Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 01, 2014 at 22:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS Weight Loss 2011  (Read 14897 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Apr 18, 2011 at 15:00 »

Getting ready to start jogging again.  Been working out on the elliptical, and that's about it. 

Saw the weight float back up over the winter months, predictably enough, but am determined to work harder during the week than I have been lately.  Goals of running a 5K this year, and a half marathon before I turn 50 (looming fucking closer all the time).  I ran a 5K equivalent plenty last year, but nothing organized.  Now want to improve speed a bit, once I get my lungs back.  Spring weather has been atrocious (cold, wet). 

For whatever reason, I got a hankering for lamb last week.  Used to hate it, but I think that was because I'd always had badly prepared (buffet) lamb.  A few years ago I ordered some lamb from an Indian restaurant, and got hooked.  Grilled (!) up a nice leg of lamb and just amazed at how good it was.

So I was at Costco and saw they had leg of lamb and lamb rib chops.  The rib chops were a lot more expensive, but I didn't feel like dealing with a whole leg of lamb, just wanted something quick to prepare during the week.  So, the rib chops it was.  Got a rack of 8 rib chops, and twice during the week I took 4 of them, cut between the bones for individual chops, about 3/4" thick.  (BTW, Costco and a lot of supermarkets carry Aussie and New Zealand lamb, which is almost always grass-fed.  I hate to pay for something to get shipped around the world, but I have to track down a local lamb supplier.) 

Since Mrs. F. doesn’t eat meat, I made a marinade that I could use for shrimp or lamb.  This would work splendidly on a grill, but I used a cast-iron skillet for indoor cooking as the weather was uncooperative.  Basically, 4 lamb chops went into a large freezer Ziploc bag with a couple of cloves of garlic chopped fine, the leaves of 2 sprigs of rosemary chopped, the juice of ½ a lemon, a nice swirl of good olive oil, some salt and pepper, and a teaspoon of molasses.  This can sit for as little as an hour or as long as overnight in the fridge.

The molasses was my idea to get some quick caramelization, and it worked beautifully.  You don’t want to overdo it, so say a very scant teaspoon.  The lamb gets a little sweetness from the molasses, but it develops a nice crust on the grill/griddle. 

Basically used the same marinade with shrimp, sans molasses, and then dinner was done in minutes.  Crank the flames high and cook quickly.  I added some asparagus to the griddle after the meats were done, and cooked till they had a nice sear.  Beautiful.  This was a very low-carb dinner, with just a little wild rice on the side, and the lamb, man, it was out of this world.  The fat on those lollipops was just so tasty. 

If you’re looking for some good grilling this spring and summer, don’t forget grass-fed lamb, especially if you can find it locally.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Apr 18, 2011 at 18:33 »

It's weird that there's no lamb supply near you.  On the latest drive home I couldn't help but notice that two thirds of the billboards in central PA are dedicated to various sheepskin products. 

Shanks are my favorite cut of lamb, but I'm spoiled living in a largely muslim neighborhood.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Apr 19, 2011 at 08:41 »

It's weird that there's no lamb supply near you.  On the latest drive home I couldn't help but notice that two thirds of the billboards in central PA are dedicated to various sheepskin products. 

Rugs?

Shanks are my favorite cut of lamb, but I'm spoiled living in a largely muslim neighborhood.

Ah yes, hala lamb.  I love shanks as well.  Gonna have to dig around for a good local supplier.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011 at 09:38 »

A buddy of mine did this.  Actually, it kinda looks like fun.

As usual, my weight bounced right back over the winter (and football/heavy drinking months), but I am down to 239# again doing this:

*3 days, eat and drink whatever I wish. 
*4 days, no alcohol; 50 g. carbs or less per day.
*5 days (or 6) of running.

After the forays into minimal shoe running were sidetracked last year with bad back strains and a torn calf muscle, my goal this year is to push the distance and speed and work on form.  Had gotten up to a few 3.0 mile runs, but most were 1.0-1.5 mile.  This year I've found the distance a little easier, but have only pushed the daily runs to 1.6-1.9 miles (1.9 over lunchtime at work, 1.6 is the quick run at home that replaced an old 1.0 course that used to be my short route).  Want to get to at least 10 miles per week for now.  Probably small potatoes for real runners, but it's 10 miles a week I wasn't running before. 

Want to run a 5K this year, and hopefully if I keep getting better at this, try a half marathin before I'm 50.  I think that's probably the horizon for my running capabilities.

So 239# was the jumping-off point for previous forays into weight loss, but this feels good.  Not tired, not hungry, and seems very sustainable.  Clothes fit better, sleep is the best I've had in a long time, and definitely have better overall energy.  Not going to set weight/date targets because the shit fluctuates too much, but do want to get under 230# next, whenever.  And I think that will come naturally if I keep running. 

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2011 at 11:26 »

That, looks fucking cool.

He finish?  How'd he do? 

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2011 at 11:31 »

No real surprise that AJ thinks this is cool.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2011 at 11:48 »

Sometimes you just gotta dig for the good stuff.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2011 at 12:08 »

He finish?  How'd he do? 

He finished, but I didn't ask him his time.  Basically, his wife updated on Facebook that he survived.  I think that's about all I could hope for, LOL!

Energy is absolutely shit the last couple of days, as allergies are kicking in with full vengeance.  Just saps my strength.  But I did get out yesterday and today and run 1.9 miles before lunch each day:  8.9 miles so far on the week, which is good for me so far.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2011 at 19:13 »

He finish?  How'd he do? 

Just talked to him and didn't ask his time.  Asked if he would do it again and he went into a long explanation of how fucking crazy the course is.  Short version?  He saw some guy he know at the starting line who was some special ops dude, and afterward the guy said it was the toughest course he ever did.  I still think it looks like a blast, but I say that knowing I wouldn't last a fucking quarter of the way.  His brother's fiance is a doctor and forbade them from running through the high voltage wires.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2011 at 19:14 »

No real surprise that AJ thinks this is cool.

AJ likes when you can see the clam's in the sauce.

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: