Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 01, 2014 at 23:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 [11] 12 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS Weight Loss 2011  (Read 14898 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #100 on: Sep 12, 2011 at 11:15 »

Running has been sporadic of late.  Some of it was falling into bad ways (wine during the week, being lazy), some was vacation, some was bad weather (both heat/humidity and trop storms).  We still had some pretty toasty and humid days just recently, but I did get out for a 5.2 mile run Saturday.  First 1.6 miles, I was coughing up dustballs.  Second 1.6, felt strong and ran really well.  Final 1.6, was getting a little tired; capped with a 0.4 cooldown.  There was a young deer on the green belt the time I ran before vacation, and this time on my final lap I learned one value of running in water shoes.  You try to avoid clomping down on stuff like twigs and branches, so I ran around this branch, even though my feet, ankles, and calves have really strengthened and can take coming down on uneven surfaces better.  As I start to avoid the branch, I realize it's no branch, it's a snake, a 4' black rat snake to be exact.  Non-venomous, but still.  I ran a little faster after that.

The difference between white people and black people?  Some white guy and his two young boys were headed towards the snake, so I told them Hey, there's a four-foot snake about a half mile ahead, just wanted to let you know...  The boys tear off running, and the dad doesn't try to rein them in.  Instead, he turns around and asks which side of the road it was crawling towards.  A little ways down the road, a black lady and her two kids on bikes are going the same way, and I tell the mom, who was on her cell phone, and she just yells Oh hell no... Patience!  LeBron!  You get back here!  And those really were the kids' names.

One other note on running with minimal footwear:  Mrs. F. has also been running and was having terrible foot pain and even bruising in her sneakers, all of which disappeared when she started running in water shoes.

Still doing well on the diet, with weekend splurges excepted, with the aforementioned wine during the week the only failing.  And I realized after that Steelers debacle (9/11/11), there is a reason I drink a lot.  I was proud that during the game I had one, and only one, Heineken.  So, some self-control there.

Weight has been at a plateau of 224-225#, but I did get down to a new low of 222#, which is 27# lost, and I really want to get under 220# this month.  As noted before, I can trace my way back in time to when I last weighed a certain weight, almost as though I’m shedding age with the weight, and this 222# mark would have been 1996-97. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #101 on: Sep 12, 2011 at 11:22 »

Forgot to mention, I've been doing sprints and hills.  There's a nice hill and trail off the green belt that I could never run up full speed, but did this past week.  I was dead when I got to the top.  Caught my breath, then ran the rest of the trail.  Odd thing is, getting to the trail, I was jogging on macadam and felt like crap running, but on the trail, I was a deer. 

Sprints are something I want to incorporate once a week or so, and as you can imagine, it ain't pretty.  Think Rich Eisen doing his annual 40 yard dash, then remember that I'm 5 years older than Eisen, and probably 50# heavier.  I can actually get to speed pretty effectively, but once I hit that speed, it seems like I can't build.  I realize that not having sprinted since, well, forever, means I'll have to build towards it just like running for distance.  I really need to work on sprinting form and building up longer distances.  I don't start out of a runner's crouch, just bolt from walking, and it's fine:  can feel it in the abs, the legs are firing like pistons.  Then, it's like a parachute deploys and I'm wearing clown shoes, flopping along with a blown cylinder or something.  Suggestions on sprinting are welcome.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #102 on: Sep 12, 2011 at 22:25 »

Sprinting, or integrating interval sprints while running is a great way to add a little somtn to your workout.

During the run, sprint for 15 to 20 seconds then "jog" for about 45 seconds to let the heart rate come down. 

I think I have read info about doing that for 10 or 15 minutes as your workout one day.  I believe I have also read about doing that within your workout/run.  Run/jog for5 minutes, do the sprint and rest 1 minute intervals, for 3 minutes, jog for 5 mins, intervals for 3 mins etc etc.

I'm certainly no expert and don't know the nuances of which is more effective/productive.

Nice work Finny.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #103 on: Sep 15, 2011 at 09:08 »

During the run, sprint for 15 to 20 seconds then "jog" for about 45 seconds to let the heart rate come down.

I think I have read info about doing that for 10 or 15 minutes as your workout one day.  I believe I have also read about doing that within your workout/run.  Run/jog for5 minutes, do the sprint and rest 1 minute intervals, for 3 minutes, jog for 5 mins, intervals for 3 mins etc etc.

It's a great (and tough) way to improve your cardiovascular training.

We used to do a very similar drill for soccer.  They were called indian sprints, I think.  They'd break us up into groups of 6 or 7 and we'd jog around the soccer field in a single file.  Whoever was last in line would have to sprint to the front as the group maintained a jogging pace.  So, there's constantly someone in each group that's sprinting to the front.  Probably about as close as you can get to simulating what it's like to play.

I don't remember how long or how many times we'd circle the field.  I do remember it felt like forever though because we usually did it at the end of practice.  If you get close to yiffing, you're probably doing it right.
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2011 at 13:02 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #104 on: Sep 15, 2011 at 11:06 »

That's sort of how I've incorporated sprints into my runs.  I may try Tabata sprints: 20 sec. sprint, 10 sec. rest/jog, 8 times (4 minutes).  Seems like a quick workout to fit in.

Also like to finish runs with a burst when I can. 

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #105 on: Sep 15, 2011 at 12:59 »

Also like to finish runs with a burst when I can. 

I'm tellin' ya, a sheet of plastic will help with the cleanup!

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #106 on: Oct 06, 2011 at 08:58 »

Not much new to report.  The weather is turning very nice, so planning on doing 3 runs per week for the foreseeable future: 2 short runs during the week, and longer runs on Saturdays.  My actual 40 time would be sad compared to even the fattest NFL lineman, but I have noticed that it helps in areas of jogging when I need to shift gears.

Weight is settling at the 223#-224# set point, slightly lower than before, with 222# as the low weight (still).  Want to break the 220# barrier next and tone upper body, so I bought kettlebells for me and the Mrs.  Haven't been doing any weights or upper body workout for, well, a long time.  My plan is to do kettles 2x a week, Tabata method: 20 seconds of max exertion, 10 seconds rest; switch arm and repeat; do 3 exercises this way, and then a second set.  Six minutes.  So far I've done some basic swings, clean and lifts.  Will do some additional stuff like Turkish get ups and situps and stuff.  Anyone else do kettles?  Suggestions welcome.  I'm basically lazy, so I like the 2x 6 minute per week format.  Most guys start at 35# and up, but I wussed and went with 25# because I'm so flippin' out of shape, and 25# kicked my ass the first two sessions.  Well, not really, but 35# might have been too much at this point.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #107 on: Oct 06, 2011 at 16:31 »

Nice work Finny, <225.  No experience wif Kettle Balls (uh, Otis?).  I see the peeps on Biggest Loser using them, but that's as much as I know. 

Kiddie soccer season is killing me right now.  Well, it's a good excuse anyway to not work out.  I need to look a little more presentable by Thanksgiving, so I gotta start hitting it daily here pretty soon.

I got in another big bike ride last weekend.  I finally got another chest strap to get a calorie count for the ride.  This ride wasn't as beefy as the last one I posted the link for.  6.5 hours close to 4,500 ft of climbing and about 36 miles.  About 8 miles was on pavement, so, a little skewed compared to the other ride I do.  Just over 4,500 calorie burn too.  That afternoon/evening and the next morning, I was as hungry as a teenager.  Ate little sugary/bad stuff, so that was good.  I might post a link tomorrow.

Supposed to bust out a 4 - 4.5 hour ride Sunday morning.   

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #108 on: Oct 07, 2011 at 09:48 »

Actually, it's kettlebells, not -balls.  The etymology is "kettle + [bar]bell."  It can be a good way to work out a bunch of muscle groups quickly and efficiently.  You're not doing iso exercises:  even simple swings work legs, glutes, chest, arms, etc.  And BTW, I've read several places that Jillian Michaels doesn't do the kettles correctly.  Wouldn't know, never watched BL.  I'd probably disagree with about half their dietary advice.

Two workouts with the bells and I'm really feeling it.  Some of the swings are supposed to help jumping and explosiveness, so can't wait to see if it gives me a little zip in sprints and jogs. 

The belly ain't perfect, but it's way, way flatter than before.  Really hoping to break 220# with the fall jogging.  Some sense of pending doom with holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's), and the knowledge that no matter how many times I tell people not to gift us cookies or sweets, that's what we'll get.  Hate the temptation.  Been pretty good about not drinking too much during Steelers games this year (no Eagle Rare bourbon... yet!), even with the amazing suckitude they've exhibited. 

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #109 on: Oct 07, 2011 at 11:24 »

Two workouts with the bells and I'm really feeling it.  Some of the swings are supposed to help jumping and explosiveness, so can't wait to see if it gives me a little zip in sprints and jogs.

Finny lookin' to move from "quick and elusive" into "lose left nut" category.

FWIW, recently, I've kinda favored a high protein diet (even going back to supplementing post workout with a whey protein shake) and avoiding pretty much all junk food.  If I get the itch to snack, I usually drown it out with a half or whole MetRx protein bar. 

Overall, I'd say my diet is somewhat strict.  Usually, oatmeal and nutrition bar for breakfast; chicken salad with tons of protein (egg whites, red beans, chick peas, turkey, tuna and some other stuff) for lunch; and whatever the wife whips up for dinner which is generally a relatively healthy combination of either chicken, turkey burgers, occasional red meat, veggies, rice, potatoes, etc.  Basically, whatever the kids are willing to eat.

The goal was to try to bulk up a 'lil and build more muscle (obv), but I've also had the side effect of losing some weight.  I'm sure soccer has contributed some to that as well.  I feel and look leaner as I've got about a 4 pack back, but the problem is I didn't really want to lose weight.  I'm already Wes Welker midget WR sized (less about 15 pounds) and I didn't want to get any lighter.

I suppose that some would consider it a nice problem to have, but it is somewhat frustrating.  As long as the strength continues to improve at the gym and I feel good, I guess I shouldn't really be complaining. 

Anyway, might be a route to consider or some sort of variant of it for those that are looking to shed pounds.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 ... 10 [11] 12 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: