Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 18:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tinkering with Mocks  (Read 2436 times)
TwistedLemon

« on: Apr 10, 2011 at 10:24 »

I few weeks back, I posted my initial mock of the season and surprisingly got decent feedback.  Based on a little more reading (inclusive of Finney's write up's) I have 3 additional ones.....although I think all in all my first is my favorite.

Mock 2:
1.  Ras I Dawling, CB  Virginia:  Dont see him being there at 2 (and not projecting trades). 
2.  Marcus Cannon, OT/OG, TCU: Not confident he will be around this late, but WTH
3.  Will Rackey, OG, Lehigh:  Another that I think could potentially be gone by our 3rd as I think others have him rated higher
4.  Chris Culliver, CB/FS:  No change here
5.  Anthony Gray, DT, Southern Miss
6.  Marc Schiechl, LB, Colorado School of Mines
7.  Byron Stingley, OT, Louisville

Mock 3:

1.  Derek Sherrod, OT, Miss St
2.  Robert Sands, S/OLB, WVU  (This would be the Schizophrenic pick referred to in the write ups)
3.  Rashad Carmichael, CB, Va Tech
4.  Ian Williams, DT, Notre Dame
5.  Brandon Fusco, OG, Slippery Rock
6.  Greg Smith, TE, Texas
7.  Mike Holmes, CB/S, Syracuse

and finally, Mock 4:
1.  J.J. Watt, DE, Wisonson
2.  Marcus Coleman, OT/OG, TCU
3.  Rashad Carmichael, CB, Va Tech
4.  Chris Culliver, FS, S Carolina
5.  Brandon Fusco, OG, Slippery Rock
7.  Chris Nield, DT, WVU

"My reality check bounced"
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2011 at 17:10 »

I'm starting to think Ras might need to be a R1 pick.  Like that first draft, though R6 = no idea.

Mock 3, love Sherrod as well; Sands, not so much; the rest, good.

Mock 4, how the hell do we get JJ Watt?  I'd shit my pants.  Marcus Coleman in R2?  Really?  Again, the rest is really solid.

Definitely liking your way of thinking about this draft class. 

Good mocks, keep 'em coming.  In fact, if you want to do some draft writeups, please do!

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
TwistedLemon

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2011 at 21:31 »

I have started to lean towards Dawling in 1, in large part because I dont think the OT will be there, it is a definate need, and no way do I think we will be there in round 2.  Dont know what I would do if BOTH Sherrod AND Dawling were available........

in the first one (mock 2) alot of "if's" on there.  I really dont think Rackey is going to be there at the end of the 3rd.  The roun d 6 LB is actually pulled from your thread of writeups......a link or something that was posted within.  Focus was on the other guy listed, but I like the numbers of this kid for a late flyer.

In mock 3, went with Sands as being the Schizophrenic pick you described our pattern of.  Of course I am a bit biased being a WVU person, but I like Sands.  I was greatly disappointed in his play this season, but have wondered about his ability to transition into an OLB.  That is not saying I think he would fail as a S, but am not sure I see him at the FS spot.  Friend of mine first saw him at the Gator bowl against FSU 2 years ago and came back swearing that it was Polamalu on the field.

Mock 4, I actually was shocked to see myself put Watt there as well.  I have seen him in mocks listed everywhere from about 18-55, with one actually having us taking him.  Decided to go with it and see what I came up with

Was playing with another one as well....in it, took nothing but big uglies from both O and D lines for 5 picks and 2 members of secondary.  Would not be terribly displeased with something like that, but still tinkering with it.

"My reality check bounced"
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2011 at 09:36 »

Sands is an interesting prospect. 

Previously wrote: 

WVU’s Robert Sands has the size that’s both impressive and worrisome.  He’s 6’4”, actually 6’4” and a bit more, and at 217#, 4.53 he looks like a beast on paper.  Ranked 119th (R3-4), I have a hard time seeing Sands being a cover S deep, and frankly he looks a bit stiff to be a S at all.  Guys this tall just don’t have that natural smoothness that safeties require.  I’d consider Sands more as a guy who might transition to ILB, with good hitting skills and superior speed and size for that position, if he can add some bulk.  Otherwise, pass.

I watched a little more of Sands, and I'm revising that opinion somewhat.

Still think he's best sideline to sideline, rather than turn and go.  Those are good ILB traits, but the more I look at his build the less it says he could ever be an ILB, especially in our system.  Most of the PBUs and INTs I saw were on passes he could make a clean break on, ducks and underthrows, very little defensed running toe to toe with a receiver.  Not great hands on some of those, even as gimmes. 

Sands strikes me as a guy who was a big fish in a small pond, so to speak, but I think he's going to find transitioning to a league where you're facing Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees et al. a big challenge.  He's not as fast and smooth as some of these CB/S types.

Really loves to hit and will drag a guy down like a cheetah taking down an antelope, but there's no way he could ever transition to OLB here.  I see him as a SS, without the natural cover and athleticisim of Troy, or possibly a 4-3 OLB.  Sands just scares me, so I think he's a guy I look at as a value rounder if at all. 

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2011 at 10:49 »

School of Mines has a football team?!?!  WTF - those are the brainiacs of brainiacs. 

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2011 at 10:58 »

School of Mines has a football team?!?!  WTF - those are the brainiacs of brainiacs. 

SIN G THE SCHOOL OF MIMES!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Apr 15, 2011 at 09:18 »

The people that attend Mines have the same social awkwardness as the mimes, and are just as interesting - 0%.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2011 at 13:56 »

Dude would be a beast on the Oline.  Put up that invisible wall - stops the pass rush cold, great sight lines for the QB.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Apr 15, 2011 at 15:13 »

Dude would be a beast on the Oline.  Put up that invisible wall - stops the pass rush cold, great sight lines for the QB.

And just imagine how exciting his touchdown celebration would be.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Apr 15, 2011 at 17:46 »

And just imagine how exciting his touchdown celebration would be.

Goes down the invisible stairs to the basement for a bottle of Dom?

SINGE SHIELDS AND YARNELL!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness, I remember their show.  And that makes me sad, and old, and, well, sad.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: