone who's done jack shit for exercise for 25+ years to get out and do this.  Mrs. F. sees the increased energy, says my face looks thinner.  I'm aiming to get into the 220s within a month.

If I write a book, should I call it the 3-4-5 diet or the goat cheese diet?

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: