Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 30, 2014 at 11:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 Draft - hot 100  (Read 1418 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Mar 08, 2011 at 09:46 »

OK, so in the Media attachments I have a Hot 100 list, but the attachment is so damned big it won't open up when I attach it to a message.  If you're curious, take a peek.  The first three columns are taken from mock sites, so they're trying to match value to teams at a particular spot.  The next column is the NFLDS top 100, so it's top players untethered from what team might be slotted at a particular spot.  The final column is my very rough top 100, which is for all teams and schemes, not just Steelers, otherwise you wouldn't even see any of this year's top rated QBs at all.

As it is, I'm very down on the QBs.  If you consider this group versus other classes, I doubt any of these QBs would crack the first round in a better year.  Even a guy like Cam Newton, he's had one good season and couldn't connect on his completions at the combine, so he's a big gamble.  If you wanna make the case that Blaine Gabbert is worthy of being drafted top ten, I'd say he'd have a hard time stacking up to the Eli/Livers/Ben class. 

I also ding guys who have personal red flags harder than the other rankings, although Marvin Austen less so, despite the NC scandal and the fact that he appears to be a me-first douche.  I just think he'll excel at the next level. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 10:21 »

Good stuff as always. 

Interesting that you have Peterson going at #1.  No CB has ever been first overall.  I think 4 is the highest.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 10:36 »

Good stuff as always. 

Interesting that you have Peterson going at #1.  No CB has ever been first overall.  I think 4 is the highest.

I had a hard time coming up with a clear #1, but IMO Peterson and Green were better, and safer, than some of the top DL guys.  Peterson looks like he could be a monster CB or S, and if you can get a guy who can be your team's Nnamdi/Revis, wouldn't that be worth a top pick?  Especially in a year where the top QBs are Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert?

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 11:15 »

I had a hard time coming up with a clear #1, but IMO Peterson and Green were better, and safer, than some of the top DL guys.  Peterson looks like he could be a monster CB or S, and if you can get a guy who can be your team's Nnamdi/Revis, wouldn't that be worth a top pick?  Especially in a year where the top QBs are Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert?

I agree with you, from a football perspective.  Plus Rivera is a D guy so that might skew in favor of that side of the ball.  OTOH the Carolina offense is a pile of steaming shit so Green might be the pick here.

The other thing to consider is salary.  CB's are way overpriced and do you want to fork out 8 or 9 per for a rookie?  Course that depends on the rookie cap post CBA... 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 11:31 »

Seems like their should be a similarly titled thread in the "Adult" section.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 11:46 »

I agree with you, from a football perspective.  Plus Rivera is a D guy so that might skew in favor of that side of the ball.  OTOH the Carolina offense is a pile of steaming shit so Green might be the pick here.

The other thing to consider is salary.  CB's are way overpriced and do you want to fork out 8 or 9 per for a rookie?  Course that depends on the rookie cap post CBA... 

I really wasn't even considering price/value at all...

Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 15:29 »

Why Wisniewski and not Brandon Harris?

A LB in the second, guess you think either Wood or Timmons will be gone soon.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 15:58 »

Why Wisniewski and not Brandon Harris?

A LB in the second, guess you think either Wood or Timmons will be gone soon.

The last 2 columns (NFLDS, my top 100) are NOT in any way linked to the teams at that slot, and are therefore NOT mock drafts at all, but rather lists of relative value.  I'm not mocking Wiz and Acho to us.  I also see Harris and Wiz as realtively close in value, but as much as I think Harris is a baller, I generally don't like short CBs, and Harris is short.  In fact, that I have him so high shows that I'm overlooking his midgethood to a certain degree.

BLUE columns = mocks.  BEIGE columns = value lists.  The idea is to just see what names are out there and get a relative idea of where guys might be going.  Sorry if this was confusing.

Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 16:04 »

Gotcha.  SO when are you going to design a Mock Draft Contest so we can spend our time at work mocking the draft?

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: