Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 15:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS Weight Loss 2011  (Read 15377 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2011 at 11:09 »

All this talk of weight loss and zero discussion of Irina Shayk or Brooklyn Decker or...or... 

Priorities, people.

Guess if you consider the mean age around here, it makes perfect sense.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2011 at 11:55 »

I made up my mind that I was running Pittsburgh's half marathon on May 15th.

I decided to do the Komen Race for the Cure that's always in October, that's what got me going in the right direction!

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2011 at 13:55 »

Good stuff BV and VA.  I'm also getting serious about losing weight.  I used to be somewhat of a gym rat, but got discouraged by a lack of results.  So I took a good 3 years away from the gym.  I still played ice hockey, and was relatively active, just wasn't lifting or running regularly.  On Monday January 3rd, I stepped on a scale and was shocked to see 260 lbs.  I'm 6'3" tall, but there is no excuse for that...  Haha, I generally tell everyone I weigh around 245 lbs.  I guess I have been lying...

Anyway, that day I went to a shoe store and dropped 100 bucks on Saucony running shoes, and asked the salesperson a few questions about marathon running.  I made up my mind that I was running Pittsburgh's half marathon on May 15th.  I selected a training program from the internet at the suggestion of a friend of mine, and began training that evening.  Tomorrow morning, my training requires an 8-Mile run which will the longest run of my life.  So far, I've lost 15 lbs with an improved diet, and 4 days of training each week.  My goal is to lose 45 lbs by the day of the race.  The craziest thing is, I actually no longer despise running....  I'll keep everyone posted with my progress!

Nice work!!!!!  You just have to get to a point where you want to do it.  I'm finding out the exercise and diet need to be on the same path to actually lose weight.  I like riding my bike, so it isn't like I have to make myself do it, but as I foud out over the last year, if the diet isn't locked down, I'll just maintain, which is OK, but I'm going for the skinny rock star look.  Jagger style.  (not really)

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2011 at 14:00 »

All this talk of weight loss and zero discussion of Irina Shayk or Brooklyn Decker or...or... 

Priorities, people.

Guess if you consider the mean age around here, it makes perfect sense.

AJ - it's time for you to start doing pull ups on your TV mount.

Man, Brooklyn Decker is fucking crazy hot.  I always like the "girl next door" type (like LC).  Irina is pretty smokin too.  Some of the others ( I saw the 30 minute special on DTV's 101) just aren't all that great for the SI publication. 

BleedGreen710
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2011 at 14:55 »

Good stuff BV and VA.  I'm also getting serious about losing weight.  I used to be somewhat of a gym rat, but got discouraged by a lack of results.  So I took a good 3 years away from the gym.  I still played ice hockey, and was relatively active, just wasn't lifting or running regularly.  On Monday January 3rd, I stepped on a scale and was shocked to see 260 lbs.  I'm 6'3" tall, but there is no excuse for that...  Haha, I generally tell everyone I weigh around 245 lbs.  I guess I have been lying...

Anyway, that day I went to a shoe store and dropped 100 bucks on Saucony running shoes, and asked the salesperson a few questions about marathon running.  I made up my mind that I was running Pittsburgh's half marathon on May 15th.  I selected a training program from the internet at the suggestion of a friend of mine, and began training that evening.  Tomorrow morning, my training requires an 8-Mile run which will the longest run of my life.  So far, I've lost 15 lbs with an improved diet, and 4 days of training each week.  My goal is to lose 45 lbs by the day of the race.  The craziest thing is, I actually no longer despise running....  I'll keep everyone posted with my progress!

Nice work!!!!!  You just have to get to a point where you want to do it.  I'm finding out the exercise and diet need to be on the same path to actually lose weight.  I like riding my bike, so it isn't like I have to make myself do it, but as I foud out over the last year, if the diet isn't locked down, I'll just maintain, which is OK, but I'm going for the skinny rock star look.  Jagger style.  (not really)

Haha, I just finally was fed up with being out of shape...  I have plenty to do still, but I kind of just got to the tipping point, and it had to be done.

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2011 at 18:54 »

Difficult to imagine I've been with this crew for over 10 years now (I remember back when we celebrated Finny turning 60).

Starting in early January, I began the Insanity workout program.  I had done jogging, treadmills, and exercise bike with minimal results.  This program, while an infomercial product, has been great.  It kicks my ass.  It is nice b/c its easily done at home and doesn't require purchasing weights.  It takes 40 mins 6 times a week so there is a higher time commitment than the treadmill (usually 3-4 days a week for 30 mins).  But the results have been good.  I'm sure P90X is as good but I figured my wife would be more likely to want to do Insanity with me.

Also go to the gym for weights 3-4 days a week. Just doing free weights and cable and no machines this go-around.  I feel like I'm seeing much better results than the past few years when I was basically only lifting weights with minimal cardio.

Good luck to all

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2011 at 08:37 »

I think doing something just about every day, even 30 minutes, helps a lot for the weight loss.

Good job SCac.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2011 at 13:47 »

After an up and down jogging campaign of 2010 (was going very well until I had a slight calf tear), I'm looking forward to starting again soon.  70F today, after brutal cold recently.

But I'm reading all these accounts of 30+ min. daily and thinking it's all too damned much to do all the time, every day.

Maybe I'm just too lazy.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2011 at 16:05 »

But I'm reading all these accounts of 30+ min. daily and thinking it's all too damned much to do all the time, every day.

Maybe I'm just too lazy.

Prolly should be more like 90 minutes, to offset the sedentary daily activities of most people these days.   On an average day, for me at least, going to work, watching some TV in the evening, and sleeping at night is pretty standard fare.  For a 24 hour day, 90 minutes is only 6% of the day.  So you have to offset 94% of your sedentary day using 6% of the total day.  That just isn't a lot.

Start mtn biking with me and we'll get you a 21% workout on the weekend, and 12% at least twice during the week, well, when the weather is decent any way.

Git-R-Done

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2011 at 17:24 »

I started the 2nd level of the Insanity workout this past weekend.  Odd time amount but it is 49 mins. with warm-up, stretch, exercise and cool down.  Actually enjoyed the step up, as I had been doing the introductory series of DVDs since the beginning of January.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: