Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 23, 2014 at 07:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 [10] 11 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS Weight Loss 2011  (Read 15091 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #90 on: Jul 18, 2011 at 10:42 »

Kind of holding steady right now.  Still at 226#, which can fluctuate up to 230# on the weekends, but my one short-term goal was not to go over 230# again.  Two weeks ago the weather was decent but I was just lazy and only ran twice.  Felt guilty about that, so I ran 7 times last week (5 days), including 6.8 miles on Saturday.  In fairness, I should not that I had to stop a few times to walk off cramps or pain, but it was all nearly continuous running, and a distance over 3 miles for the first time since May.  Actually felt really good, except for a blister I wound up with.  Makes me think I could reach my goal of running a half marathon before I'm 50.  Lungs, good.  Energy, good. 

Went out for lunch with the wife and her mom yesterday, and then went to pick up some shorts.  Tried on 36" waist again, and again, it fits, but if I farted there'd be a good chance I put out someone's eye with a flaying button.  Definitely hoping to get into 36" by fall though.

Feeling good, and just got a pic from a friend's daughter's birthday party.  Mrs. F. says I look years younger, and the face is definitely not bloated like it used to be.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #91 on: Jul 22, 2011 at 08:03 »

Good work finny. 

I have had no consistency over the last month.  Only been on the bike once, due to being out of town and stuff, since the last weekend of June.  CRAZY!!!!

Gotta get back in the game this week.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #92 on: Jul 22, 2011 at 09:50 »

Last few days, upper 90F, 100F+ yesterday, expect the same tomorrow.  Did a few very short morning runs this week, but hope to get a 3 miler in Saturday and Sunday.

Have stuck to not going over 230#, and weighed in today back at the previous low 226#.  Would like to bust this new plateau and get closer to the 220# mark.  Mrs. F. found some pics from the year we met ('95) and that really gave me a target to strive for.  Won't likely get back to that weight, but I was very lean, would like to at least get close to that. 

Went out to for sushi, wine, and then an indie movie premiere, and a friend I hadn't seen in a few weeks commented that I was "getting skinny."  She made my day!

Also, a site you guys may be interested in is FitDay.com.  Allows you to track your foods with preset caloric and macronutrient breakdowns.  It also plugs in micronutrients, but not with all foods; I take a multi, a B-complex, a D 1000-mg, and a fish oil most days anyway, so I'm less worried about the micros.  (Also, eating grass-fed and pastured meats, dairy, and eggs, and organic produce would seem to help with the micros.)  It's fascinating because even though I'm cutting certain carbs (starches and sweets), there are obviously complex carbs in fruits and veggies that add up.  I've probably gone over 50 g. per day when I thought I was under, even avoiding more sugary fruits like bananas and apples and eating berries instead; you get to 50 g. very quickly if you eat veggies though.  My macro ratios during the week would make the paleo/primal crowd happy...

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #93 on: Jul 22, 2011 at 10:03 »

Using the FitDay estimates for caloric inputs:

Tuesday 7/19 - 1,833 calories, fat 64%, protein 19%, carbs 17%.  Had a few blackberries with 4 large T. of whole-fat yogurt, 1/2 t. raw honey, and a few almonds for breakfast; morning snack of about 20 almonds, and a small portion of lemondrop melon (very sweet, not much needed!); lunch was my fall-back of goat cheese and roasted veggies, with a few slices of artisinal salami; afternoon snack of carrots and bleu cheese dressing; dinner of roasted ratatouille veggies and broiled swordfish.  Gotta say, the dinner was kickass.

Wednesday 7/20 - 1,883 calories, fat 53%, protein 34%, carbs 13%.  Same breakfast and morning snack as 7/19; some leftover salmon and some of the roasted veggies for lunch; some salami and manchego cheese as an afternoon snack; a Nicoise salad for dinner, to which I added some cucumber (not traditional).  Also a kickass dinner, very hearty.

Thursday 7/21 (went out with friends for sushi and wine) - 2,386 calories, fat 28%, alcohol 28%, protein 22%, carbs 21%.  Same breakfast as previous days;  some melon and some cooked bacon for morning snack; leftover Nicoise salad for lunch; grilled hamachi kama, with sake, hamachi, and saba nigiri (1 each) and half a Christmas roll, and 6 glasses of wine (!).  And yet, the next day I dropped 4 #.  Go figure.

Interesting to me to see how the breakdowns run.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #94 on: Jul 24, 2011 at 18:05 »

Fucking atrocious heat.  High 90s, and into the 100s.  103F on Friday.  Ran Saturday morning (5.2 miles) to make up for a week where I had a couple of morning miles but nothing else, and fucking hell was it hot.  Got down to 224#, which officially marks the 25# lost landmark.  Was looking at photos from 1995, when I met the missus.  Jesus, how did I get to be such a fat fuck?  Anyway.  Had a neighborhood shindig at our place, with birthday cake, as yours truly is about to notch yet another one, so I'm sure the weight will bounce up again a bit.  But this week may see a few days in the 80s, and I plan to take advantage and run.  Hope to do a longer run next Saturday regardless.  Figure if I can run 5+ miles in this shit, when fall comes around I'll be golden.  Would LOVE to be able to do a 13.1 this year.

Maybe the minimalist footwear is to blame, but for 2 weeks, on and off, I've had a heel bruise, and when I was running the last 2 Saturdays I think I over-compensated and ran a bit more front-foot and got a nice blister.  Was just gimping around like a bastard.  But I gotta say, overall I'm feeling great.  People are noticing the weight loss.  Still have some to lose around the belly, though, so 225# --> 215# is my new goal.  Want to get to 220# in August, 215# by September.  Was 205# back in 1995, not sure if I'll go all that far.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #95 on: Aug 02, 2011 at 14:03 »

Still maintaining 224#-230#.  Last week was tough -- lots of cake and birthday-related stuff, and more wine bottles in the recycling than I care to admit -- but even breaking the eating and exercise regimen, the weight has refused to cross back over that 230 Rubicon.  Did another 5-miler this past Saturday, which dropped the water weight off and took me back to 224#, so my next goal is getting under 220#...

Going back to the doc in September and she has promised to take me off some BP meds if I hit that weight.

It's still been pretty hot, though lower 90s rather than upper 90s/100s.  Have had some pretty good runs, but not running at al over lunch.  The industrial park where I work is just one big heat sink of macadam and no mature trees, and until it's back into the 70s and 80s, I'll wait till I get home.  Still, building endurance in the heat will help me in the fall.  Have also been working on improving speed via adaptation of Galloway method on the long runs (run-walk-run, but with precise ratios), so that despite time spent walking overall speed is up.  Really ran well for the 5 miler, energy was awesome, and not winded at all.  Had the iPod on and was (embarassingly) singing along to it as I wound up the run.  Point being, not short of breath.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #96 on: Aug 02, 2011 at 14:08 »

Some aches and pains.  The foot pain was almost certainly a mild plantar fasciitis, which seems to be resolving itself through copious icing, rest, and better stretching.  At the desk all day, so I just kept getting bags of ice and icing it as I worked.  Other niggling pains include occasional foot pain from the minimalist running, which works all the muscles and tendons and ligaments of the feet even now that I'm used to running this way.  Mrs. F. is also now jogging in water shoes and agrees that it's helping.  Had some hip pain yesterday that had me walking slowly, not sure what exactly that is, but it's stretched out now.

Still not running big distance, but weekly totals of 10+ is better than nothing, and as noted, up to 5-7 miles on long runs.  Closing in on 140 miles total since this started.  Talked to a runner friend who's run forever, and she used to log 50 miles a week, and now herself only does about 10 per week, so that made me feel better.  The idea that I can do 5-7 miles relatively easily in midsummer makes me more seriously consider a local half marathon this October. 

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #97 on: Aug 03, 2011 at 08:09 »

Nice work Finny!!!!

I got back on the bike a coupla times the last week, which was really good.  Me and bike neighbor took a 28 y.o. mtn bike newbie out last weekend.  A decent length ride for mtn biking, 23 miles, and showed him whazzz up when you spend a Saturday with the old guys.  That always makes me feel good, especially when I haven't been doing too much.

I think food consumption is back under control and recently got back to doing some sort of exercise 5 to 6 days per week.  Might wait until next week to get on the scale. I presume I'm up to 230, and that's absolutely no good.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #98 on: Aug 22, 2011 at 11:05 »

Been on a plateau (225#) most of the past month, which is a win considering I flip-flopped the running-to-wine ratio.  I think the humidity finally just wore me down, so the last few weeks I've fallen short of 10 miles per, but I still have the itch to run and am looking forward to cooler weather.  Also reading Born to Run, which talks about ultramarathoners who go out and just run 40, 50 miles for fun, easily going over 150 miles a week.  And here I am at 150 miles on the year. 

The gut still needs some slimming, but the bulge has flattened.  Fitting easily into 38s with room to spare. 

Doing pretty well on the diet aspect.  Was on a bacon, avocado, lettuce, and tomato tear last week.  Have also been taking a tablespoon of coconut oil in the mornings and skipping breakfasts.  Just got a 1/4 beef, but smaller than last year's.  Good price, very tasty so far.  May get a 1/2 lamb and/or a 1/2 pig this fall.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #99 on: Aug 22, 2011 at 15:00 »

Forgot to mention, but I ordered some calipers to do BF% measurements.  Not that I want to check it every week, but maybe monthly?  There's a site where there are different methods of calculation.  My first foray into trying a few of them depended on Mrs. F. taking the measurements, and I don't think the technique was spot on just yet; in any event, my Omron battery-powered gizmo had shown a drop from almost 30% down to about 21%, and the caliper calculations varied widely (16%, 18%, 21%, 28%).  28% and 16% can probably be thrown out.  21% still seems most likely, but that was the one done with all tape measure measurements (neck, waist, etc.).  Once I refine this I'll post.

I do need to work out with weights again, biceps are a bit small right now (13").  Calves are getting some workout running (15.5").  Just got a new shirt and tie for a wedding, and glad I got an 18" collar - neck is 17.5" but 18" was almost too tight.  And no, I will not be wearing the (48L) coat of bedazzlement to the wedding, I have a Miami Vice throwback I'm bustin' out.

Pages: 1 ... 9 [10] 11 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: