Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 29, 2014 at 03:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS Weight Loss 2011  (Read 15750 times)
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« on: Feb 16, 2011 at 08:29 »

Time to update the '09 sticky.

I am working on it hard this year.  Last summer I rode my bike alot, but was eating quite a bit since I was always hungry from riding.  Gotta figure that out this spring when Mtn biking starts up again.

Started working out at home, pretty much every day.  Been lifting and doing some cardio at the gym and nothing has changed in the last 2 years, so I decided to jump, jump, jump around at home changing up the routine.

Biggest change is I started counting calories using a free droid app on my phone.  FYI - Myfitnesspal.  Based on height, weight, age, and activity level, tells you how many calories, and by extension fat, carbs, etc to consume daily to lose whatever you desire.  If 1lb per week, then it calculates your daily calorie intake to lose 1 lb per week.  You enter your food either by searching (typing it in) or you scan the bar code (snack bar, can of soup, etc), and it pulls all the info.  Since it is cutting your calories to lose the desired amount (I selected 1.5 lbs per week) when you exercise, you add those calories to increase your daily intake by that amount.  If you burn 500 calories, add that to your daily allotment.  So, if I exercise, I can have a couple pieces of pizza for dinner on a weekend, or I can have a couple of margarita's and stay within my calorie limit.

By entering everything into the app, it is amazing how many calories I was consuming before, and not losing weight.  The calorie count drives the portion control and choices you make daily.

Over the last 5 weeks, I'm down 10 lbs, including DIV playoff round, AFCC and Superbowl.  Started at my normal 235 now 225.

Pretty cool.  Was looking to lose 15 by end of March, but now I'm thinking I should easily be able to lose 20, since I'm already down 10.  I think exercising daily is kicking me up to the 2lbs per week levels.

That's all I got.
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2013 at 11:29 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2011 at 12:55 »

You go, BV! I hit the big 5-0 this year and somehow have managed to lose 23 lbs. since last July, mostly by walking 4-5 times a week and no snacking after dinner. Best of all, my blood sugar sare typically running in the 'acceptable' range, as opposed to the 200+ & 300+ levels I had previously.
Best of luck and here's to your success!

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2011 at 16:10 »

I hit the big 5-0 this year and somehow have managed to lose 23 lbs.

You and Zsa Zsa. Shit's just fallin' off.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2011 at 18:30 »

I hit the big 5-0 this year and somehow have managed to lose 23 lbs.

You and Zsa Zsa. Shit's just fallin' off.

Another clever reference to the Chris Henry truck.

Some folks are saying he staged that whole shit with a big watermelon and a replica jersey, and ran into the woods. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2011 at 19:20 »

Some folks are saying he staged that whole shit with a big watermelon and a replica jersey, and ran into the woods.

That's sickening.

A dude with his money should have been wearing an authentic, not a replica.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2011 at 10:15 »

You go, BV! I hit the big 5-0 this year and somehow have managed to lose 23 lbs. since last July, mostly by walking 4-5 times a week and no snacking after dinner. Best of all, my blood sugar sare typically running in the 'acceptable' range, as opposed to the 200+ & 300+ levels I had previously.
Best of luck and here's to your success!

That's awesome VA.  Keeping the calories in check and moving around is the key, but usually easier said than done.

For most MGS'ers, there has been plenty opportunity to exercise, the last few months, in the form of snow shoveling!!!!!

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2011 at 10:25 »

For most MGS'ers, there has been plenty opportunity to exercise, the last few months, in the form of snow shoveling!!!!!

No wonder Mrs. Finny is losing weight and I'm not...

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2011 at 10:29 »

That's sickening.

A dude with his money should have been wearing an authentic, not a replica.

Not to fake his own death.  He needs that money for weed, PBR, and hotel rooms for his 14-year-olds.

It'd be like AJ faking his own death and using his best watch as a prop.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2011 at 10:50 »

No wonder Mrs. Finny is losing weight and I'm not...

LOL - That's perfect.

BleedGreen710
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2011 at 10:58 »

Good stuff BV and VA.  I'm also getting serious about losing weight.  I used to be somewhat of a gym rat, but got discouraged by a lack of results.  So I took a good 3 years away from the gym.  I still played ice hockey, and was relatively active, just wasn't lifting or running regularly.  On Monday January 3rd, I stepped on a scale and was shocked to see 260 lbs.  I'm 6'3" tall, but there is no excuse for that...  Haha, I generally tell everyone I weigh around 245 lbs.  I guess I have been lying...

Anyway, that day I went to a shoe store and dropped 100 bucks on Saucony running shoes, and asked the salesperson a few questions about marathon running.  I made up my mind that I was running Pittsburgh's half marathon on May 15th.  I selected a training program from the internet at the suggestion of a friend of mine, and began training that evening.  Tomorrow morning, my training requires an 8-Mile run which will the longest run of my life.  So far, I've lost 15 lbs with an improved diet, and 4 days of training each week.  My goal is to lose 45 lbs by the day of the race.  The craziest thing is, I actually no longer despise running....  I'll keep everyone posted with my progress!

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: