Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 25, 2014 at 01:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ion turntable  (Read 621 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Apr 01, 2011 at 17:37 »

So I've got, I don't know, a few hundred vinyls in the basement, after how many lost or tossed.  They've been through the worst of conditions, cats pissing on them, bad storage conditions, general wear and tear.  But I saw that Kohls had a sale on the Ion, I had a 30% coupon, fitty bucks later I'm recording Sticky Fingers.  Never got it on CD for whatever reason and Amazonians complained that it was over-compressed.  Overall, very impressed by how it recorded.  Want to get some stuff you can't find on CD, like the Eno/Byrne "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts" track with the imam that hasn't been on the CD for a while.  Recording Robert Fripp's "League of Gentlemen," which is half a side of Frippertronics and half a side of Fripp trying out a punkier sound.  So "God Save the King" is recording and I'm thinking, OK, this is so totally a Robert Fripp album until about the 11 minute mark when the track turns fucking mutant.  His guitar becomes a growly beast.  Really would never had any reason to dig this out of mothballs otherwise, but glad I did.

A lot of gaps in the vinyl, a lot of weird stuff.  Some bizarro industrial and punk.  I think the Eno albums should sound good as they were heavy vinyl.

I'll update this in a couple of decades when I'm done.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2011 at 16:10 »

How does the recording sound? I know you said in your original post you were impressed by how it recorded but does it retain the vinyl sound or does it sound "digitized"?

reason I ask is I have alot of vinyl and some that I'd love to transfer to CD for driving to work or whatever but I prefer the vinyl sound to the cd sound. People have told me that the recordings from turntables like that don't retain the original vinyl sound.

Just curious, any feedback is appreciated.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2011 at 20:36 »

Damn you, man, for too long has your vinyl slumbered behind the tim couch!

Seriously, though.  How does it connect to your computer? Do you have to download software? Do you have to edit track breaks?

I've been waiting to buy an mp3 turntable, but until now I was afraid of having to email jonzr within seconds of opening the box.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2011 at 08:35 »

So penso, are you getting back into dj'ing and getting one of these?  I have no idea how those suckers work.

I think this is what finny was talking about.  I believe you can hook these up to your USB port.

And I think one can hook up a regular TT to a sound card using the stereo RCA jacks that you'd plug into an amp.  However, not sure if a preamp btw the TT and the sound card is needed.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2011 at 10:18 »

Seriously, though.  How does it connect to your computer? Do you have to download software? Do you have to edit track breaks?

Dude, shake the sheets and you'll probably find a trio of young Asians that could answer questions you've not even thought of yet.

You & Crosby ain't never gonna be the same.

:lingering:
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2011 at 11:17 »

So penso, are you getting back into dj'ing and getting one of these?  I have no idea how those suckers work.

Nah, not beyond a spot for fun now and then.  There's a guy I sometimes gig with who's a professional and he has a crazy set up that looks like a turntable, plays like a turnatable, but in fact digitizes the analog as it plays so you can do all kinds of crazy effects and beat match very easily.  I was never into that kind of dj'ing (I'm more from the "respect the track" school); I just want to get alot of rare stuff onto my ipod so I can show off.

You & Crosby ain't never gonna be the same.

I guess I should have contacted the Lindros family doctors.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2011 at 18:52 »

Guess it all depends on what your expectations are.  For me, like Penso, it's more about converting vinyl I don't want to have to RE-buy (and getting out of print stuff) into digital form so I can listen on rather limited systems: iPod, maybe car stereos.  If you're expanding it back out to large format, i.e., DJing or even large room systems, you'll likely hear the limitations.

Basically, it's a low-quality needle, and you're converting to a compressed medium.  But for the purpose of record and go, it's cool.  I mean, a few minor crackles aside, it sounds no worse than CD compressed tracks.  I rip 5 or 6 LPs, it's paid for. 

Setup is a breeze with Mac, USB cable into the back, download the newest SW from the Ion site, up and recording in zero time.  Windows, who the fuck knows, you fuckers are on your own.  Downside is the Ion SW doesn't separate tracks.  I downloaded Audacity SW, which supposedly does that but I have yet to figure out how.  That means you miss the track cutoff you have to re-do, which was the case with the 13 min. Fripp bugger, 3x.  You type in track and album info, but once in iTunes pulls in album art, so, cool. 

A cheap way to get out of print stuff and long neglected vinyl to the iTunes.  I mean, I'd never shell out cent one for old Birthday Party, Nick Cave, etc. on Amazon or iTunes, and now don't have to.  Keep finding stuff in the bins that's out of print, like Diamanda Galas.  Can record all the old Butthole Surfers LPs in full hilarity.

If you want super hi fidelity, maybe your best bet is using a higher quality turntable and an iMic or similar device, but for me, the ease of use is key. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2011 at 20:26 »

Quote from: Finnegans Wake
  Keep finding stuff in the bins that's out of print, like Diamanda Galas 

Never cared for her personally, but my and jasonic's buddy Ken was her sound guy for quite a few years.  Dude's a huge steeler fan.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: