Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 01, 2014 at 19:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Japan  (Read 697 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Mar 16, 2011 at 18:14 »

They got some crazy shit going on over there, huh?

I've noticed a certain triumphalism about the network coverage of it, too.  Running reporters right up to the edge of some destroyed zone, talking about the devastation, pointing to the half-collapsed local school in the background where there "still may be people trapped alive", then onto the mass confusion and helplessness of the nation as a whole to respond.

They might as well be holding signs that say "This is way worse than the oil spill!" or "Katrina looks like an afternoon shower compared to this!"

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2011 at 08:17 »

I've noticed a certain triumphalism about the network coverage of it, too.  Running reporters right up to the edge of some destroyed zone, talking about the devastation, pointing to the half-collapsed local school in the background where there "still may be people trapped alive", then onto the mass confusion and helplessness of the nation as a whole to respond.

If it bleeds, it leads.  Yeah, the media is sickening with their coverage.  Wonder how many of those reporters are sucking down contaminated air?  Guess we'll know in about 5 yrs.

They might as well be holding signs that say "This is way worse than the oil spill!" or "Katrina looks like an afternoon shower compared to this!"

I've heard that there has been zero looting.  That certainly says something about our two cultures and really bears out the two old sayings, one American and one Japanese.  We've probably all heard them before:  The American, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease," and the Japanese, "The nail that sticks out gets hammered down."  Yeah, buddy.

It's not sounding good for those nuclear reactors and I've heard the disaster spurred many European reactors to be inspected, some shut down and production plans halted in other cases.  Bet plans to develop new reactors here have taken a beating.  Extra dollars for renewable energy, anyone?

Isn't it kinda ironic that, in the end, a nuclear reactor, with all it's atomic energy and computerized technology, is generating energy from steam?

One reporter said what a shame it is that there's been very little fund raising for this disaster as compared to the tsunami in Indonesia or the earthquake in Haiti.  [sarcasm]Really?  I wonder why?[/sarcasm]
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2011 at 08:23 by jonzr » Logged

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: